PDA

View Full Version : Why are you fond of Savage rifles?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

charlie b
10-21-2021, 08:40 AM
Yep. If not for that heavy barrel variant that Walmart commissioned I'd probably have Rugers.

Papa_D
10-21-2021, 10:35 AM
I had a Mossberg Patriot .308 as a fun plinking rifle for steel and general farting around. Father's day 2020 I was given a Savage 62f. It was my first .22lr. I was so impressed by the quality and reliability of it I started researching the Brand. When the opportunity came up to choose a gun for my birthday, a 110 in .308 was the easy choice.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211021/564a50b0ccb10b2a7df08be39735904a.jpg

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Dave Hoback
10-21-2021, 11:29 AM
I had a Mossberg Patriot .308 as a fun plinking rifle for steel and general farting around. Father's day 2020 I was given a Savage 62f. It was my first .22lr. I was so impressed by the quality and reliability of it I started researching the Brand. When the opportunity came up to choose a gun for my birthday, a 110 in .308 was the easy choice.

Thank you for sharing that D. Nice little story, and what a great picture there.

teele1
10-21-2021, 05:38 PM
Value, shoot great out of the box, but don't have one in the original configuration it came in due to the fact i can work on them changing barrels bolt heads etc. plus they don't dull a band saw blade like a Remington........have/had 223, 22-250, 243, 6MM Competition Match, 7-08, 284, 308

Turkeytider
10-22-2021, 09:30 AM
Value for the money. Accuracy. I like the tang safety.

Pretty much sums it up for me. My Storm XP in 223 is my one and only rifle, which I`ve thoroughly enjoyed "getting to know" at the range in preparation for predators. As such, I really can`t compare it to others . I do think it would be nice if Savage would/could address the issue of the necessity for a small block and tackle that`s necessary to lift the bolt handle to cycle the gun after firing ( an exaggeration...but only a small one! ). Other than that, really like the gun.

BillC.
10-23-2021, 06:34 PM
Best bang for the buck. 10fcp with 5r barrel, $400 new. Mostly used for plinking and steel plates at the farm. At the time you could not touch a used Remington for that.

Sureshot
10-24-2021, 08:59 PM
I love my savages. Out of all the ones I’ve owned I’ve only ever had one that wouldn’t group. I now have a Savage 12FV in 6.5 creedmoor that is a tack driver, paid $520 new from cabelas. Can’t beat them in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newtosavage
10-25-2021, 10:25 AM
DIY!!! But the trigger system sucks. I have 5 actions and 10 barrels, 4 of the actions have aftermarket triggers and none are under 1 1/2 #. Makes BR a challenge.
The Accutrigger is one reason I came back to Savage rifles after trying Tikka, Ruger, Howa and Remingtons. To each their own I guess.

Aside from the Accutrigger, being able to do barrel swaps and other basic work in my garage is a big plus. The newest plastic stocks are fantastic too. Fit me like a glove and really soak up recoil. No other brand of rifles has given me consistent out of the box sub-MOA accuracy like Savages have. I went all the way around the block in sub-$1k hunting rifles over the past 2-3 years and I'm back to owning one Savage stainless short action LWS with two barrels - one in 7mm-08 for deer and one in .284 Win for elk.

KMW1954
10-25-2021, 07:48 PM
I started with a used Axis in 223 purchased in Aug. of 2020 which then led to a Model 10 also purchased used chambered in 223. big improvement over the Axis. It now sports a Boyds Spike Camp stock. Now I also have a Model 11 barreled action that I am working on as a target rifle. It was a 243 but thinking of a rebarreled into 6BR and also using a Richards Microfit Field Trekker stock. Having a great time and learning much with this stock fitting.

Nor Cal Mikie
10-26-2021, 08:51 AM
Funny thing about Richard's Micro-Fit stocks. Some folks think they're junk. Depends on what you get. Had a couple that at first sight, made you want to puke!! Next time, not too bad.:cool:
Any work you put into one of their stocks makes it YOURS!! I have/had probably 8/10 so far and will probably get a few more over time.

The advantage of the Savage platform is when it comes to trying another caliber, barrel pre fit and bolt head as needed. Sure beats shipping your rig out to a smith and waiting "in line" like Remington or some of the other gun builders. And swapping a barrel or two on a Savage makes the next one pretty easy.:cool:

Fuj'
10-26-2021, 11:48 AM
Yeah, Remington got in on the fun of Savage. The Remage mimics the Savage barrel swap,
then there's the Remington 783 Savage clone.

KMW1954
10-26-2021, 12:54 PM
Funny thing about Richard's Micro-Fit stocks. Some folks thing they're junk. Depends on what you get. Had a couple that at first sight, made you want to puke!! Next time, not too bad.:cool:
Any work you put into one of their stocks makes it YOURS!! I have/had probably 8/10 so far and will probably get a few more over time.:cool:

For certain this is going to involve some work with fitting and sanding but as you say, once finished it will be all mine. The goodness and the mistakes! At this point I am enjoying the heck out of it and really Love the way it feels when I shoulder it.

