PDA

View Full Version : 25-284

Pages : [1] 2

pighunter284
11-20-2021, 08:50 PM
anyone chooting this bad boy. i have some questions
1. can i start with 25-06 load data, from some searching folks say its OK?
2. if anyone is using do you like it
3. have you tried the blackjack or got any new Berger 133, 135 - i know i need a 1-8 twist

i have a handful of win 284 new brass i bought off midway on the last run of it. was thinking of a winter project
thanks

Robinhood
11-20-2021, 10:44 PM
Interesting. Tagging this post. I was thinking 358-284

Dave Hoback
11-22-2021, 01:40 PM
Yes! We could call it the 360 “Almost a Whelen”! Or something.. J/K

To the OP, I’m following this as well. I’m interested in anything based on the 284. Just an awesome, awesome case... Was SOO far ahead of it time; genius really. Definitely in the running for GOAT.

pighunter284
11-23-2021, 03:29 PM
284 has been necked all over the gamut. i have a 257 Roberts that is fantastic but im not going to mess with anything over 120 gr cause it wont shoot well. I inow someone here has had expreince with it and i hope they see this post LOL. happy holiday all

JeepsAndGuns
11-24-2021, 10:48 AM
I do not have a 25-284, but I do have a 6mm-284. It is definitely a hot round. It was my grandfathers rifle he built. I have used nothing so far but the load he worked up for it. It pushes a 75gr HP bullet to 3800fps.

retireddfd
11-28-2021, 12:29 PM
I do have a 25-284. I have used the 25-06 load data and have gotten 3/4 inch groups with light bullets. Decided to redo stock bedding so have not worked on the loads. would like to shoot heavier loads. Bought 100 new 6.5x284 brass a while back, makes forming brass much easier.

pdshooter2
11-28-2021, 04:47 PM
have you looked at the throat, or checked seating depth ?
my guess is with the 284 case, the throat will not last long.
same for a 25 /284
these are typically long bbl rifles

I do not have a 25-284, but I do have a 6mm-284. It is definitely a hot round. It was my grandfathers rifle he built. I have used nothing so far but the load he worked up for it. It pushes a 75gr HP bullet to 3800fps.

retireddfd
11-28-2021, 07:43 PM
I have not, but have not shot this gun very much.

pighunter284
12-03-2021, 09:32 PM
I do have a 25-284. I have used the 25-06 load data and have gotten 3/4 inch groups with light bullets. Decided to redo stock bedding so have not worked on the loads. would like to shoot heavier loads. Bought 100 new 6.5x284 brass a while back, makes forming brass much easier.

whats the twist on what you have now?

yobuck
12-04-2021, 10:10 AM
I have a 6/284 with a 30” Hart 8 twist on a short 700 action.
I shoot 105s in it but ive never bothered to chronograph it.
30” wouldnt be necessary, but i figure when the throat goes i can set it back some and rechamber.

Dave Hoback
12-04-2021, 07:44 PM
6-284... OOOO, I like! Although 30” is far longer than I would want in hopes of setting back for re-chamber. Depending on profile, most barrels have an initial 3” or so of the full 1.20”, 1.25” diameter. We don’t set back several inches, as it would lose profile...which pretty much ruins the barrel’s shooting characteristics. Unless of course an unturned profile is used. But holy cow, the weight! Honestly speaking, how many times does a barrel get re-chambered? Once, twice maybe? 27”-28” is about perfect to me.

yobuck
12-05-2021, 09:02 AM
6-284... OOOO, I like! Although 30” is far longer than I would want in hopes of setting back for re-chamber. Depending on profile, most barrels have an initial 3” or so of the full 1.20”, 1.25” diameter. We don’t set back several inches, as it would lose profile...which pretty much ruins the barrel’s shooting characteristics. Unless of course an unturned profile is used. But holy cow, the weight! Honestly speaking, how many times does a barrel get re-chambered? Once, twice maybe? 27”-28” is about perfect to me.
Well a 30” varmit weight barrel usually finishes up in the 29/29 1/2 “ area.
Yes it is longer than needed for that cartridge, but then it wont hurt anything either by leaving it that way.
And most who shoot those type guns arent lugging them around looking for something to shoot at.
So weight isnt much of a factor, and they are always shot from a bench or other type of a good rest.
Other than the factory rifles i own, all of them have long barrels, a few of them 34 to 36”.
As for barrels losing accuracy after being turned, i guess it would make a difference as to how and who turns them.
Barrels arent created in specific sizes, they are turned to what the customer wants by the barrel maker.
I have a couple that have been turned down to smaller diameters from 1’ 250 without any issues by a gunsmith.
If i were younger i would be trying a rebore also, from say 30 cal to 338.

