PDA

View Full Version : Why are you fond of Savage rifles?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Phreddie30.06
10-28-2021, 11:25 PM
Savage mag feed issues are an easy fix. Give me 5 minutes and a pair of pliers and I can get any Savage magazine to feed perfectly.Tell us how its done!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Dave Hoback
10-29-2021, 12:44 PM
I believe he is pointing to the process of bending/manipulating the magazine feed lips. I’m not sure it’s always quite THAT simple. However, those familiar with the Savage system surely can fix most issues. Just as those who have a wide knowledge of firearms can remedy about any problem that may run into.

charlie b
10-29-2021, 08:28 PM
Yep. Knew a guy who could fix just about any magazine issue on any firearm. There were limits. Short and fat were sometimes just not doable.

Dutch2A
10-31-2021, 12:10 AM
Savage is way ahead of the rest of the pack in the models they are willing to produce in left hand configuration to accommodate us southpaws. At least with Savage I don't feel so much like a second class citizen as I do with all the others, even Ruger and Remington. This has made me a very happy and LOYAL Savage man for decades now. I have purchased more than one man honestly needs, but thank God my wife won't know that until I'm gone. :cool:Keep up the good work Savage!

olegburn
07-10-2022, 11:01 PM
I'm right handed leaning to ambidextrous person
I'm also left eye dominant.
It forced from early age to shoot left handed.
Savage's safety allows me to use right handed guns with ease.

Turkeytider
07-12-2022, 08:06 AM
Yep, I had problems with the Axis mag (.223). Feeding worked well. The mag would drop out every now and then. Frustrating. Just don't understand why such a simple part is so unreliable, especially when using cartridges proven to work well in magazines. And why 'invent' a new mag design when the military stuff is out there. Just take that existing design, cut to fit the stock.

I guess I do know the answer. Cost. The addition of a decent mag well and latch would cost a few cents more than a molded plastic lip and retainer.

I`ll bet 90% ( at least ) of the complaints I`ve seen posted concerning Savage rifles are concerned with magazine/feed functions.What I`ve rarely seen (really can`t remember the last one I saw) is a negative comment about the ability of Savage rifles to put bullets on targets. If one considers the complaints that Savage customer service has no doubt received concerning their factory magazines, it`s hard to imagine why Savage hasn`t made it a priority to address this. Frustrating the ever lovin` hell out of customers is not the way to get rifles sold!

thebeav
07-12-2022, 10:57 AM
My first rifle, at age 11 or so, was Savage/Stevens single shot .22. That isn't what sucked me in 50 years later though.
I had decided I wanted a 17HMR rifle. I fell in love with the 93 BTVSS with a Boyd's stock. I bought one from Reed's, but they never sent it. They used my money for 6 weeks and then said 'sorry' and refunded me. Told me they were back ordered.
I ended up with a 93R17 in stainless. I'm not sure yet if it deserves a Boyd's stock. I need to put another 4 or 5 hundred rounds through it.
I thought, a few months ago, I had better get a center-fire rifle. Never having owned one. The Savage price point is wonderful. I ended up with an Axis II in .223. Love the gun.
Yes, beside some magazine issues in the 17 cal, these are nice guns. They shoot well, but not automatically, so you get an opportunity to up your skill level......

Turkeytider
07-12-2022, 04:51 PM
My first rifle, at age 11 or so, was Savage/Stevens single shot .22. That isn't what sucked me in 50 years later though.
I had decided I wanted a 17HMR rifle. I fell in love with the 93 BTVSS with a Boyd's stock. I bought one from Reed's, but they never sent it. They used my money for 6 weeks and then said 'sorry' and refunded me. Told me they were back ordered.
I ended up with a 93R17 in stainless. I'm not sure yet if it deserves a Boyd's stock. I need to put another 4 or 5 hundred rounds through it.
I thought, a few months ago, I had better get a center-fire rifle. Never having owned one. The Savage price point is wonderful. I ended up with an Axis II in .223. Love the gun.
Yes, beside some magazine issues in the 17 cal, these are nice guns. They shoot well, but not automatically, so you get an opportunity to up your skill level......

My 93R17 FV is a much more challenging gun to shoot with precision ( sub-MOA groups) at 100 yards than my 110 in .223. It`s not hard to find posts addressing inconsistencies in ammo quality in .17HMR which no doubt contributes to the challenge. Unfortunately no match grade .17HMR ammo is in the offing.

South Prairie jim
07-15-2022, 08:21 AM
Made in the USA

Dave Hoback
07-15-2022, 06:58 PM
Here, here Jim! The Savage 110 IS America’s rifle!

dillwt
07-31-2022, 03:39 AM
Why do I love Savages, mainly because I can do the work myself and they don't treat lefties like second class citizens. I have 4 currently and yes all the bolt handles are on the wrong size. My collection consists of top a 110CLD in 30-06, Middle a 1964 110L converted to new bolt head and in 338-06. The bottom one is a 1966 110L with barrel lump in 7mm Rem Mag that is my latest project. got it off Gunbroker. Looked great in pictures but the barrel had been cut to 20" and the stock look like they had routed the barrel channel with an end mill to accommodate the barrel lump, now sits in new stock and new barrel. Luckily I had an old one that head spaced without any chamber reaming. Still have to fit new recoil pad and a lot of sanding and finishing. I estimate it will end up being a brutal 7.5 pound magnum when done. Unlike others I like the old 2 position triggers better than the post 1966 one. Nice if you know how to adjust them.

KMW1954
07-31-2022, 10:22 AM
Very nice lil collection.

dillwt
07-31-2022, 02:46 PM
Thanks KMW1954 (http://www.savageshooters.com/member.php?52579-KMW1954) it is truly an addiction.

ndvarmint
08-12-2022, 08:25 PM
I like them because gun snobs hate them cause they are "ugly".
To me guns are not art but tools.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk