PDA

View Full Version : 338 Lapua Bolthead at Midway

Pages : 1 [2]

GLZ
11-25-2010, 09:08 AM
How can the thrust between the Lapua and a RUM be that close when the Lapua has a larger diameter head which results in greater surface area? The PSI might be close but with the Lapua it's over a larger area which is why there is greater thrust. I'm no expert but SSS has said before that it's too risky with a Lapua size cartridge in the Savage action and since he knows Savages inside and out and said that he tested it with poor results (lug setback), I'll heed his warnings. To each their own.

Unless the CIP and SAAMI specs I have are wrong, which is possible, the Lapua is a lower pressure round.
Please do not use or trust my calculations, but if I was scared of a Lapua I would run away form the RUM sized rounds also.

efm77
11-25-2010, 10:55 AM
I understand that the Lapua is lower pressure but you still have rearward thrust on a larger area because of the larger head so even though the pressure is lower I would think it would still push harder against the lugs. Same as with air brakes on a tractor/trailer vs fluid brakes on a car. The fluid brakes operate at a much higher pressure but the air brakes have greater stopping power because the air is pushing on a piston that is much larger in surface area creating more thrust against the brake pads. Take a look at what Fred at SSS said about it in this thread.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,36123.0.html

defoxer
11-25-2010, 05:59 PM
According to CIP info;
338Lapua Mag Pmax 4700Bar
338RemUltMag Pmax 4400Bar

The english tested the bolt force by lubricating the chamber, I understand this was a standard method, which converts all of the available energy to rear ward thrust (thus amplifying the actual thrust). It is only this method that produces the forces that you would calculate through pressure x area base. These forces would in no time set back the lugs and destroy bolts but not alter the outward force on the chamber (tending to stretch the case out)

Nefarioud
11-25-2010, 10:13 PM
I accept responsibility for my actions. Pun partially intended. ;D

Nicely done sir

Anyone Know what kinda of pressures the Edge is making? All this pressure stuff is dizzying. But I kinda occurs to me if your throwing the same projectile at very near the same rate igniting similar loads of the same powders with the same primers; the forces ought be near the same. Still, by my ciphering the 338LM puts about about 1132 more pounds of force on the bolt head than the higher pressure loads with a smaller bolt face at stated pressures. (though BAR works, more people readily understand pounds, even the "english" still use pounds but it's mainly to buy stuff) It also occurs to me that even the 15,580 that the LM is capable of exerting would fall below the couple compressive stress tolerances I've seen for the steels in question.

Will it eventually ruin the action? Probably-ish. Would that stop me from building a crazy barrel burning hot-rod? Probably not-ish. Will we ever really know unless someone does it? NO. Do we really need to know? No Idea

Experimentation is not without it's risks. Unfortunately, innovation on any particular scale requires experimentation.

Whether or not it's worth the risk is an individual decision. I bought a 110BA because the money was worth less than the risk, I'll use that action as the basis for my hot rod in the spring; but, that's just me