PDA

View Full Version : 110 tactical - down the rabbit hole

Pages : [1] 2

petrify
12-06-2021, 03:25 PM
Howdy,

Been really interested in the 110 tactical since I learned of it. I initially wanted to get it in 308 for a few reasons I suspect folks may scoff at, mostly related to brass availability and minimizing diversity of calibers. I'd like to become more experienced in shooting at longer distances, using optics (I'm more of a 1:1 and open sights fella, soon to be was).

308 rifle availability seems very scarce, so I've been eyeing 6.5 creedmoor. I know it's better in just about every category but $$ for starting out.

If I want to go 308 still, is there a comparable model that would give me a similar action and trigger? I'm fine with mounting a rail if I need to and eventually upgrading to a chassis system later. Most of my experience with rifles were with intermediate cartridges, so more of a generalized question, is the difference between 6.5 and 308 going to sour any of my experience?

My initial intent wasn't to buy and immediately start tossing parts for aftermarket. I mean it sounds fun, but what lured me in was a rifle that seemed better than the cost to buy. How to get the best bang for my buck tips in general appreciated also.

Underdog
12-06-2021, 03:49 PM
I have no experience with 6.5 personally but other similar models in 308 would be 110 Hog hunter and 110 Scout and i'm sure a few more. My friend has a 110 in 6.5 Creedmoor (Savage package rifle) and likes it, but his ammo is costly and in short supply right now anyway. His is a package rifle with scope

wbm
12-06-2021, 04:00 PM
I have a 110T in 6.5CM. Got it last spring. Only problem was feeding issue, fixed easily with different ejector and barrel rubbing in one spot on left forearm. Shoots great!

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57006

Dave Hoback
12-07-2021, 10:57 AM
You are new to high power, scoped rifles, so you won’t be “soured”, by whichever caliber you choose. Ammo is difficult to find for all calibers, period! So that’s not really a factor. Remember also, it’s a Savage.. very easy to change from one caliber to another. Sometimes(as with 308 to 6.5CM), just a Barrel swap. Just jump in & start collecting various supplies now. I have an “ok” amount of components. But then, I’m no longer a very heavy shooter. I’d like to do more. Once again I’ll recommend: START RELOADING IMMEDIATELY! Whatever caliber you get. Reloading is the only way to go if you plan on this being a serious hobby.

charlie b
12-07-2021, 11:27 AM
Reloading is nice, But, now it would be hard to start due to the primer shortage (and powders). If you can get powder and primers then your choices are more open.

The current ammo condition is poor so you might want to pick based on what ammo you can find. Our local shop has more 6mmCM than it does 6.5CM for some reason. Lots of .308/7,62x51 but it is not premium ammo so would not recommend a choice based on that ammo. Cheap .308 ammo is usually not very accurate. And, yes, the premium ammo is expensive. $2 per round is pretty common and sometimes closer to $3 per round. Cost for premium ammo between .308 and 6.5CM is about the same these days.

The biggest difference for you between the two is recoil. Both will do the job, but, you will be firing heavy bullets in the .308 (if you can find them).

Dave Hoback
12-07-2021, 07:57 PM
Hence why I said start collecting supplies NOW! That’s the thing with it though. No matter when you start, you’ll wish you’d have started YEARS earlier. And kick yourself for not. Reloading isn’t just about the ammunition. It makes you a BETTER...PERIOD! You’ll become a better shooter, and the knowledge gained of firearms in general, as a result, is invaluable.

3M-TA3
12-08-2021, 06:17 PM
I'd say go with the 6.5 CM as long range ballistics are better than with the 308. The 6,5 140 gr ELD match from Hornady is supersonic out to 1300 yards as opposed to 1000 for the Federal 175 grain MK match. Energy is about 1100 foot pounds for each at 500 yards. Before that the 08 has more energy, and after that the 6.5 is better. The 6.5 shoots flatter and is less susceptible to wind.

The main thing that would make me prefer the 308 would be if I had others in that cartridge and didn't want to add a new one, especially if I already had bullets, brass. and powder.

Nontypical
12-09-2021, 07:53 AM
I’m pretty sure that 6.5CM ammo is more expensive than .308, and definitely harder to find right now. While you can hunt with the 6.5CM, I was always under the impression that it was designed as a 1000yd target gun. For hunting ammo, I believe the .308 has many more choices to choose from. I guess it really depends on the terrain that you’ll be hunting.

