PDA

View Full Version : Barrel swap

Pages : [1] 2

rockneharleyman
12-26-2021, 09:54 PM
I have a savage 116 in 300 win mag, can i put a 7 mag barrel and use the original bolt and magazine

Dave Hoback
12-26-2021, 10:21 PM
Yes, & yes. But why would you do that? But f you want 7mm, do a 7mm-300.

ninner
12-26-2021, 11:01 PM

Only do this if you reload and have access to a brass fairy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newtosavage
12-26-2021, 11:12 PM
Huh? Weird advice.

If you want a 7mm Mag, do it. Great caliber that is time tested and ammo is readily available.

rockneharleyman
12-26-2021, 11:35 PM
I have 7/08. The 300 cost to much to reload,the 7mag is cheaper and I have 30/06. Won the 300 in a raffle so did not have a choice on caliber! I have Thompson Encore in 7 mag but I think I have burnt the barrel up. Shot a lot of rounds, some hot rounds and a lot of consecutive shots without letting barrel cool. Thanks for all the comments

rockneharleyman
12-26-2021, 11:41 PM
Hey Dave I misread ur reply. I thought i read 7/08. Tell me about 7mm/300. 7mm case with 30 cal bullit?

Dave Hoback
12-26-2021, 11:44 PM
Brass fairy? What do you mean? 300WM is a pretty darn common round. And since OP already 300WM, maybe he's saved brass along the way....possibly already a reloader? Which I do agree... reloading is a must with that one. Although, my opinion is EVERY shooter should be! If for nothing else than the knowledge gained! I still get a kick out of some who consider themselves EXTREMELY knowledgeable in all things firearms, then come to find out they don't, nor have they ever, reloaded. Pretty funny to me....funny because a whole bunch of years ago, "I" was one of them. LOL! I started building firearms & gunsmithing BEFORE I reloaded. Well, I reloaded alongside a good friend(his house...his equipment...his knowledge), and I did have a firm grasp of the Book Knowledge aspect of reloading & ballistics. However, I didn't have a Working Knowledge until a couple years after. Now I look back & WOW, I was severely lacking. But, I digress. Just my personal take on the matter.

You can easily change to 7mm RM with just the barrel swap if you wish. Good luck if that is your choice. Hey, if you don't like it...can always swap it back.

rockneharleyman
12-26-2021, 11:55 PM
I understand what you are saying about reloading!! I have been reloading for 40+ years and I have come a long way with knowledge and equipment.. No telling how much it would cost to start reloading this day and time.

Dave Hoback
12-27-2021, 12:30 AM
Aww man! You are set! Obviously, with all that info... it does make sense to stick with 7RM. I MEAN, you already HAVE one & reload for it, so yeah.. nothing wrong with that!

The 7mm-300 is the sane concept as 7mm-08. 300 WinMag necked down to .284". Awesome long range 7mm. One version is the
7mm Practical. That's the one I would run if I was doing it. https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm+Practical.html 40+ years of reloading behind you, I don't have to tell you... YOU can't really go wrong with whatever you choose.

Keep us informed!:redface-new: Would be interested in your choice & outcome partner.

Dave Hoback
12-27-2021, 12:41 AM
I understand what you are saying about reloading!! I have been reloading for 40+ years and I have come a long way with knowledge and equipment.. No telling how much it would cost to start reloading this day and time.

Oh sure... to be where someone like myself or I’m sure you are at with equipment. That said, I certainly didn't do it ALL at once. I built my reloading trim over the years...and I'm STILL building on it, LOL! I know I'm not alone. Many years ago I picked up a Lee Challenger reloading kit. My buddy gave me my first Speer Reloading Manual. Still have the Challenger Press & the Manual, LOL! I was given a Rockchucker along the way(which I very regretfully gave away!), and now have by beloved Dillon. Along with a whole mess of other goodies! It was a process for me though.

Woopig
12-27-2021, 08:14 AM
I too had the Lee starter kit, didn't know if reloading was for me, didn't want to spend a lot to find out. Loaded hundreds of accurate rounds with it. Had a friend that was very knowledgeable and mentored me. Got a Rockchucker, gave the Lee to young man and mentored him. Man that was a long time ago. I'm very blessed to have had someone to guide me when I started. So I passed it on. Good feeling. The reloading community is very open to passing information, that my friends is a wonderful thing.

charlie b
12-27-2021, 08:50 AM
I agree.

I also started with Lee stuff. First the hammer pounder and then the first of the Lee Turret presses. Got father-in-law hooked on it too. I learned from books. We were both engineers so that was the easy part :) We experimented with a lot of stuff along the way. He worked in experimental explosives. Even rigged up an early pressure test rig, but, didn't have enough processing speed to be really useful. Home made chronograph. Lots of fun.

ninner
12-27-2021, 01:17 PM
I use a lee loadmaster for pistol stuff, once you give up on the primer is runs like a clock. Recently bought a Lee app press for pistol case prep, deprime/prime, it speeds things up considerably. I have a rock chucker supreme for rifle reloading and absolutely love it, combined with a Hornady powder dispenser my loads are perfect. I mostly load subsonic 300 blackout since that’s the only way I can afford to feed it. But I have components and dies for every caliber I own.

As far as making 7- 300 WM from 300 WM, do you have to turn the neck down to avoid thickness problems?

Ninner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinhood
12-27-2021, 02:28 PM
As far as making 7- 300 WM from 300 WM, do you have to turn the neck down to avoid thickness problems?

Ninner

Not with a SAAMI chamber

Might as well go 7mmSTW.

Dave Hoback
12-27-2021, 04:24 PM
Agreed. The 7STW is awesome. It does suffer from a bit of Overbore though. Where as all evidence in research of the 7mm Practical shows it does not. That’s really what would draw me over some others. Like I said though, so many good options, & each person should take the responsibility of researching what works best for their needs/wants. Furthermore, our friend harleyman here, having a very competent reloading knowledge, CAN’T really go wrong no matter his choice. Just my thoughts. Cheers! :p

Blue Avenger
12-27-2021, 07:32 PM
7mm Rem is just a barrel change and it can be a new or used factory barrel. 7mm-300, 7mmSTW or 28 Nosler are a rechamber or new custom barrel. $$$$

rockneharleyman
12-28-2021, 10:30 AM
Thanks for all the comments I have been fortunate to live in the country and have the place to shoot. I have always enjoyed shooting and reloading is the only affordable way to do that. It has been nice in the past to be able to get supplies whenever needed. Fortunately I had decent supply built up but it is dwindling down!!.. Normal thing, we dont appreciate what we have till we dont have it.

rockneharleyman
12-28-2021, 10:39 AM
Also I dont know much but I am always open to questions as well as suggestions

rockneharleyman
12-29-2021, 09:35 PM
I have one more question if youll dont mind. Looking at the barrel do I need to add recoil lug?

Blue Avenger
12-30-2021, 12:33 AM
I have one more question if you'll don't mind. Looking at the barrel do I need to add recoil lug?

you need a recoil lug, the screws alone will not hold it together.
it is a separate part from the barrel, use the one you have or buy a special on that is flat and true. factory one's are stamped and slightly warped if you want perfect.