PDA

View Full Version : E Lock or dial safe

Pages : [1] 2

Twofst2c
02-21-2021, 11:19 PM
I’m having a hard time deciding on a dial lock or e-lock safe. Shopping in the price range of Liberty/Cannon. Opinions please!

Phreddie30.06
02-22-2021, 01:14 AM
Dial. Some elocks can be deleted with a magnet

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Twofst2c
02-22-2021, 08:51 AM
My main concern is that the key pad dies on me and I can’t get in the safe if there’s no back up key.

yobuck
02-22-2021, 09:24 AM
I suppose problems can happen with either type. That said, in about 20 years ive never had any issues with my manually dialed safes, but have several friends who have with the electronic type. No doubt however that pushing buttons is faster and easier.
Many safes are simply branded names and actually made by other companies.
Combinations on manually controlled locks can be changed pretty easily and for very little cost.
It might require a company approved technition however in order not to violate a warranty.
As a rule, the key that unlocks the dial on the manually operated ones is a master type key that will fit every safe built by that company. So losing that key is no big deal. Its also not really necessary to lock the dial, but it does offer another layer of security.

Balljoint
02-22-2021, 10:38 AM
Have had a Liberty manual keyed dialed for over 20 yrs. and NO problems.

PhilC
02-22-2021, 11:20 AM
Liberty is made by Liberty, happened to be one of the three brands I narrowed my selection to. Discussed lock options with local seller and the biggest pro for electrical vs mechanical lock was quick entry, valueless feature for me so chose the S&G keyed dial.

Bill2905
02-22-2021, 09:15 PM
I have a Liberty Colonial with the S&G e Lock. I like the quick entry of the e Lock but do have some concerns about a failure. I may inquire with the dealer about having it changed. Has anyone ever done this?

JeepsAndGuns
02-23-2021, 01:18 PM
I have a fortress safe I bought over 20 years ago (sometime in the late 90's). It has a dial lock. While I have never had any issues with it, it is very slow to open.
Around 2016 I bought a new larger safe from a local sporting goods store. It is a champion medalist. It came with a S&G e-lock. The safe company had a extended lifetime warranty you could buy that would cover the lock and safe. If the lock ever failed, you can contact them and they would come out, and open the safe and repair the safe and lock. So that gives me a piece of mind.
It is so much easier and quicker to open. I keep my most commonly used guns in it, and the older smaller safe with the dial lock, I keep my guns that I do not shoot as often.

I say if you get a e-lock, make sure the company (both the lock and safe) are reputable and have good warranties. See if they offer one like I mentioned above that will cover opening and repairing the safe if it does fail. I think I paid something like $100 for the extended warranty.

Stumpkiller
02-23-2021, 01:51 PM
I'm a real Luddite when it comes to [what I would consider] safety equipment. Manual/analog would be my choice.

ninner
02-23-2021, 02:02 PM
I bought a cannon safe with an e-lock but it seemed every time I needed to get in it the battery was dead. I bought a dial lock and installed it myself for $45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whynot
03-03-2021, 10:34 PM
It's pretty easy to switch between dial and electronic locks. The local lock shop will switch from dial to E-lock for $200 (and supply the new lock). I prefer the old dial style... and if you are willing to do some reading up on it- it is not hard to switch them to a combination that is easier for you to remember. They are much slower- so I would recommend some type of a rapid release system for storing at least one.

PhilC
03-04-2021, 01:34 PM
That brings up an interesting question, how quickly would you need to access what's in your safe?

With stopwatch feature on my phone, and using the same hand to push start/stop button and turn dial, it took 19.6secs to open my safe.

Robinhood
03-06-2021, 11:22 AM
That brings up an interesting question, how quickly would you need to access what's in your safe?

With stopwatch feature on my phone, and using the same hand to push start/stop button and turn dial, it took 19.6secs to open my safe.

Great reason to keep a self defense weapon out of the safe when at home.

PhilC
03-08-2021, 01:34 PM
For sure.

J.Baker
03-12-2021, 07:14 PM
Definitely prefer something closer and quicker to access for a home defense gun, whether it's a handgun or a long gun. Something just big enough to keep your firearm of choice in by the bedside with a biometric or RFID lock seems to be the best option. Hornady and Vaultek both offer some good options along those lines.

JW
03-19-2021, 05:44 AM
I have both dial and e-lock and no issues with either kind the last 10-12 years. I do like the ease of getting into the e-lock.
That said, I am sure both can wear out dependent on the amount of use.
My local sporting goods dealer has had to replace 2 dial locks on his safe ( guessing in about a 15 year span).
But he opens his safe 6 days a week.
I think it will be personal preference that decides which one.

halsuttle91
03-22-2021, 01:09 PM
Now I have The Liberty Colonial 23, the "simplest" of the Liberty models. If you're looking for a safe that can resist fires, burglary attempts, and other disasters, the Colonial 23 is the perfect choice.
work time - employee monitoring software (https://www.worktime.com)

Orezona
06-04-2021, 09:51 PM

Am I the only person that carries while at home? Or at least one with in reach while working in the garage and such.

PhilC
06-05-2021, 10:44 AM
Am I the only person that carries while at home? Or at least one with in reach while working in the garage and such.
No.

ragsflh
06-12-2021, 09:09 AM
no