PDA

View Full Version : 223 vs 556 Case For Reloading - Savage 110 Elite Precision

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Dave Hoback
02-06-2022, 10:52 PM
Well, you’re comparing to Lapua brass for crying out loud, LOL! Seriously; to me the LC is good mostly for practice, and to those who want a little nest egg of ammo loaded. 500, 1000 rounds, possibly more. Instead of have just 100 pieces to keep recycling.

Also talking 223, there are two different kinds. Those of us with BOLT actions who are loading for extreme accuracy every time. And those of us with an AR15 of other Semi auto. I only have my my ARs for 223, don’t have a 223 bolt gun. I load for accuracy, but within magazine length 2.25” max. So it’s not going to be supreme accuracy. I have my BTHP bullets for accuracy proofing mostly. But I pick up the Hornady 55gr FMJBT whenever I see it for a good deal. I load THOSE in my LC brass in some quantity, to keep around as range plinking ammo.The good pills I keep for Lapua or my good Norma brass when I’m feeling FROGGY!

charlie b
02-07-2022, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I know. :)

I would probably not be using the expensive stuff if I had bought up a bulk package of LC brass years ago. I think they were going for $50 for buckets of them.

I kinda miss the 'old days'. I'd just pick up a couple of ammo can loads of brass at the range. I had 5gal buckets full of 7.62, 5.56, and .45acp. Later on the military started checking how much brass you turned in. The scales were pretty accurate :)

Dave Hoback
02-07-2022, 12:54 PM
Years ago I got 1000 LC 7.62 to resize & make 260 Rem cases. They work perfectly. Then, for the last 3 years I was looking for LC 5.56 with no luck. I got to the point that I was looking for ANY 223 brass. A very kind member here, Shooter0203 offered the 223 he had as he didn’t shoot 223 any longer. I accepted graciously, thinking it was maybe 100 cases of Remington, Hornady & the like. Ended up being about 400 LC cases & some mixed headstamp also. I was beyond thankful! I still look for it anywhere I can. I also have 120 cases of Norma as well. Those are my grouping cases. And I’ll likely pick up some Lapua at some point because, well, Lapua is awesome!