PDA

View Full Version : Savage quality

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Fotheringill
06-25-2020, 02:19 PM
I just wish I still had my factory barrel. Much better than the Shilen super duper replacement.

Ted_Feasel
06-25-2020, 03:07 PM
I just wish I still had my factory barrel. Much better than the Shilen super duper replacement.Never seen a factory savage barrel even close to shilen quality and accuracy

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

wbm
06-25-2020, 06:29 PM
I have only had one. Ordered a 1-8 Twist 243 Shilen years ago and it just was not nearly as accurate as the factory barrel was....But I realize that is the exception and not the rule. I would definitely buy another Shilen.

jkv45
06-25-2020, 06:30 PM
I don't know what some people think is bad machine work.

I have a not inexpensive 12BVSS. I have not found any rough spots on it yet. It is matte stainless so minor issues don't really show up. The bolt can still be jammed when trying to rush a reload. Some of the edges are not stoned smooth (I would not expect a lot of hand work on a rifle at this price range). Machining is consistent and as accurate as I need.

The bore was the only rough spot (.308). Took quite a bit of work to get it to shoot anywhere near 1/2MOA but 1MOA was fairly easy to get to.

If I had it to do over again I would have done an exhaustive break in. Since I did not I ended up using some Iosso paste to smooth out the rough spots a bit. It is still a copper mine so I clean it every time I shoot it. It also does not like to be hot. Now days I shoot cast in it. Still just a bit less than MOA with cast bullets.

The real problem with most production rifles (even at these prices) is you may or may not get a great barrel, or a bad barrel. Depending on the model, Savage may replace one that does not shoot well.

The good thing is most Savages will shoot better than MOA with some doing less than 1/2MOA. Keep in mind that in this range of accuracy the shooter can be a big part of the problem/solution.

What specifically would you do for break-in?

Thanks.

charlie b
06-25-2020, 06:40 PM
Probably something like this, from Savage FAQ

https://service.savagearms.com/hc/en-us/articles/214238323-What-is-the-barrel-break-in-procedure-

tobnpr
06-25-2020, 07:50 PM
The barrel itself, and the quality of the chambering, are the two most important factors in building an accurate rifle IMHO.
Mass production barrels are exactly that...
I honestly have no idea what, if any, QC Savage extends to their barrels- based on what I've personally seen I would have to say none.

As mentioned, just about every one I've talked myself into borescoping has absolutely horrible chatter from the rifling button. If I ever got a blank like that from Bartlein, Krieger, Shilen, etc. I'd put it back in the tube and send it back where it came from. Nevertheless, most all shoot "well"- meaning sub-minute, and some much better. Goes to show it's not as detrimental as many presume.

To my point, without stringent QC you can't be sure that EVERY barrel will live up to the high standards that top-end manufacturers stake their reputation on.
Every blank borescoped. Every blank air-gauged and the bore lapped. This is why the top dogs have the reputations they do, and can get the $$ they charge. No smith (none with a brain, anyhow) will want to risk spending a day painstakingly chambering a barrel as precisely as can be done- only to have it fail to shoot due to a lousy bore.

When it comes to barrels, you can guarantee a tack driver if you spend the coin on the barrel and a smith that knows what to do with it (or a prefit from a quality manuf)
Or, you can roll the dice less expensively with a Savage- usually you'll be a happy camper if your expectations are realistic. If not, re-barrel it- because they can be done without a smith, you're hundreds $$ ahead of the game.

The most expensive Savage I ever purchased (I usually just buy the actions) was a recent .338 LM.
Barrel looks like sh**, but shoots 3/4 minute. In my mind, for a bit over a grand- I got a marginal (but safe) action, and a nice chassis that was worth the purchase price. If it didn't shoot, I was going to rebarrel it and it would have still been a good investment.

Keep in mind, if you're an accuracy "freak" like many of us (only accurate rifles are interesting, right?)- scour the pawnshops and pick up a rifle in your desired action length- usually $200-$300 tops will do it.
You can rebarrel it, install a quality trigger, and set it in a decent stock like a B&C and still be at around a grand. In my mind, that's a better route than rolling the dice on a factory stick.

Retired Army Guy
06-29-2020, 11:48 AM
Savage Rifles have a positive reputation for very affordable and accurate rifles. Sometimes they have issues with barrel vs receiver alignment. I haven't dove down the rabbit hole of exactly why or what causes them to sometimes have this problem but it does occasionally happen. It has been documented on this site, verified by my local gunsmiths and has happened to me personally. Based on severity you can either #1-purchases mounts that have adjustable windage/horizontal. #2-Adjust it out with your scope (depending how much you have to adjust this may Not be a good idea) or #3 send it back to the Factory. All factory assembly line produced rifles have issues at one time or another. I would not discount any brand because they had a problem with this or that. If you want absolute perfection either build it yourself if you have the skill set or have one custom built which is going to cost a lot more!

