PDA

View Full Version : Explain the Large Shank "thing"

Pages : 1 [2]

Fuj'
08-03-2020, 08:16 AM
Just a question for my curiosity (in this case the cigar is just a cigar lol) but let's have kinda a survey of sorts.. would you (anyone that wants to answer) prefer they made only large or only small? As I said, its just a question and in my perspective there is no wrong answer.

Good deal Ted....

Well, for the survey part of it, the small shank "could" be preferred by hunters
in a bid to get carry weight down. Large shank "could" be preferred for target
shooters in a bid to get control of heat and harmonics. Both shanks can throw
the pill in the same spot for your cold bore, but as the round count goes up.
the large shank barrel will have the edge. Length of barrel, and taper, is always
the consideration. Savage puts the choices out there. No sense naggin' about
it. It is what it is, and no pleasing everyone.

Ted_Feasel
08-03-2020, 08:21 AM
Good deal Ted....

Well, for the survey part of it, the small shank "could" be preferred by hunters
in a bid to get carry weight down. Large shank "could" be preferred for target
shooters in a bid to get control heat and harmonics. Both shanks can throw
the pill in the same spot for your cold bore, but as the round count goes up.
the large shank barrel will have the edge. Length of barrel, and taper, is always
the consideration. Savage puts the choices out there. No sense naggin' about
it. It is what it is, and no pleasing everyone.Cool, thank for the perspective.. i would love to hear more people also. All the points you make, make sense.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

efm77
08-04-2020, 11:46 AM
I prefer the large shank with anything belted magnum and larger in case diameter because I like the little bit of extra thickness it gives around the chamber wall on that portion extending beyond the receiver ring. Standard calibers, I don't really care either way. As far as difficulty getting a large shank barrel made or it costing more, I have never ever had a problem with that at all. Of course I haven't dealt with every barrel maker either but most of mind have come from McGowen. I can tell you that they definitely do not charge more for a large shank and still make it whatever contour you want, at least as far as I've ever had dealings with them.

Texas10
08-07-2020, 09:20 PM
IMOP, there simply is no comparison in action stiffness when comparing a large shank single shot target action and a small shank, center feed action. The amount of material removed from the action for feed and ejection is substantial in a model 10,11,12 small shank, and can't help but negatively affect harmonics and stiffness. Furthermore, the target action has three pillar mount points, compared to the smaller action's 2.

I own mostly small shank actions built around the model 12FV typically purchased on sale at Cabelas for an incredibly cheap price (in days' gone by). They'll shoot reliably down to 1/3 moa, but getting below that is difficult for me.