PDA

View Full Version : 338 Lapua Bolthead at Midway

Pages : [1] 2

geargrinder
11-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Midway is selling bare 338 Lapua Boltheads now.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=927768

I've been dreaming about a 338 Norma Mag in a centerfeed Savage. This might just be the ticket.

defoxer
11-20-2010, 06:34 PM
What is the difference compared with the standard? Appear to be deeper, is that it? They should then be compatible with standard bolt/action?

geargrinder
11-20-2010, 06:45 PM
If I'd seen it a few days ago I would have bought one. My last Midway order showed up yesterday. :(

GLZ
11-20-2010, 07:01 PM
If I'd seen it a few days ago I would have bought one. My last Midway order showed up yesterday. :(

Better hurry, I just ordered 2. ;D I waited to long on the BA bolt handle, they are on back order. :'(

bigngreen
11-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks for posting that up!! I've got about half of the components for my 338 Norma Savage build, I'm thinking it should be awesome!!

Goose
11-21-2010, 07:43 PM
This is great news, I've been dreaming of a 338 norma also. Can't wait. Sinman better get a reamer for the norma.

nomosendero
11-22-2010, 11:52 AM
I have seen some 338 Norma info, I think on one of the Sniper Central or the hide, but tried to find it again & havn't yet.

Any links that could be posted on the info will be greatly appreciated.

sinman
11-22-2010, 12:10 PM
I'll get a 338 norma reamer if I can get a couple of people wanting one.

Dano5001
11-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Ok, I am opening the can of worms ;D Is the norma safer than the lapua in a savage? is the lapua going to be safe with this bolthead? ;D

Dano5001
11-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Did some searching, think I answered my lapua question.

efm77
11-23-2010, 05:22 PM
"Ok, I am opening the can of worms Is the norma safer than the lapua in a savage? is the lapua going to be safe with this bolthead?"

My thoughts exactly. The 110 that Savage is making for the Lapua has thicker lug abutments in it as well as thicker locking lugs. I would question the amount of bolt thrust in a standard 110 action. :-\

defoxer
11-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Dont forget Parker O's body of work.....thrust on the lugs is proportional to angle of the case walls and the amount of friction in the chamber.

efm77
11-23-2010, 10:24 PM
True but I wouldn't just trust that alone and bet my safety on the chamber having enough friction to hold the cartridge and keep it in place with questionable margins of safety for the lugs and abutments. Again I point you to what Sharp Shooter Supply said about Lapua size cartridges in the Savage action. He is a professional gunsmith with tons of experience with the Savage action and if he says it's marginal, I'm going to take his word for it.

GLZ
11-23-2010, 10:30 PM
So the consensus is the RUM, WSM cases are the largest that can be safely handled by a Savage?

geargrinder
11-23-2010, 10:49 PM
I think the only safe thing to say is that there is no consensus. :)

I have my own opinion and don't listen to many others.

If I choose to use one of these on one of my 110 actions I know I'm using them in a way they were not designed for or endorsed by the manufacturer.

I accept responsibility for my actions. Pun partially intended. ;D

sinman
11-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Some say its safe some don't, some have rifles with opened up bolt heads to lapua size and some don't.

GLZ
11-24-2010, 07:54 AM
I think the only safe thing to say is that there is no consensus. :)

I have my own opinion and don't listen to many others.

If I choose to use one of these on one of my 110 actions I know I'm using them in a way they were not designed for or endorsed by the manufacturer.

I accept responsibility for my actions. Pun partially intended. ;D

Geargrinder, I agree 100%. See above, I have 2 bolts coming. FYI, my calculatons (using 65,000 PSI for the RUM, WSM and 60,000 PSI for the Lapua as shown in QL and other internet sources) show the bolt thrust on the RUM, RSAUM, WSM, WSSM are for all pratical purposes the same as the Lapua! Less than 1.0% differance. This was calculated using actual case diameters. I am going to section some brass this weekend and try to get an actual I.D. for a closer look, I'm thinking the Lapua haas thicker walls.

defoxer
11-24-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm interested to know how you have calculated the force on the lugs, this figure depends on many variables; how have you allowed for the frictional resistive forces within the chamber walls and have you considered the resultant force on the case (and the bolt/lugs) from the tapering of the chamber walls? this angle is different per round. If the force was calculated by multiplying the base area by the pressure; that would be erroneous...

GLZ
11-24-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm interested to know how you have calculated the force on the lugs, this figure depends on many variable; how have you allowed for the frictional resistive forces withint he chamber walls and have you considered the resultant force on the case (and the bolt/lugs) from the tapering of the chamber walls? this angle is different per round. If the force was calculated by multiplying the base area by the pressure; that would be erroneous...

You are correct, the actual number is much less than the number I came up with, but that is true with both cartridges. Most of the naysayers want to tell you that you cannot depend on the chamber to cartridge friction. So, if you compare apples to apples (NO Friction) the resulting numbers are so close it is scary. Due to the length of the cartridges (short bearing area) I suspect that the WSSM (super short) cartridges are the worst. If it really bothered me I would not have ordered 2 bolt heads or shoot my Rem Clone LAPUA. The bottom line is when you start modifying ANY firearm; YOU (the modifier) must take responsibility for your action and consequences. I'm good with that. If the next guy is not, DON’T DO IT!

efm77
11-25-2010, 07:23 AM
How can the thrust between the Lapua and a RUM be that close when the Lapua has a larger diameter head which results in greater surface area? The PSI might be close but with the Lapua it's over a larger area which is why there is greater thrust. I'm no expert but SSS has said before that it's too risky with a Lapua size cartridge in the Savage action and since he knows Savages inside and out and said that he tested it with poor results (lug setback), I'll heed his warnings. To each their own.