PDA

View Full Version : Explain the Large Shank "thing"

Pages : [1] 2

Shooter0302
07-30-2020, 12:53 PM
OK, I can kinda understand "brain trust" at Savage thinking ambulance chasing lawyers, so lets use the large shank threads on the high pressure rounds like the 338L,300 Ultra mag. Ect. but a 6.5 CM ?, I had a 7 Mag. that had a small shank. Sometimes I think e just like screwing with shooters :(

Ted_Feasel
07-30-2020, 01:07 PM
OK, I can kinda understand "brain trust" at Savage thinking ambulance chasing lawyers, so lets use the large shank threads on the high pressure rounds like the 338L,300 Ultra mag. Ect. but a 6.5 CM ?, I had a 7 Mag. that had a small shank. Sometimes I think e just like screwing with shooters :(Originally large shank was mainly used for precision shooters and wsm as well as other mag roumds, back in the day, large shank could handle higher pressure better but now day with better alloys, manufacturing techniques etc that isn't necessarily the case. But back to the basics, I believe it had to do with precision shooting more than anything.. i imagine someone will correct me if I'm off base:)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

tobnpr
07-31-2020, 04:44 PM
^^^
This.
Used for magnums for more meat around the chamber, and target rifles for heavier contour barrels.

https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?127-Savage-Barrel-Shank-Sizes

Shooter0302
07-31-2020, 10:40 PM
^^^
This.
Used for magnums for more meat around the chamber, and target rifles for heavier contour barrels.

https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?127-Savage-Barrel-Shank-Sizes

That's about as rich as two feet up a bull's butt. Point in question, a "Savage varmint" contour is .800 at the muzzle, and are connected for the most part with standard shanks. The BA Stealth has a muzzle OD of .760, While not sporter contour it's a far cry from a target barrel contour.

Robinhood
07-31-2020, 11:03 PM
SAVAGE CUSTOMER/FIREARMS SUPPORT PHONE - US or Canada: (800) 370-0708

Stupid answers for stupid questions

mnbogboy2
07-31-2020, 11:42 PM
That's about as rich as two feet up a bull's butt. Point in question, a "Savage varmint" contour is .800 at the muzzle, and are connected for the most part with standard shanks. The BA Stealth has a muzzle OD of .760, While not sporter contour it's a far cry from a target barrel contour.

The first WSMs were small shank....they suffered from "chronic" chamber swell causing difficulties for hand loaders.
Target actions also used the large shank to maximize barrel size (ie: bull barrels w/o need for shoulder). The muzzle diameter has nothing to do with the thread shank. If your stealth was ordered with any magnum caliber most likely would always be better off with a larger shank.
Hard to see an argument on this one.

Ted_Feasel
08-01-2020, 08:30 AM
The first WSMs were small shank....they suffered from "chronic" chamber swell causing difficulties for hand loaders.
Target actions also used the large shank to maximize barrel size (ie: bull barrels w/o need for shoulder). The muzzle diameter has nothing to do with the thread shank. If your stealth was ordered with any magnum caliber most likely would always be better off with a larger shank.
Hard to see an argument on this one.I remember reading (a good bit ago) that the main purpose for the large shank was to maintain accuracy for long distance shooters.. i dont really know thats just what I read

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/savage-large-vs-small-shank-history.3937870/

Shooter0302
08-01-2020, 10:46 AM
Hard to see an argument on this one.
DID YOU READ the part about this being on a 6.5 CM ?
Ted, I can understand their logic, use a large shank and call it a "tuned action"

mnbogboy2
08-01-2020, 11:15 AM
Ted, I can understand their logic, use a large shank and call it a "tuned action"

Yes, probably no need for large shank here, but if the "Stealth model" uses large shank exclusively (don't know), would it make sense to keep to change the shank back & forth?
If they are switching back & forth then they are just using up available parts. A person can't put anything past "business" practices in today's world.

Ted_Feasel
08-01-2020, 11:31 AM
Ted, I can understand their logic, use a large shank and call it a "tuned action"No, I missed the part on 6.5 creedmoor.

Ted_Feasel
08-01-2020, 11:37 AM
I have noticed though the 6.5 creedmoor operates at a higher pressure than alot of magnum cartridges. I would think now days with the alloys and machining improvements that you could get everything you need in small shank ( with exceptions of course ) but thats just my opinion:)

sharpshooter
08-01-2020, 03:59 PM
Wanna hear a viable reason???

Ted_Feasel
08-01-2020, 04:34 PM
Wanna hear a viable reason???Definitely, ive read and heard so much regarding this, it would be nice to get a definite answer

mnbogboy2
08-01-2020, 05:56 PM
Wanna hear a viable reason???

Waiting here also...

Shooter0302
08-01-2020, 07:48 PM
Also waiting to see if it's better that mine " I can understand their logic, use a large shank and call it a "tuned action"and charge more:"

sharpshooter
08-02-2020, 12:03 AM
The Stealth, the precision Elite and the rest of those "crutch" guns with the erector set stocks, use the precision action (the one with the small port). The precision actions, whether it's an LRPV, LRP, or precision target actions, are all large shank.
Yes, there is marketing hype involved. The precision actions, although stiffer, are not anymore "tuned or blue printed" than a standard action.

Ted_Feasel
08-02-2020, 08:55 AM
The Stealth, the precision Elite and the rest of those "crutch" guns with the erector set stocks, use the precision action (the one with the small port). The precision actions, whether it's an LRPV, LRP, or precision target actions, are all large shank.
Yes, there is marketing hype involved. The precision actions, although stiffer, are not anymore "tuned or blue printed" than a standard action.That pretty much goes along with the article I posted, they said basically they were aimed more towards precision shooters.. it didnt state because its was "stiffer" but I think most of us would just kinda assume that

mnbogboy2
08-02-2020, 12:07 PM
Thanks sharpshooter, I thought I had read somewhere that all the Stealths were large shank. That should satisfy the OP.

Shooter0302
08-02-2020, 01:02 PM
Thanks sharpshooter, I thought I had read somewhere that all the Stealths were large shank. That should satisfy the OP. OK I'll say content , but when you look at the bbl.contours , bbl. length, Bbl. twists, I still say it's as much a marketing ploy as anything.
AND, start looking for prefits with Lg. shank's, and that brings on a whole lot of " hate and discount" toward Savage for using a Lg shank on a Stealth, and then putting a whimpy ass Bbl.on it.AND, dealing with perfit Bbl makers, " sure we can do Lg. Shanks with X Y & Z profiles BUT NOT M T or U profiles, Others say sure BUT it will add $$$ to the cost. AND, it goes on & on.
Now you'll may ask "why did I buy it" simple it was about half the price of a new one, and it was left handed.

Ted_Feasel
08-02-2020, 01:08 PM
Just a question for my curiosity (in this case the cigar is just a cigar lol) but let's have kinda a survey of sorts.. would you (anyone that wants to answer) prefer they made only large or only small? As I said, its just a question and in my perspective there is no wrong answer.