PDA

View Full Version : Barrel swap

Pages : 1 [2]

charlie b
12-30-2021, 11:20 PM
Don't you already have a recoil lug on your 300wm? Just use the same one for the 7mm.

rockneharleyman
01-03-2022, 10:10 PM
Thanks for answers

Mr.Snerdly
01-03-2022, 10:22 PM
I have 7/08. The 300 cost to much to reload,the 7mag is cheaper and I have 30/06. Won the 300 in a raffle so did not have a choice on caliber! I have Thompson Encore in 7 mag but I think I have burnt the barrel up. Shot a lot of rounds, some hot rounds and a lot of consecutive shots without letting barrel cool. Thanks for all the comments

No help or advice but I am curious how many rounds you shot to burn the barrel out. I know those high performance calibers come at the price of barrel life.

ninner
01-03-2022, 10:36 PM
For a 7mm mag, my guess is 300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yobuck
01-04-2022, 11:34 AM
I would personally leave the gun as a 300 win mag.
Reason being better bullet selection, and recoil is based largely upon bullet weight, not just the powder amount.
I dont own a 300 win mag, so im not coming from a build one like mine scenario.
The difference between a 7 rem mag and a 280 ai is very little as for velocity using the same weight bullet.
So there is a valid argument as for choosing the 280 over a 7 rem mag.
The difference between a 7 rem mag and a 7 mm STW using a 160 class bullet could be 350 fps or more, depending upon load.
A 300 Wetherby case necked down to 7 mm will duplicate the 7 STW performance.
A 300 win mag necked down to 7 mm will produce less velocity than both the above due to holding less powder, but non the less makes a very good cartridge.
As for barrel life, these should be considered long range hunting guns and not target shooting guns.
Used as such they will last a lifetime and more.
I have several 7x 300 Wetherby rifles, both are old with hundreds of hot rounds thru them and both still shoot as well as i can shoot them at long range.
If i were starting over today however id be owning a 6.5 x 06 AI, a 280 AI, and a 300 Norma, and no other 7 mms.
My load for the 7x300 Wetherbys is 78 gr of 7828 using the 162 gr Hornady BTHP match bullet.
Velocity runs about 3350 fps from barrels 26” and longer.

rockneharleyman
01-09-2022, 11:23 PM
Not sure on number of rounds..Had several instances I had to shoot alot. Also have owned the rifle for 20+ years And of course this year I had to change bullits and work up new loads. Thinking pretty serious about 7mm/300

rockneharleyman
01-26-2022, 12:07 AM
Finally got around to changing my barrel from 300 to 7mag. Used the no/go guages and first shot was misfire. Firing pin just barely touched primer and did not eject cartridge. Ok figured headspace was off. Redid headspace and still wont extract. Did not try to fire weapon. Am I missing something? On second attempt I installed go gauge and snugged barrel up and then tightened barrel nut. I am going to check case protrusion tomorrow.. Thanks for any ideas

Dave Hoback
01-26-2022, 12:51 AM
So, it won’t Extract? Or it won’t eject harleyman? They are two separate items. If not extracting, do you mean the bolt is coming back with the case still in the chamber? If so, I’d be looking at the extractor.

As for the light primer strike: did you measure the firing pin protrusion? .035” should be adequate, stock rifles are set much deeper. Also, have you done anything to the striker spring? Modified it by cutting coils, etc.? Examine the brass as well. Were these new, or reloads? If reloads, how many reloads on brass? What is the depth of the primer?

rockneharleyman
01-26-2022, 06:14 AM
Thanks Dave for help. And yes it wont extract. This is a brand new rifle that I won and wanted to change it to 7mag so extractor should be fine.

wbm
01-26-2022, 08:44 AM
7mm Rem is just a barrel change and it can be a new or used factory barrel. 7mm-300, 7mmSTW or 28 Nosler are a rechamber or new custom barrel. $$$$

+1

Had-have 7MM Magnums and had two 7MM STWs. Personally, I would go with 7MM magnum if I changed away from the 300.

rockneharleyman
01-28-2022, 09:10 PM
Finally got it. Extractor had a little chip on it. Kinda fragile looking extractor, ordered the updated version. Stole one off another rifle and it works fine. Readjusted headspace and works good. Not a whole lot of room for error in the adjustment. If I remember right it is .005 difference between go and no go. Hard to keep barrel from moving when tightening nut

Dave Hoback
01-28-2022, 09:52 PM
Finally got it. Extractor had a little chip on it. Kinda fragile looking extractor, ordered the updated version. Stole one off another rifle and it works fine. Readjusted headspace and works good. Not a whole lot of room for error in the adjustment. If I remember right it is .005 difference between go and no go. Hard to keep barrel from moving when tightening nut

That’s awesome you figured that all out finally... Oh, wait a sec..Didn’t someone say something SPECIFICALLY ABOUT the Extractor? Post #28 or something? ;):p I’m sorry, just couldn’t help it. No, seriously though- A rifle being brand new means NOTHING as far as far as having a damaged part. Always, always, always follow the clues it’s giving you.

rockneharleyman
01-30-2022, 10:41 PM
U are so right Dave. It worked fine before I changed barrel and didnt really look bad. The next time I do barrel swap I will pull extractor out. Not sure if go/nogo gauge didnt chip the extractor. Thanks for your help

rockneharleyman
01-30-2022, 10:46 PM
Also the new shaw barrel shoots great

Dave Hoback
01-31-2022, 10:53 AM
Glad it’s working well for you. :redface-new:

rockneharleyman
02-19-2022, 09:04 AM
Think I am liking my new 7mag barrel. Shot 2 does yesterday. First one 200 yds and second 300 yds. Both neck shots

Dave Hoback
02-19-2022, 09:12 AM
So your freezer is good’n full now huh? :surprise: No arguing good outcome. Good stuff partner.