PDA

View Full Version : Model 11/111 Lightweight Hunters - 5 1/2 to 6 lb.

Pages : [1] 2

Bigfoot
11-14-2010, 11:49 AM
I've been wanting an even lighter Savage for years so I'm looking forward to one of these in 260 Rem.

Any information on these future models?

Where did did Savage trim 16 oz from?

I already have my 6 1/2 lb scoped 300 WSM so I'm looking towards the 260 for a lighter recoil (much lighter :)) deer-hog rifle.

pdog06
11-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Not sure where they trimmed the weight from, but I want one in a .260 also... ;D

The 6.5lb Wizzum must be brutal when doing load development :o

Bigfoot
11-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Yeah... thank god for that Lead-Sled. ;D

I'm still waiting for a Vais brake and some final reloading stuff for it(come on Midway,sheesh) so I've only shot full power loads and it's pretty brutal. I've got some bulky 5744 powder, some 125 BTs and some soft 150 SSTs so I'm sure I can come up with some 300 Savage velocity loads. I can tame it but a 260 Rem with 100 gr BT loaded to 250 Savage velocity would be even softer shooting and still be all I need for blacktail. Plus I've always wanted a 6.5 for those slippery bullets.

It's a safe guess that the 11/111 Lightweight Hunter has a lighter bolt handle and a pencil barrel. Sure like to hear some details and possibly a picture.

Aircraftmech76
11-14-2010, 08:12 PM
I agree. Details and pics.

Kevin

tammons
11-14-2010, 09:06 PM
If it were me and I probably will build one of these sooner or later, just build a 20"-22" pencil barreled 6.8 SPC.
I had a 6.8 spc AR and my dad (90 YO and still hunting) has a mini 14 in 6.8 SPC.

I am getting 2800 out of the mini with an 18" barrel and the primers are still very round, so 2900-3000 fps should be no problem no problem.
you can push this cartridge a lot.

That will keep the recoil down even from a 260, but that cartridge especially with the new barnes 95 gr TTSX
bullets hits deer and hogs like a sledge hammer out to about 350 yards.

At 3000 fps the 95 grainer it carries 800 fpe out to 400 yards.
Zero at 200, 1.5" high at 100 and 3" low at 250 yards.

A 5X elk was taken a couple of years ago at 350 yards in colorado with a 110 gr accubond although not my choice for elk, but to me its the hardest hitting low recoil round I have used. A large black bear was also taken with 2 shots with 110 gr TSX bullets.

SSA makes great ammo and also sells very good small primer pocket brass.

Should be easy to hit 6# with the right setup.
Not sure on a stock though.

I had a 16" barreld ar that weighed 6#4oz dry with scope and mount, and recoil was minimal.
Quickload sez 8.5# of recoil at 6# 4oz which seems about right.

Geez, I have almost talked myself into it.

Bigfoot
11-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks Tammons but I'll save the 6.8 discussions for when I'm posting on the 6.8Forums.

Right now I'm on the Savage forum asking about their new model.

I wonder if as I'm on the 6.8Forums asking about using a SU-16 as a base someone will suggest that I get a Savage Lightweight in 260 instead. ;)

bluealtered
11-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Darn it Bigfoot, i was just about to plunk down the money for my next .260, now you say there might be a factory .260 in the works. Hopefully someone in the know will pipe up here before i start this project and save some money that would of course be spent on powder, bullets, etc.

I thought about a super lite weight, but decided on a 1:8 twist 20" heavy sporter instead, and now this comes up. Geeeez.

As for the 6.8, yep it's a great cartridge. I love mine. The su16 should work for that as well, thats a handy little rifle too. blue

tammons
11-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Oh got it.
I meant building a 6.8 savage.
Did not know they had a new model out.

Wonder what sort of stock they are using.

Bigfoot
11-15-2010, 01:37 PM
I've considered a S/A .277 caliber either a 277-308 or 277-284 to use the 95gr TTSX or the light Accubonds on the small side and 270 Win bullets on the heavy end. It would kick about like a starting load 260 with the 95gr and beat the 260 on heavy game. I like the idea of using the same bullets as the 6.8.

Honestly though the 260 is versatile enough that it probably won't get changed, just have to start buying 6.5mm bullets. I'd like to know the twist rate, Savage uses an 8 twist on their 6.5-284 rifles but I think their old 260 barrels were a 9 twist.

But above all it needs to be light. Which brings me back to the Lightweight Hunter.

They might have shrunk the dimencions of the reciever like Kimber does. I just don't see Savage using exotic materials for the reciever or the stock.

Blue, MrFurious says that Savage will be building several 260s, some built heavier.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,36677.0.html

tammons
11-15-2010, 02:03 PM
A lot of good bullets out there in 6.5mm for sure.

A 270-08 is just a no-brainer and I dont know why somebody has not legitimized it yet.

Still I have a 308 and can up or down load it from 110 gr TTSX up to 220 gr pro hunters.
Also Hawk does make a 250 gr round nose but I never tried it,
For me I cant see the need of a 260, 270-08 etc.
A little better BC and SD a little less recoil but thats about it.

Right now I am into the 208 gr amax over RL17.

One thing I would like is a 308 pencil barrel for hunting.

The lightest 6.5 mm barnes bullet is a 100 gr bullet, so not much difference between it and the 95 gr 6.8 bullet.

The 6.8 95 gr bullet was designed to open at 1600 fps so thats a good thing if you want to download.

Not sure where the 308 110 gr TTSX or 100 gr 6.5 TTSX bullets are designed to open.

You know this, but the reason I mentioned the 6.8 SPC is its efficiency, IE that it can push a 95 br bullet in a bolt action loaded long with a decent barrel length to 3000 fps with about 29-30 gr or so of powder. A lot less powder and less recoil, smaller lighter shell and you can get more in the mag.

