PDA

View Full Version : Let’s see your carry gun.

Pages : [1] 2

Dave Hoback
12-04-2022, 01:06 AM
I carry this pistol every time I leave my home. I built it as I do all my firearms the last many years. The frame is an 8”% from Polymer 80. It has the close to the size & feel of and accepts the parts of a Glock 26. While the barrel, trigger assembly are factory Glock, almost all other internal parts are from Shadow Systems. They make Glock factory replacement parts, which are higher quality than Glock factory parts. It is 9x19 & loaded with Federal Tactical HST 124gr.

https://i.ibb.co/MGGqQJ8/6-C01-CD21-7148-46-E1-9404-A09-ED15-B876-E.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

The holster is an inexpensive IWB Kydex unit. In my youth, I sunk quite a bit of money into expensive Kydex holsters. But some years back I started working with Kydex myself & learned something important…. Kydex is Kydex! LOL! I’m sure will be proponents of leather, and that’s fine. I will only use Kydex as it provides sure retention without an extra enclosure. (No lock, no snap loop, etc.) Same reason I prefer to carry a striker fire pistol with no external thumb safety. Just one more thing that either slows ya down, or aids in shooting yourself in the leg! (See Tex Grebner) No, I like simplicity. Kydex IWB, worn at about 5 o’clock.
https://i.ibb.co/MnJTFC8/465-B2-C83-E278-447-F-B08-E-D75-C8-D47258-C.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

So…. What ya’s got?

big honkin jeep
12-04-2022, 04:14 PM
Retired my G19 last year for the Sig 365. Easy to conceal and shoots fantastic. I love the capacity. Everyone I know who carrys a duty weapon always says "how'd they do that" when they find out its capacity.

Blue Avenger
12-04-2022, 04:21 PM
just an MP9

Handi204
12-04-2022, 05:34 PM
Standard Glock 43.

J.Baker
12-04-2022, 09:04 PM
Presently it's a Kahr CM9 in a Crossbreed IWB, but looking to change that up soon.

Had been waiting to get the new Savage Stance in for review before buying something else just in case I liked it, but think it's going to be a hard pass on it at this point as it just doesn't feel right in my hand and frankly I can barely hit the broad side of a barn with it so far. lol

Dave Hoback
12-04-2022, 09:20 PM
Retired my G19 last year for the Sig 365. Easy to conceal and shoots fantastic. I love the capacity. Everyone I know who carrys a duty weapon always says "how'd they do that" when they find out its capacity.

You said it. Yeah, Sig has revolutionized packing 10lbs. ‘o crap in a 5lb. package for sure! But it’s actually easy to see how they did it. Steel vs Polymer mags number one. Also, the mag is a good bit longer than other compacts, and this is aided in part by a slightly higher bore centerline. Last thing, (and this is actually a bit of a con), the polymer wall thickness of the frame, & magwell especially in the P365 is paper thin as compacts go. It’s not a gun to last, if shot regularly. Now… shot once in a while, and a as a carry gun, FANTASTIC! Just don’t expect 100,000+++ rounds through it like a Glock!

I sincerely thought about one. But in the end, if it hadn’t been about building my own pistol, I would have chose the SW M&P Shield. I just think the Shield is the finest shooting ultra compact 9mm. But, that’s just me.

J.Baker
12-04-2022, 09:43 PM
Only reason I don't own any Sig's is that they lack an ambi slide catch/release. Being a southpaw, that's kinda important to me. So, since the aforementioned Stance is out of the running I'll probably end up with what I'd been looking at previously - either a M&P Shield or a subcompact 9mm 1911. Trying to avoid buying any more poly framed pistols at this point as they have horrible resale values with the market being so flooded over the last decade.

Dave Hoback
12-04-2022, 10:06 PM
Jim… didn’t you have any nuns to Rapp your Left hand enough for you stop using it? LOL! Seriously, I was a big proponent of shooting both Right & Left handed with pistols. For exactly the scenario of loss of use of one’s primary hand. In my case, yes, but more to happening during a firefight; in the heat of battle so to speak. Unfortunately I didn’t get enough time to true Ambi skills before my accident. But I was “Ok” enough that I could instruct use to others when I was pistol training.

I also had a Kahr… a CW9 years & years ago. Ya know…. To this day, that Kahr was the nicest “feeling” single stack pistol I’ve ever used. (And I’ve used just about ALL of them, aside from a few new models.) The Kahr just felt pleasant in hand. But holy cow that trigger! At like 9lbs or something! As good as the gun felt in hand, was as BAD as the trigger felt to my index finger! BLAH!

big honkin jeep
12-05-2022, 08:37 AM
In addition to the 365 I also have the G42 which I tried for a while in the summer. At a nearly identical size, the power of the 9mm over the .380 and double the capacity made the Sig a no brainer. Yeah theres a difference in weight but weight doesn't print like size.
A good gunbelt like the Bigfoot with the steel core really helps and even carries the Big G20 and a spare mag without sagging.

8815]

Dave Hoback
12-05-2022, 06:12 PM
I agree. I wasn’t a fan of the G42 from the when it first came out. I continue to argue people today… the 42 is different. It’s not a Glock. I know many disagree & that’s fine. But to me they just feel wrong. And the 380.. yeah, forget that. While modern jacketed hollow points have really leveled the playing field among the more popular pistol calibers: 9mm, 40SW, 45ACP, 38spc, and even the outliers like 357mag, 10mm, 357Sig & such, they all perform within acceptable limits. Where as the 380acp consistently falls short of both penetration & expansion. That is not to say they don’t kill. However, in a shootout situation for one’s life, killing the adversary should not be the primary objective. The primary objective is to STOP the threat! Stopping is key, not killing. Being shot in the liver is most assuredly a death sentence. But if an attacker is shot in the liver, they may very well still be able to inflict harm on you. Won’t help much in that scenario if the attacker dies 15 minutes later of their wounds.

J.Baker
12-05-2022, 10:29 PM
Jim… didn’t you have any nuns to Rapp your Left hand enough for you stop using it? LOL! Seriously, I was a big proponent of shooting both Right & Left handed with pistols. For exactly the scenario of loss of use of one’s primary hand. In my case, yes, but more to happening during a firefight; in the heat of battle so to speak. Unfortunately I didn’t get enough time to true Ambi skills before my accident. But I was “Ok” enough that I could instruct use to others when I was pistol training.

I also had a Kahr… a CW9 years & years ago. Ya know…. To this day, that Kahr was the nicest “feeling” single stack pistol I’ve ever used. (And I’ve used just about ALL of them, aside from a few new models.) The Kahr just felt pleasant in hand. But holy cow that trigger! At like 9lbs or something! As good as the gun felt in hand, was as BAD as the trigger felt to my index finger! BLAH!

Yeah, the Kahr triggers are a bit on the heavy site and have a mile-long pull being a DA trigger, but I actually prefer that in a carry gun as a safety feature. Simply put, you know it isn't going to go off unless you deliberately make it. Also, in a high adrenalin situation you don't even notice the long or heavy pull. Fortunately the pull on the two I've owned have both been right around 6-lbs. out the box.

Dave Hoback
12-06-2022, 03:38 PM
I agree… when I was younger, I was for a time part of the lightest trigger possible crowd! But as I grew older and learned, I found that the pull weight is only one factor of a trigger’s fe. And I also settled into heavier triggers for my carry pistol. But I’m satisfied with the 5.5lb disconnector for mine. Although I still use a heavier return spring & polished everything so it feels smooth & has a snapping reset! However, I was not so lucky with my Kahr. Mine was over 8lbs and yes… horribly long pull. Tons of overtravel & not the best reset either. But it still was a very nice pistol. And it was given a good home to a married couple who friends of mine. They had both just got their LTCF in Pa at the time, so it was my gift to them.

Redleg11B
12-07-2022, 11:16 AM

M&P 2.0 full size 9mm. Looking for a 5.5" threaded barrel for it if anybody has ideas.

wbm
12-07-2022, 12:16 PM
S&W Airweight. 38+P

Dave Hoback
12-07-2022, 08:36 PM
M&P 2.0 full size 9mm. Looking for a 5.5" threaded barrel for it if anybody has ideas.

Not a 5.5, but a 5”. https://www.agencyarms.com/agency-arms-premier-line-match-grade-drop-in-barrel-compatible-with-mp9-m20-5-copy

Redleg11B
12-09-2022, 09:21 AM
Not a 5.5, but a 5”. https://www.agencyarms.com/agency-arms-premier-line-match-grade-drop-in-barrel-compatible-with-mp9-m20-5-copy

Thanks. Stock barrel is a 5", so I need the little extra to stick out the front of the slide. I've seen some out of stock...every time I look for them. I may just forego the thought of a suppressed semi, as it would only be used at the range anyway.

prdatr
12-11-2022, 05:25 PM
S&W Airweight. 38+P

Yup and you won't leave any cases behind.

Magnum Mike
12-17-2022, 04:25 PM
8915 Kahr P380 with its pocket holster. It's dispatched a number of vermin with Federal 90 Hydra Shocks. Very accurate and always available. When I belt carry it's the P380's big brother, PM45. Huge fan of the Kahr pistols regardless of the long dao trigger pull as it's light and super smooth, they're reliable as the day is long and way more accurate than you'd think possible from such a tiny package.

mrk1500
12-17-2022, 05:21 PM
Have a PM 40 great to pocket carry and works well

Magnum Mike
12-19-2022, 04:48 PM
Have a PM 40 great to pocket carry and works well That was my first Kahr pistol. The 40, out of a PM sized handgun, is a serious handful. I carried one for several years until i tied into the PM45's. I was so impressed with that package that i completely converted from all other carry guns to them. It was only recently, within the last few years, that i started carrying a P380, when i "couldn't" carry a gun. The P380 carries easily in numerous ways. Today, i typically have the P380 at all times and am only a short distance from a PM45 or larger defensive device! :D