SharpShooter82
12-09-2021, 04:28 PM
I got the .308 110T last year. I really like it and since I seriously doubt I will get to a range longer than 600 yards it will be just fine.

I have been doing mostly load development so far and have only shot it on my range at home. I think that I have the load now so just need to get to the TMP range and stretch it’s legs.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeepsAndGuns
12-12-2021, 09:03 PM
You could do like I did and buy one in 6.5 CM and then swap out the barrel for a 308 barrel.

Woopig
12-12-2021, 09:18 PM
+1. It's not gonna get cheaper.

Dave Hoback
12-12-2021, 10:30 PM
Yeah...pretty much. Buying ammo off the shelf...it’s not really any cheaper. Really, when you think about it, given a 308 & 7Mm Rem Mag, most are likely going to shoot MORE 308, negating the cost out the door.

South Prairie jim
12-15-2021, 03:58 PM
I would opt for the 6.5 creedmoor over the 308 every day.

LiuKang
12-15-2021, 04:01 PM
You could do like I did and buy one in 6.5 CM and then swap out the barrel for a 308 barrel.

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I was gifted a 110T in 6.5CM and was wanting to buy a .308 barrel.

It’s just a simple barrel swap, correct? Also, where’d you get your barrel from? I was looking at Proof or X-Caliber.

Thanks

yobuck
12-15-2021, 06:26 PM
I'd say go with the 6.5 CM as long range ballistics are better than with the 308. The 6,5 140 gr ELD match from Hornady is supersonic out to 1300 yards as opposed to 1000 for the Federal 175 grain MK match. Energy is about 1100 foot pounds for each at 500 yards. Before that the 08 has more energy, and after that the 6.5 is better. The 6.5 shoots flatter and is less susceptible to wind.

The main thing that would make me prefer the 308 would be if I had others in that cartridge and didn't want to add a new one, especially if I already had bullets, brass. and powder.
Have you ever shot a 6.5 anything at 1300 yds?
Please do so, then report back as to how great they are at those type distances.

charlie b
12-15-2021, 11:12 PM
I got the .308 110T last year. I really like it and since I seriously doubt I will get to a range longer than 600 yards it will be just fine.

I have been doing mostly load development so far and have only shot it on my range at home. I think that I have the load now so just need to get to the TMP range and stretch it’s legs.

Eric

Let us know how it does. I shot at 600 this week with my .308 (normally I shoot cast in it). 168gn AMax bullets at 2700fps. Did a sight check at 200yd, 0.75" group (yes, I was kinda shocked as I normally don't shoot that well). Then went to 600. Wind was around 5mph. Took 5 rnds to dial it in then hit my 5" gong 5 times in a row. That's really good for me with any kind of wind.

kabong57
12-18-2021, 12:30 AM
Purchased a Savage 23200 Ridge Warrior (.308) for when I retire.
https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=23200

Scored a Weaver GS 5-20 x 50 on close-out. If my eyesight holds I'll reach out farther and more up the scope list.

want2ride
12-18-2021, 04:48 PM
Have you ever shot a 6.5 anything at 1300 yds?
Please do so, then report back as to how great they are at those type distances.
I have shot just shy of 1500. It shoots wonderful at that range. At the elevation i was at it was just hitting transsonic. very nice round!

Dave Hoback
12-18-2021, 05:02 PM
Really? Wonderfully huh? While I don’t doubt it’s capability to HIT an object at that distance, I’m not certain too many Short Action, standard cartridges AT ALL, shoot “wonderfully” at those distances. (Let alone SHOOTERS themselves.)

want2ride
12-18-2021, 07:26 PM
Really? Wonderfully huh? While I don’t doubt it’s capability to HIT an object at that distance, I’m not certain too many Short Action, standard cartridges AT ALL, shoot “wonderfully” at those distances. (Let alone SHOOTERS themselves.)Well we were shooting his match rifle at a full size IPSC target and it took 2 shots to make his first hit. I don't believe he missed much at all. I took 3 shots with holding for the wind that he told me to hold and went 3 for 3, and my nephew went 2 for 3. Yep i would say it shot pretty wonderful. granted when he dialed for elevation and tells me what to hold for wind it does make it pretty easy.