Still trying to talk myself into a new barrel I guess.
If midway carried them I probably would have already ordered one.

bluealtered
11-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks Bigfoot, once again i'm caught not paying attention to the important stuff. blue

flyinsquirel
11-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Let's keep this going. Can't wait to see some specs on these. Was just about to break down and buy a Kimber Montana.

Cycler
11-16-2010, 09:39 PM
A 270-08 is just a no-brainer and I dont know why somebody has not legitimized it yet.
Most likely because the 7mm-08 preempted it. Even Jack O'Conner admitted that if the .280 Rem (aka 7 mm Express or 7mm-06) had been developed first, he wouldn't have been so much of an enthusiast for the .270.

Bigfoot
11-17-2010, 05:57 AM
I've been keeping my eyes open for a Montana in 260 also. They stopped chambering them years ago them so it would have to be used. The Kimbers have two problems, they are a bit pricey and many have had QC problems with their barrels. Guess which guns go onto the used gun market. I would have an even chance of getting a non-shooter 260.

I really doubt that a Savage Lightweight would have inherent accuracy problems.

The price point will be interesting to see. Most of the true ultralights don't sell too well, titanium is $pendy and difficult to machine. I hear that Rem has dropped their 700 Ti altogether. Can Savage produce these cheaply enough so they don't have to charge a grand for them? Savage could have one heck of a market beater here.

A scout rifle is supposed to weigh 6.6 lb all up. One of these with a SSS extended magazine would make the weight easily.

Plus assuming that it has a barrel nut opens it up to many caliber options. Tammons was right about these making a great bolt action 6.8 or Grendel platform. Sorry bout that snarky post brother, initially I thought that you were recommending a lightweight 6.8 AR build over the new Savage.

Bigfoot

bluealtered
11-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Two others questions pop up for me, what twist is it going to be? 8, 8.5 or 9? There are plenty of light bullet calibers out there already. The other is that i weigh my rifles when i recieve them and have yet to get one that really weighs what it's supposed to. They are always heavier, maybe i need to take the bolt out and sling studs off and then weigh them.

By the way, if anybody from the factory is reading this, a 8 twist would work for me, then i could go heavy and lighter. blue

tammons
11-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Tammons was right about these making a great bolt action 6.8 or Grendel platform. Sorry bout that snarky post brother, initially I thought that you were recommending a lightweight 6.8 AR build over the new Savage.
Bigfoot

No problem.
I was wondering what it was all about.

I had a 6.8 lightweight AR and it was great.
Had a 16" ultralight cardinal barrel flat top upper, carbon fiber hand guard, Cav II lower, Leupold ultralight scope.
Weighed 6#4oz dry.
If I would have worked on it a bit more I could have gotten it under 6# with a scope.
With iron sights it was under 6#

Recoil is just not even an issue with the 6.8 spc and it is a real hog whacker.

For some idiotic reason I sold it and now you cant get Cav lowers any more since the owner got busted.
Still regret that, but I really prefer bolt action rifles.

Well my dad at 90YO is still hunting and now has a mini14 in 6.8 and loves that rifle.

He killed a deer about two weeks ago but he is so weak in the shoulders he could not get it into the truck.
I set him up with a wench a few days ago.

cowboyarcher
11-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Tammons was right about these making a great bolt action 6.8 or Grendel platform. Sorry bout that snarky post brother, initially I thought that you were recommending a lightweight 6.8 AR build over the new Savage.
Bigfoot

No problem.
I was wondering what it was all about.

I had a 6.8 lightweight AR and it was great.
Had a 16" ultralight cardinal barrel flat top upper, carbon fiber hand guard, Cav II lower, Leupold ultralight scope.
Weighed 6#4oz dry.
If I would have worked on it a bit more I could have gotten it under 6# with a scope.
With iron sights it was under 6#

Recoil is just not even an issue with the 6.8 spc and it is a real hog whacker.

For some idiotic reason I sold it and now you cant get Cav lowers any more since the owner got busted.
Still regret that, but I really prefer bolt action rifles.

Well my dad at 90YO is still hunting and now has a mini14 in 6.8 and loves that rifle.

He killed a deer about two weeks ago but he is so weak in the shoulders he could not get it into the truck.
I set him up with a wench a few days ago.

Since we're already way off topic, have you seen these?

http://www.pcfmfg.com/

What would one of these with a 16" bull barrel and full length handguard (JK Enterprises) weigh, roughly? I should have one together by weeks end. . .

Adam

tammons
11-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Have not seen them but they look interesting.
That pink model is disgusting though.

I would think it would be a few oz heavier than the cav II lower.
The cav lower was right at 1# lighter than a standard AR lower.
With a 16" heavy barrel maybe 7.5-8# or so with a light scope like a 2-7x VX1 leupold just guessing

Bison sells a lightweight 16" 6.8 barrel from what I understand.
I am sort of out of the AR loop right now.

Bigfoot
11-22-2010, 02:56 PM
No info. :-[

Will we see them or get any information at the Shot Show?

bluealtered
11-22-2010, 07:20 PM
I have had one for a while now. I started it on a bison 18" 6.8spc just to see what would happen, what happened is that it worked just fine, no problem of any kind. The trigger is smoother and a little lighter than most factory ar's. After getting 200rds through it i put j&p light hammer and trigger springs in it, i did then have a couple of light hammer strikes so i went back to the normal .40 spring for the hammer, no more light strikes and still a very good trigger.

It now sits on a scoped oly k3-a3 patrol man, (16"). It is supposed to be a little over a pound lighter than a standard lower, i haven't weighed this one but it does make for a very light carry ar. Simply follow their break in instructions and it works well. blue