Still not certain which barrel I will use or which cal. My friends are telling me 6BR, I'm thinking maybe 6 ARC or even 250 Savage just to be different. The 6 ARC because I already have about 400 pcs of once fired brass that has been given to me.

yobuck
10-26-2021, 12:55 PM
Yeah, Remington got in on the fun of Savage. The Remage mimics the Savage barrel swap,
then there's the Remington 783 Savage clone.
Apparently they didnt get in early enough Fuj. lol

I like guns for one reason, i enjoy hunting and shooting with them.
We pay people to mow our grass, and we pay people to build our guns.
That way they can also pay people to mow their grass.
With my spare time which i now have lots of, i go fishing, in fact untill fairly recently i got paid very well to go fishing.
When the boat needs fixing i pay for that also, and then that guy can have his grass mowed as well.

Dave Hoback
10-26-2021, 02:03 PM
Nothing wrong with that philosophy. Although it’s not society’s responsibility to make sure a person can make a living doing what they love. I never EXPECTED people to buy my knives so that I could concentrate on making knives for a living. There is also nothing wrong with doing things one’s self, if capable. ESPECIALLY when one does not have much money. Example being, I could never afford the kind of knives I now make! So I researched & taught myself how to make them. Again though, I didn’t start selling them for many hundreds of dollars like so many do. Knifesmiths charge insane amounts of money because that is the only way they can make a living. Now there is something wrong with telling someone they aren’t good enough to build such & such, and to have a so called “professional” don’t. Unfortunately that happens quite frequently. Always by so called professionals, and those who are unable or unwilling to DO themselves. It happens here even! For those who are able to BUY, awesome! Just don’t come down on those who like to take pride in their own DIY projects.

KMW1954
10-26-2021, 02:32 PM
There is also nothing wrong with doing things one’s self, if capable. ESPECIALLY when one does not have much money.
So I researched & taught myself how to make them.
Now there is something wrong with telling someone they aren’t good enough to build such & such,
Unfortunately that happens quite frequently. Always by so called professionals, and those who are unable or unwilling to DO themselves. It happens here even! For those who are able to BUY, awesome! Just don’t come down on those who like to take pride in their own DIY projects.

Well said.
I have zero experience inletting and building a stock but I have a willingness to try. What is the worst that can happen? I waste a lot of time and ruin a piece of wood that cost some money? So what, the experience of trying to me is more valuable than the cost of the wood. Then once finished I can take pride in my work no matter how it turns out. I will have the experience of trying at least and I will have that for the rest of my life.

yobuck
10-26-2021, 03:35 PM
Well Dave, i dont recall anybody telling you or anyone else here you werent good enough to do what you do.
But i do recall things being said about hiring (professionals).
We all have our opinions for what ever reasons we have them, wether legitimate or not.
I always worked hard at what i did and made a good living for my family while doing so.
And its simply my opinion that others should have that opportunity as well.
And as busy as the good gunsmiths i know, or even know of are, id say lots of others feel the same way.

bearcatrp
10-26-2021, 09:28 PM
Fairly accurate out of the box with a little work. BUT, savage magazine system sucks a horses arse! All 5 of my savages, 2 308’s, 6.5 CM, 338 LM and 243 can’t complete a full magazine shooting without dislodging. On my last savage, sold all but the 110 308 FCP. Once I get the rifle I want, I’ll sell my last savage. All of my savages are from before there new chassis system. Don’t know if savage corrected the magazines on the newer models.

Newtosavage
10-26-2021, 10:21 PM
Fairly accurate out of the box with a little work. BUT, savage magazine system sucks a horses arse! All 5 of my savages, 2 308’s, 6.5 CM, 338 LM and 243 can’t complete a full magazine shooting without dislodging. On my last savage, sold all but the 110 308 FCP. Once I get the rifle I want, I’ll sell my last savage. All of my savages are from before there new chassis system. Don’t know if savage corrected the magazines on the newer models.
Savage mag feed issues are an easy fix. Give me 5 minutes and a pair of pliers and I can get any Savage magazine to feed perfectly.

charlie b
10-27-2021, 08:18 AM
Yep, I had problems with the Axis mag (.223). Feeding worked well. The mag would drop out every now and then. Frustrating. Just don't understand why such a simple part is so unreliable, especially when using cartridges proven to work well in magazines. And why 'invent' a new mag design when the military stuff is out there. Just take that existing design, cut to fit the stock.

I guess I do know the answer. Cost. The addition of a decent mag well and latch would cost a few cents more than a molded plastic lip and retainer.

bearcatrp
10-28-2021, 09:36 PM
I put my 10T 308 in a cadex chassis that used AICS mags. Worked fine. One other issue I had on all my savage rifles is the floating bolt. Try to fast chambering and it would bind. Every time on all my savage rifles.