View Full Version : Deer Talley???

Pages : 1 [2]

EFBell
12-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Agreed, I do have the skull cap drying out in the garage to add to the rest of them. Most of the bucks that I have taken I kept the horns regardless of stature. There is a memory attached to each of them.

titus2423
12-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Hey guys. Future father-in-law got two yesterday, a beautiful 8 point and a monster of a doe. Someone hit the buck in the shoulder so it was walking on 3 legs. When he finally had a clear shot on him, he put a .300 Savage round through his heart and dropped him in the spot. The guy who shot the shoulder out said "You found my deer." FF-I-L said "No, that's my deer. I'm the one who made the shot that counted." The guy was kind of torqued but he understood that all he did was wounded it and walked off. I myself have yet to get anything. I'm hoping Friday and Saturday will be just as successful as it was yesterday and Monday for the guys I've been hunting with.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/titus2423/IMG_0069.jpg

pdog06
12-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Someone hit the buck in the shoulder so it was walking on 3 legs. When he finally had a clear shot on him, he put a .300 Savage round through his heart and dropped him in the spot. The guy who shot the shoulder out said "You found my deer." FF-I-L said "No, that's my deer. I'm the one who made the shot that counted." The guy was kind of torqued but he understood that all he did was wounded it and walked off.

Your FFIL is correct! The one that puts the "kill" shot on it is the one who should claim it. I guess that could differ if you and a few buddies were tracking one you shot and they shot it for you during tracking or something.

Was the guy who shot it first actually tracking the deer, or just came over when he heard the shot from your FFIL? Doesnt really matter. It came walking by your FFIL and they werent hunting together, so it is his deer IMO.

pdog06
12-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Went out again on Friday and put down another doe with my 220f 20ga slug gun. So far this season the gun(and me) are 3 for 3.

Good thing I got the Leupold scope with the ballistic reticle with drop out to 300 yards ::). I shot this one at a whopping 8 yards away, as I was walking thru the woods and it jumped up right in front of me. I had just enough time to throw the gun up, aim, and shoot. Needless to say it dropped in its tracks. I cant post a pic of it because the Federal 3" Barnes tipped bullet left a HUGE hole, and it was a bloody mess on both sides of the deer. I also think I may have burnt some of the hair off the deers left side due to the muzzle blast :D ;D.

I did see a buck on both Thursday and Friday night, but let them both walk as they were small, young deer and I know there are bigger ones in that spot. One was a 3pt(10-12" spikes with a fork on 1 side) that came in to my grunt call, and stood under my stand at about 5-6 yards for 30-45 minutes. It was really cool to see him get all pissed off cause he couldnt find the deer that was grunting :D.

Now gun season is over for shooting a buck, but I have 5 weeks of archery left after Christmas to try to fill my buck tag(with my other Savage/Diamond). I can still shoot a doe with my 220f during those same 5 weeks though. That gun is so much fun to shoot I just cant put it away for the year yet ;).

titus2423
12-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Someone hit the buck in the shoulder so it was walking on 3 legs. When he finally had a clear shot on him, he put a .300 Savage round through his heart and dropped him in the spot. The guy who shot the shoulder out said "You found my deer." FF-I-L said "No, that's my deer. I'm the one who made the shot that counted." The guy was kind of torqued but he understood that all he did was wounded it and walked off.

Your FFIL is correct! The one that puts the "kill" shot on it is the one who should claim it. I guess that could differ if you and a few buddies were tracking one you shot and they shot it for you during tracking or something.

Was the guy who shot it first actually tracking the deer, or just came over when he heard the shot from your FFIL? Doesnt really matter. It came walking by your FFIL and they werent hunting together, so it is his deer IMO.

He was tracking it, only because every time he got close to it, it would get up and hobble away. I think he was right in every aspect of how he went about it, and I'm not just sayin that because he'll be family some day. I completely agree. You kill it, you tag it.

Finally got one on Friday. Got her at about 3:20. I was with my future father-in-law and another hunting buddy. We had just walked out of one set of woods and gotten into another when a couple of guys in an elevated blind told us we kicked some deer out and they circled back in. Since I hadn't gotten one yet, it was my call to go after them so I said "Why not?" I posted in the corner of a field that was against the woods the deer came out of. The two guys I was with went about 150 and 300 yards down the field to push the deer back towards me. It worked perfectly! The deer came up along the field edge about 10 yards into the woods. The lead doe came up right next to me at 10 yards and didn't even see me. I pulled the gun up and fired. I managed to screw it up and hit her low; as she was going down a hill in another field, all I could see was her backside and snow flyin all around. I shattered both shoulders. Ugh...I go after her and she kept getting up and moving.I shot at her again but she hopped away as I fired and missed. I finally got close to her and she wasn't getting up anymore. Sent one to her head and, just as I did, she flopped it around and I misses again. I collected myself for a couple minutes and finally sent one at her head that connected. I'm a bit ashamed of myself for screwing up the initial shot but what matters is she did not suffer long and she'll make for some good dinners. Sorry for the book guys. Now for a pic...

By the way, the gun is empty. Emptied her out before she was field dressed and this is just where we stopped for a break and some pics. That's the good ole 200 Stevens in .270 leanin' against the deer. First season in 6 years, and the first deer with that gun. What a year!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/titus2423/IMG_0077.jpg

PawPaw
12-22-2010, 04:46 PM
I've got two so far, a doe with the .30-06 and a little spike buck with the .243. I'll be back on the stand tomorrow morning, looking for #3.

There's only three more weeks left in the gun season, and I've got tags to fill.

Out West
12-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Two so far - but the season here is just about over. One 10 Pt and one 8 Pt (I posted about this one since I shot it with my Tactical FP in 223). Here is a pic of the 10 Pt. It was taken with my CZ 527 in 7.62X39. I've taken more deer with this rifle than any I have ever owned.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc23/shj2000/IMG_0008-1.jpg

Going out for the last hunt of the season over the New Year weekend. Rut seems to have settled down, but we'll see. :)

Out
West

hogwire
01-09-2011, 10:57 PM
2, a 16" 8pt buck with my BowTech Destroyer 350 and a doe with my 22-243Middlestead. Got one more weekend of bow season but what little butt I got I left layin under my stand Sat. morning when it froze off and it's not even really cold yet.

lomfs24
01-10-2011, 06:29 PM
My wife got her first deer since our kids were born, she got a doe.
My 10 year old boy got his first deer this year. He got a doe too.
And I got a whitetail doe.

3 deer in the freezer, and two firsts! It was a great deer season for sure.

I didn't post pics because if you've seen one whitetail doe, you seen them all.

But here is a pic of my kid. He was so excited.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32134027&l=4cdd521f0d&id=1181972354

I put up a little bit better photo of him. Same photo just tweeked the color and shading a little to make it more visible.