Dave Hoback
12-06-2021, 09:11 AM
Agreed... valid points. But 34-36”!? My word! What...a MUSKET?? J/K

Seriously, why “if you were younger”, you would do such & such? I may only be 43, but my body is closer to that of an 80yo. I doubt I’ll get past 50...if that! But I don’t let that stop the things I want to do.

yobuck
12-06-2021, 11:11 AM
Well as for barrel length, at least back when i started using the lager capacity cartridges, the barrel needed to be long enough to burn the powder.
378 Wetherby cases were being necked down to 30 caliber in the 60s, at least in some places, although it was the 70s for me.
The only suitable powder then was WW2 surplus powder like H 570 in order to achieve max velocity.
And in order to burn the 112 to 115 gr charge along with the 200 gr SMK, 36” barrels were used.
Very few barrel makers back then made long barrels like that, so the choices were very limited.
I had several over the years built by Bill Wiseman in Texas, who primarily built test barrels.
But with that length barrel, and the proper powder, velocities of 3500 fps were obtained.
Actions of coarse were another issue, lug setback was a problem for most of the factory versions, and there were few custom ones then suitable for those type cartridges.
It isnt possible to obtain that velocity with a factory Wetherby rifle in 30x378, due to the barrel length.
So its a compromise to build guns typical hunters will buy, as compared to those that perform better.
Today im using my old Wolfe 3 lug action from the 30x378 for a large 338, in which i use 137 gr of H50bmg powder with a 300 gr SMK.
And im using a 34” barrel on it. Bruce Baer told me a 30” would probably be long enough, but i told him i wanted a longer one.
He later told me to try my old H 570 powder in it, because he had and it worked better for him.
But my son is now using it in his 338x378 and our supply is limited.
As for the rebore, i no longer shoot enough to shoot out the barrels i have, so my only goal at this point is to reach 90 in my present condition.
And to catch more than the number of fish i caught last year.

Dave Hoback
12-07-2021, 11:10 AM
Huh... Your goal SHOULD be praising The Lord for such a long life & trusting in Him. Ensure eternal life, in His kingdom. Those of us who Know Christ, don’t worry about having “a few more years” on this broken earth.

yobuck
12-07-2021, 07:47 PM
Huh... Your goal SHOULD be praising The Lord for such a long life & trusting in Him. Ensure eternal life, in His kingdom. Those of us who Know Christ, don’t worry about having “a few more years” on this broken earth.
Well i do thank him every day i can remember to do so Dave, which is most days.
But i dont choose to wear that on my chest so others can see i do.
And i do in fact trust in him, but for some reason i also believe in trusting in the things i do first.
In other words if my boat was sinking id no doubt pray, but is also be paddling like hell toward shore.

GrenGuy
12-07-2021, 08:56 PM
^^ Hopefully, that’s not all happening while You’ve got a Mahi hooked up :cool: ^^

yobuck
12-08-2021, 09:35 AM
^^ Hopefully, that’s not all happening while You’ve got a Mahi hooked up :cool: ^^
Yes, especially if its a decent size. lol
But i no longer do the Mahi stuff anyway, as much as id like to i no longer do saltwater.
Im just not up to the rough water anymore, and all the work when the day is over what with engine flushing and cleaning the boat and tackle as well.
So ive resigned myself to fresh water only, when i pull my boat in the yard all i need do is go sit down.
I target Crappies primarily on ultralite tackle.
Yesterday i caught # 100 since Oct 19 which is when i started since the hot summer layoff, all of them released.
But there is also another motive for me not having the boat sink.
This place is swarming with Gators, some very large.

charlie b
12-08-2021, 08:49 PM
Another reason I would not want to live in FL :) Son and his family live outside Jacksonville.

Fishing for me is trout and a fly rod. I think I like experimenting with tying flies as much as I do fishing. Kinda same satisfaction as reloading.

yobuck
12-09-2021, 09:19 AM
Another reason I would not want to live in FL :) Son and his family live outside Jacksonville.

Fishing for me is trout and a fly rod. I think I like experimenting with tying flies as much as I do fishing. Kinda same satisfaction as reloading.
Well fortunately they havent yet learned how to climb into a boat Charlie.
Falling out of one might just cause a guy to have a bad day however.
I strictly use small jigs from 1/64 oz to 1/16 oz, with some type of grub tail on an 8 to 10 ft rod.
Some guys pour their own jigs, but they are so cheap to buy in bulk on Ebay that i dont bother.
I do powder paint them however in various colors, but just a few at a time as i need them.
I frankly never took much to the trout fishing, even though there are lots of very nice streams in the area our camp is located.
Im a boat guy, even if i have a bad day fishing, i enjoy being in the boat.