PDA

View Full Version : Barrel options besides ER Shaw for rebarrel or rebore?

Pages : [1] 2

Sh40674
02-16-2022, 08:07 PM
So I've got my .243 donor rifle and ready to go to a .358 win (iowa has to be .35 cal or above)
So the shaw barrels, which I'm ok with, seem a little heavy. I was planning on keeping weight down by keeping the barrel 20 or 21 inches.

Before that I want to explore other options.

What companies offer a good barrel in 358 around the ~250 price range? I'd like to find someone with a more tapered barrel like the stock 243 is if possible

Also what about a rebore? What is the process for that? Just send the barrel in? And when they're done just install and headspace the same? I know nothing about a rebore so any info here is appreciated.

Charleslv
02-16-2022, 08:34 PM
I like ER Shaw and have had a few but you could go with:
https://pac-nor.com/prefit/ in the $300 price range

Dave Hoback
02-16-2022, 08:43 PM
I know one in that price range for Savage... ER Shaw! :surprise:

The weight is dictated by the barrel profile. The ER Shaw aren’t any heavier than any other barrel of equal length & profile. Because it needs to be .358 cal, the contour will be heavy Sporter. But being a larger caliber, it will actually be lighter than other barrels in small bore size. Going 20” as you indicated, will be a healthy weight savings.

Blue Avenger
02-16-2022, 08:48 PM
go to bug holes.com and look

celltech
02-16-2022, 09:08 PM
You can rechamber some barrels depending on what it is and what you want to make it, but you can't rebore the entire barrel. Bartlein has tried it and there is no easy way to keep the new bore concentric.

tomme boy
02-17-2022, 04:19 AM
http://www.35caliber.com/index.html

these guys do a fantastic job

Dave Hoback
02-17-2022, 12:25 PM
They don’t list Savage. Doesn’t look like they make Pre Fit barrels.

celltech
02-17-2022, 12:41 PM
If you can bump your budget up another $100 X-Caliber has another sale starting tomorrow and will make a .358 It will be a much higher quality barrel than a Shaw...

Dave Hoback
02-17-2022, 01:10 PM
Now THAT is a fantastic suggestion. I agree, X-Caliber are super high quality.

Sh40674
02-17-2022, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys I'll check x caliber tomorrow. I dont mind going with er shaw.. just digging deeper *some* people have had big fouling issues. I know the overwhelming majority don't, but just checking options first

Dave Hoback
02-17-2022, 06:42 PM
Er Shaw are “Shooters Grade” barrels. They will provide good to very good accuracy & sometimes even exquisite! But they are not premium Target barrels in tier with Bartlein, Shillen, McGowan or newcomers like X-Caliber. They just aren’t. But the prices reflect that. If this was to be a hunting rifle, I wouldn’t hesitate for a moment using an Shaw barrel. If the firearm was to be for competition or even simple enjoyment of target shooting, I would look at one of the aforementioned, among others.

Highbrass
02-17-2022, 07:44 PM
Try Tony @ Crown Ridge Barrel Works.
Lots of barrels in stock, great prices & he can chamber for just about any caliber
Highly recommended
https://www.crownridgebarrelworks.com/product-category/barrels/savage/

Txhillbilly
02-18-2022, 10:56 AM
E.R. Shaw barrels catch some flack, but I've never owned one that didn't shoot as good as many other brands for less money. Are people winning competition's or setting world records with them? Probably not, but for most shooter's, you won't know the difference.
The smallest 5 shot group that I've ever shot was with a Shaw barrel - a .122" group, and it was backed up with a .130" group. Not too shabby for a barrel that I bought in a group buy for $179 each. I've never had a Shaw barrel that wouldn't shoot sub - MOA groups with my hand loaded ammo.

I currently have Shaw, Shilen, McGowen, X-Caliber, Rock Creek, and Kreiger barrel's on rifles. They all shoot great with tuned hand loads. The cut rifled barrel's do shoot longer before needing cleaning, and they are usually easier to clean than the button rifled barrels.

Txhillbilly
02-18-2022, 11:03 AM
Try Tony @ Crown Ridge Barrel Works.
Lots of barrels in stock, great prices & he can chamber for just about any caliber
Highly recommended
https://www.crownridgebarrelworks.com/product-category/barrels/savage/

Looks like he's just chambering X-caliber blanks.

Sh40674
02-18-2022, 11:49 AM
Some internet searching shows some comments among x caliber... threading issues mostly. I'm sure it's not very common. I did notice mcgowan seems to be in my price range .. mcgowan or x caliber?

Also which contour? I'm so lost in all these. Most of them look the same to me lol. What's the smallest I can go on the muzzle end diamter with a .358 win?

Dave Hoback
02-18-2022, 12:14 PM
Ahh, you originally said $250 price range. The McGowan will be $335 base, another $30 if you want a new Barrel Nut(which I’d recommend). Both are great, but I’d go McGowan first. They’ve been around a long time with a proven track record. Not that the X-Caliber would be a mistake. YOUR choice is what counts.;)

Highbrass
02-18-2022, 12:43 PM
Looks like he's just chambering X-caliber blanks.
He is. I have 3 barrels from him that shoot extremely well. Very pleased and about a 1 week turnaround.
I think X-caliber had some growing pains a few years ago. They had some barrels that weren't hardened properly,and a few other issues. The bad ones were promptly replaced. I haven't heard of any issues in a long time. My most accurate rifle to date has their barrel on it, a 224 Valkyrie bolt gun. It makes a shooter like me look good. I have no issues with them, and I would think all barrel manufacturers have had a few " Bad Eggs "

Darryle
02-18-2022, 02:41 PM
Northland Shooter Supply offers Shilen and Criterion for about $75 more. I plan on ordering a 358 Winchester from him once I get the 7mm-08 setup and action bedded. I do like the nut and wrench from Anthony @ Crown Ridge.

celltech
02-18-2022, 03:05 PM
What's the smallest I can go on the muzzle end diamter with a .358 win?

Good question...all the info I come across talks about a minimum .150" wall thickness. That works out to .658" at the muzzle.

Using the X-Cal profiles the #5 Heavy Sporter would suffice. But I think I would call them and get a recommendation...

Sh40674
02-18-2022, 03:26 PM
Maybe I'm not in the loop enough but I can't understand mcgowans contours page. I only see 3 listed under savage? They show 1.062 starting diameter, which I'm assuming is standard shank since that thread is 1.058 if I remember?