Ted_Feasel
06-29-2020, 12:27 PM
Savage should do what ( i think it was bergera ) did, pay Ed shilen to come in and examine barrel quality control and production.. i think it was bergera..or maybe thompson??

Fotheringill
06-29-2020, 12:35 PM
Never seen a factory savage barrel even close to shilen quality and accuracy

That may well be, but I got one. If Savage would sell a replacement factory barrel for my F/TR, I would get it in a heartbeat.

Ted_Feasel
06-29-2020, 12:39 PM
That may well be, but I got one. If Savage would sell a replacement factory barrel for my F/TR, I would get it in a heartbeat.Yeah I rebarrel all my savages.. i do have a couple that are factory and look rough but are pretty accurate.

Dave Hoback
06-29-2020, 04:39 PM
Never seen a factory savage barrel even close to shilen quality and accuracy

I was thinking the same when I saw that last post. But of course there are exceptions.

Anyway, I’m not sure why Savage is trying to get into the next level rifle class. (Price wise). It gives the “Complaint Department” more ammo of Savage sucking! Broken record. I know MY Savage has exceptional machining and punches FAR above its weight class, considering investment. THAT’s the reason I built it in the first place. Someone wants to buy an $1100+ or whatever Savage, that’s their prerogative. I am however, somewhat dismissive of a person talking ish about how a rifle they felt inclined to purchase LOOKS because of machining marks....and testing it’s performance.

Ted_Feasel
06-29-2020, 06:06 PM
I was thinking the same when I saw that last post. But of course there are exceptions.

Anyway, I’m not sure why Savage is trying to get into the next level rifle class. (Price wise). It gives the “Complaint Department” more ammo of Savage sucking! Broken record. I know MY Savage has exceptional machining and punches FAR above its weight class, considering investment. THAT’s the reason I built it in the first place. Someone wants to buy an $1100+ or whatever Savage, that’s their prerogative. I am however, somewhat dismissive of a person talking ish about how a rifle they felt inclined to purchase LOOKS because of machining marks....and testing it’s performance.I definitely think savage gives you one of the best bangs for the buck pun intended lol. I do think a lot of people expect way too much though from a 4 or $500 rifle

Robinhood
06-29-2020, 10:52 PM
I definitely think savage gives you one of the best bangs for the buck pun intended lol. I do think a lot of people expect way too much though from a 4 or $500 rifle

Or a 5 or 600 dollar optic.

Ted_Feasel
06-30-2020, 06:49 AM
Or a 5 or 600 dollar optic.I gotta say, ive been really happy with some vortex and primary arms optics that were in the 5-600 range even compared to the razor HD i have I dont see alot of difference.

justpassinthru
06-30-2020, 07:22 AM
I just wish I still had my factory barrel. Much better than the Shilen super duper replacement.
Have you contacted Shilen about this problem?

Ted_Feasel
06-30-2020, 07:02 PM
Have you contacted Shilen about this problem?I would DEFINITELY contact shilen.. ive has a dozen select match and not one of them was anything less than one hole barrels

Txhillbilly
07-01-2020, 12:46 AM
I gotta say, ive been really happy with some vortex and primary arms optics that were in the 5-600 range even compared to the razor HD i have I dont see alot of difference.

Ted,If you can't tell the difference between a $500-600 scope and one that cost $1000+,you need to get your eyes checked. There's a world of difference optically and mechanically.
Now,once you start comparing $1500 scopes to $2000 - $3000 scopes,most shooter's can't really see the differences unless they know what to look for,and even then unless you're shooting in extreme conditions and ranges it's hard to notice.

Robinhood
07-03-2020, 08:53 AM
I gotta say, ive been really happy with some vortex and primary arms optics that were in the 5-600 range even compared to the razor HD i have I dont see alot of difference.

Rex Tibor says the same about some of the Primary Arms optics and really gives the reticle designer for PA some credit.

However when it comes to Clarity, CA etc I am with TX hillbilly.

Ted_Feasel
07-03-2020, 10:11 AM
Rex Tibor says the same about some of the Primary Arms optics and really gives the reticle designer for PA some credit.

However when it comes to Clarity, CA etc I am with TX hillbilly.I can definitely agree that like razor hd or similar have a edge in clarity but not much. One of the pa scopes I have is 3-18x50 ffp Athena mill tree reticle and I am impressed with it to say the least.. it returns to 0 flawlessly, the adjustments are true (1 click@100 yards moves .36") , the side focus seem to be dead on and ive been out pretty far with it and image was bright and crisp.. ive heard rumors that they are made by the same Japanese company that makes vortex.. dont know if thats true so I won't say its the gospel.

Robinhood
07-03-2020, 10:20 PM
ive heard rumors that they are made by the same Japanese company that makes vortex.. dont know if thats true so I won't say its the gospel.

Yeah. LOW probably. They are making the flagship for Athlon and probably Bushnells better stuff too. I bet there are others also.