PDA

View Full Version : Let’s see your carry gun.

Pages : 1 [2]

Dave Hoback
12-19-2022, 07:31 PM
That was my first Kahr pistol. The 40, out of a PM sized handgun, is a serious handful. I carried one for several years until i tied into the PM45's. I was so impressed with that package that i completely converted from all other carry guns to them. It was only a recently, within the last few years, that i started carrying a P380, when i "couldn't" carry a gun. The P380 carries easily in numerous ways. Today, i typically have the P380 at all times and am only a short distance from a PM45 or larger defensive device! :D

Yeah they are… Same with these micro 9mm’s. Stout recoil. Of all the hundreds & hundreds of handguns I’ve fired, the worst has been the S&W 340PD. Scandium frame, hammerless snub nose revolver in 357 Magnum. With full power 357’s, little thing had the most punishing recoil I’ve ever felt. Yeah, the 500SW Magnum was incredibly powerful. But it didn’t hurt like the 340 did. That tiny little snub nose grip just nothing to hold onto. It would flip around & smack your palm with unbelievable force. The range I managed, we actually had one as a rental. And I saw it come apart one day. Just blew up in a persons hand. Thank The Lord, they weren’t hurt at all.

wbm
12-19-2022, 07:53 PM
Yup and you won't leave any cases behind.

Nope.

Dave Hoback
12-19-2022, 09:17 PM
In a defensive situation, worrying about leaving cases behind probably isn’t even on your radar. ;)

You should carry what you like. But revolvers do make fine carry guns: small, no external safety. My only reserve is the limited capacity. Six rounds of 38spl just doesn’t instill confidence in me. Not to mention the old “widow maker” didn’t get it’s name for nothing! Although modern hollow points have leveled the playing field, so I will concede that is moot. Now, know, I know… overwhelming majority of gun fights are over within a few shots. But that’s just not comforting. It’s why I carry a Glock 26 type pistol. 12+1 of 9mm. And it will take any of the larger Glock mags for target shooting, plinking or, “ahem!”, reloads! Last week I picked up a BladeTech Klipt IWB holster, and I’ve been wearing it appendix-thigh carry everywhere I’ve gone.

Magnum Mike
12-20-2022, 12:12 AM
The 340 and 360 scandium guns are some of the most painful guns to shoot on the planet, like my, now discontinued, 45acp Double Tap derringers, the absolutely nastiest handguns I've ever shot in my life. 6 rounds was my longest shot string as the pain in the palm of my hand was just unbelievable and I've had some crazy handguns, like a 405 Winchester with no brake!

Dave Hoback
12-20-2022, 01:14 AM
The 340 and 360 scandium guns are some of the most painful guns to shoot on the planet, like my, now discontinued, 45acp Double Tap derringers, the absolutely nastiest handguns I've ever shot in my life. 6 rounds was my longest shot string as the pain in the palm of my hand was just unbelievable and I've had some crazy handguns, like a 405 Winchester with no brake!

No lie! When I was running that range, newbies would come to shoot and ask me what was the most Powerful gun in the rental case was. I’d tell them the 8” 44Mag was most powerful on paper & had the biggest “bang”. But it was the M&P 340 snub that was the most powerful in HAND! Of course they wouldn’t believe me… scoff at & make fun of the puny little 2” revolver that barely even weighed anything. Yeah! Until they fired the first round & grimaced in pain! Only maybe 1 or 2 in 10 would fire more than a few 357’s with it. Many people, ONE single round was enough for them to put it down & leave it. LOL!

Julesk
12-21-2022, 09:35 PM
Walther PPQ45

Gman628
01-06-2023, 10:32 PM
I use to carry a S&W 642, but for the last 12 years I've carried a Sig P229 40 cal., yep, a bit heavy and bulky for a small frame guy but like ankle weights, after a while you kind of get used to it. lol

Stumpkiller
01-06-2023, 11:31 PM

NY State is the land of strange laws. So I went with a S&W M&P Shield 9 with MagGuts +2 springs and followers. That gives me 9+1 in the short magazine (shown) and 10 in the spare extended magazine(s) I carry in a DeSantis pocket sheath. At the time it was the smallest "legal" capacity 9mm and narrowest (under 1" wide) and lightest compact I could get to stay just within the NY 10 round restriction. And I have been well pleased with the width, weight, and 100% reliability it offers. Mine is the V1.0 with out thumb safety. I'm VERY happy with the accuracy and reliability.

Last count I had 10 different holsters for all sorts of various carry methods. From obvious to very concealed (but less available). Again, NY has odd "embarrassment" laws that could get me in hot water if a "Karen" sees my pistol printed through my clothing and has a fit.

For many, many years (since 1985?) I carried a Colt Officer's .45 ACP when fishing, hunting or hiking. Heavy by modern standards, but awsome for ability. Still carry it on occasion. And, with a Ceiner .22 LR conversion slide, it is a hoot for plinking and barn duty.

nksmfamjp
01-08-2023, 09:55 AM

Flintlock
01-20-2023, 08:07 PM
I call thirds on the SW Airweight 38 Spc. It is either the 38 spa or the Glock 43X with 1791 formed holster.
Mike

Dave Hoback
01-20-2023, 09:10 PM
Over a month ago now I picked up a Blade-Tech Klipt Holster & I’ve been carrying right side Appendix. Typically 1-2:30 O’clock to position depending. 1O’clock while walking & spin to 2:30 when sitting down, otherwise the holster stabs me with intent! Been much better than the 5 O’clock I’ve been carrying the last decade. I can still spin this holster back to 5 position if I care to, but I don’t think I’ll be going back. And being it was a mere $25 was quite pleasant.
https://i.ibb.co/tP5YDgP/D286-C883-B454-4080-955-B-B570141-DDF99.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

This will be great as the new outdoor range I just joined has several individualized pistol “booths” walled in concrete where we can run Holster & Mag Reload drills. Gives me an avenue to Instruct again, I have brother in my Fellowship who wants to start practicing these types of defensive drills. While I was looking to join one of the 1000yd ranges, unfortunately the 3hours from my house keeps me from, I am thankful it at least has a 300yd rifle range. Much better than 100yds anyway.:rolleyes:
https://i.ibb.co/X7k6PKM/A8-A16-F18-0793-49-FA-8042-9242-E6-FD68-C4.jpg (https://ibb.co/v3vfWTR)