PDA

View Full Version : Savage quality

Pages : [1] 2 3

4ShtnDead
06-23-2020, 07:30 PM
I have been doing some research on the Savage 110 high country and I saw another forum about a guy having a terrible time with poor quality machining. Has anyone else noticed that Savage doesn't do a good job of machining/maintaining tolerances on their rifles? This isn't exactly a cheap rifle at over $1100 for that lack of quality.

want2ride
06-23-2020, 07:35 PM
if that guy is the one that is on his 3rd rifle because he kept sending them back... well i just don't believe him.

Wolf
06-23-2020, 07:53 PM
Every Savage I've ever owned go out shoot anybody can shoot it. You find a ride ammo you got sub Moa at any distance

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Ted_Feasel
06-23-2020, 07:54 PM
I've seen many savage barrels that have tool/chatter marks but still hold 1moa or better and they just get better as you shoot them out

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Robinhood
06-23-2020, 10:13 PM
Savages are not immune to issues. Not a problem for me though because every one I see goes through a rebuild with only a few exceptions.

charlie b
06-23-2020, 10:43 PM
I don't know what some people think is bad machine work.

I have a not inexpensive 12BVSS. I have not found any rough spots on it yet. It is matte stainless so minor issues don't really show up. The bolt can still be jammed when trying to rush a reload. Some of the edges are not stoned smooth (I would not expect a lot of hand work on a rifle at this price range). Machining is consistent and as accurate as I need.

The bore was the only rough spot (.308). Took quite a bit of work to get it to shoot anywhere near 1/2MOA but 1MOA was fairly easy to get to.

If I had it to do over again I would have done an exhaustive break in. Since I did not I ended up using some Iosso paste to smooth out the rough spots a bit. It is still a copper mine so I clean it every time I shoot it. It also does not like to be hot. Now days I shoot cast in it. Still just a bit less than MOA with cast bullets.

The real problem with most production rifles (even at these prices) is you may or may not get a great barrel, or a bad barrel. Depending on the model, Savage may replace one that does not shoot well.

The good thing is most Savages will shoot better than MOA with some doing less than 1/2MOA. Keep in mind that in this range of accuracy the shooter can be a big part of the problem/solution.

Robinhood
06-24-2020, 12:23 AM
12BVSS is cheap huh? Stainless action, heavy barrel and an expensive laminate stock. What did you give for that?

Txhillbilly
06-24-2020, 01:39 AM
12BVSS is cheap huh? Stainless action, heavy barrel and an expensive laminate stock. What did you give for that?

My old 12 FLVSS was pretty cheap,I paid $350 for it. Yes,It was used,but barely.

Ted_Feasel
06-24-2020, 06:40 AM
Savages are not immune to issues. Not a problem for me though because every one I see goes through a rebuild with only a few exceptions.I think alot of people expect shilen select or criterion bore finish and thats just not realistic on a mass produced firearm

charlie b
06-24-2020, 06:57 AM
I said 'not inexpensive'. :) But, not the most expensive. New it was under $1000 by a little bit.

Robinhood
06-24-2020, 08:00 AM
My old 12 FLVSS was pretty cheap,I paid $350 for it. Yes,It was used,but barely.

Thats not a BVSS but still a great price

Robinhood
06-24-2020, 08:01 AM
I said 'not inexpensive'. :) But, not the most expensive. New it was under $1000 by a little bit.

Thats what I was thinking. I paid just a little under that. I wish I had never split that rifle up

wbm
06-24-2020, 09:45 AM
I saw another forum about a guy having a terrible time with poor quality machining.

I think some of these "guys" have a terrible time just living. Hell just buy something else.

Txhillbilly
06-24-2020, 09:48 AM
Thats not a BVSS but still a great price

That's true,But I did put a laminate stock on it so it's basically the same rifle. Only the LH actions don't come in Stainless. It also has a SSS Competition trigger in it that the guy gave me.

https://i.imgur.com/MrgPW6e.jpg

Robinhood
06-24-2020, 09:49 AM
I think some of these "guys" have a terrible time just living. Hell just buy something else.

I agree, I feel sorry for their wives....all of the expectations and nothing in return.

wbm
06-24-2020, 02:59 PM
I hear ya. There is one on another forum "BEWARE USPS"...he had a delayed shipment and it was like Santa died at his house. Just page after page of p...and moan.

charlie b
06-24-2020, 04:44 PM
Yep, some people need to complain....a lot.

Ted_Feasel
06-24-2020, 04:46 PM
Love God, love family, love guns, love life.. in that order and all will be well

Texan79423
06-25-2020, 07:15 AM
I own 2 savages. Recently picked up a 10T-SR in 6.5 creedmoor. Right out of box the rifle has a bad extractor. The rifle will not load from mag. Bolt rides over shell and will not strip one to chamber. But shoots 1/4 MOA at 100. I can fix the problems just frustrating. My other two are 100% and great shooters

Jester560
06-25-2020, 07:31 AM
Yep, some people need to complain....a lot.Sounds like my brother. I refuse to go out to eat with him and his wife cause they go looking for something to ***** about.
The same with guns. He had a full custom 1911 and he nit picked it to death.

I have a Savage Axis 22-250 that I bought for less than $200 used. It shoots sub 1/2moa at any distance. It is not the most refined rifle but it works, extremely well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk