PDA

View Full Version : Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated

Pages : [1] 2

oldwrench
05-14-2020, 06:51 PM
I joined this group because I had had good accuracy with the Savage rifles. I purchased a new Mod 12 Bench Rest in 6mm Norma BR stock number 18614. In November of last year, after a busy pre-hunting season (I am an independent gunsmith by trade) I decided to see what I had before I set it up. I ran my borescope down the barrel just to see what Savage put on their flagship models before I shot it. To my absolute shock, the rifling was a disaster. Squiggle cuts, swarf scars, gouges, lands upset for a good length of the barrel. This was a virgin barrel. I took 2 dozen photographs. I called CS & all seemed good as they sent a RMA and estimated a 3 week TAT. Off it went. I heard nothing from Savage Arms. Tracking indicated it arrived 11/27/19. On 2/5/20 I sent an email of inquiry to the CS rep & received no reply. I then called CS on 2/12/20 and the rep said it was waiting for parts. I found this most troubling. I tried to clear up the real reason for return, however, though polite, she didn't seem to really understand why the unit was there. Fast forward to 4/16/20 I sent all this information with a cover letter, Certified-Return Receipt Requested, to the CS rep and Corporate. Both were signed for. That was 3 weeks ago....crickets. I have as of today sent yet another email to the CS rep out of complete loss of what else to do. I AM pleased I did not burn off several rounds @ $2.30 each. For this kind of money, do you think someone at Savage Arms would care? It never should have made it through inspection. 5 1/2 months is a long time. Anyone have any ideas?

Ted_Feasel
05-14-2020, 07:39 PM
I joined this group because I had had good accuracy with the Savage rifles. I purchased a new Mod 12 Bench Rest in 6mm Norma BR stock number 18614. In November of last year, after a busy pre-hunting season (I am an independent gunsmith by trade) I decided to see what I had before I set it up. I ran my borescope down the barrel just to see what Savage put on their flagship models before I shot it. To my absolute shock, the rifling was a disaster. Squiggle cuts, swarf scars, gouges, lands upset for a good length of the barrel. This was a virgin barrel. I took 2 dozen photographs. I called CS & all seemed good as they sent a RMA and estimated a 3 week TAT. Off it went. I heard nothing from Savage Arms. Tracking indicated it arrived 11/27/19. On 2/5/20 I sent an email of inquiry to the CS rep & received no reply. I then called CS on 2/12/20 and the rep said it was waiting for parts. I found this most troubling. I tried to clear up the real reason for return, however, though polite, she didn't seem to really understand why the unit was there. Fast forward to 4/16/20 I sent all this information with a cover letter, Certified-Return Receipt Requested, to the CS rep and Corporate. Both were signed for. That was 3 weeks ago....crickets. I have as of today sent yet another email to the CS rep out of complete loss of what else to do. I AM pleased I did not burn off several rounds @ $2.30 each. For this kind of money, do you think someone at Savage Arms would care? It never should have made it through inspection. 5 1/2 months is a long time. Anyone have any ideas? I've dealt with them many times and had top notch service. My guess is like most places,.over the last 3 months CS has went to hell because of lack of workers. If you have all the receipts from transfer and all the other items you mentioned, I would just pester the hell out of them untill.you get answers

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Ted_Feasel
05-14-2020, 07:41 PM
I joined this group because I had had good accuracy with the Savage rifles. I purchased a new Mod 12 Bench Rest in 6mm Norma BR stock number 18614. In November of last year, after a busy pre-hunting season (I am an independent gunsmith by trade) I decided to see what I had before I set it up. I ran my borescope down the barrel just to see what Savage put on their flagship models before I shot it. To my absolute shock, the rifling was a disaster. Squiggle cuts, swarf scars, gouges, lands upset for a good length of the barrel. This was a virgin barrel. I took 2 dozen photographs. I called CS & all seemed good as they sent a RMA and estimated a 3 week TAT. Off it went. I heard nothing from Savage Arms. Tracking indicated it arrived 11/27/19. On 2/5/20 I sent an email of inquiry to the CS rep & received no reply. I then called CS on 2/12/20 and the rep said it was waiting for parts. I found this most troubling. I tried to clear up the real reason for return, however, though polite, she didn't seem to really understand why the unit was there. Fast forward to 4/16/20 I sent all this information with a cover letter, Certified-Return Receipt Requested, to the CS rep and Corporate. Both were signed for. That was 3 weeks ago....crickets. I have as of today sent yet another email to the CS rep out of complete loss of what else to do. I AM pleased I did not burn off several rounds @ $2.30 each. For this kind of money, do you think someone at Savage Arms would care? It never should have made it through inspection. 5 1/2 months is a long time. Anyone have any ideas? And BTW, I've had savages and other brands the the barrels were full of chatter marks etc but the still shot 1 moa or better and the particular savage im talking about just got better after about 500 rounds

Shooter0302
05-14-2020, 08:55 PM
I've been walking around since 25 March with only one corrective lens in my frame. 7 April was my 2nd scheduled eye surgery.
I know this isn't relative to your problem but our problems are related because of the virus so, probably no one is at work. But regardless, it is no way for Savage to treat a customer

Ted_Feasel
05-14-2020, 10:05 PM
I've been walking around since 25 March with only one corrective lens in my frame. 7 April was my 2nd scheduled eye surgery.
I know this isn't relative to your problem but our problems are related because of the virus so, probably no one is at work. But regardless, it is no way for Savage to treat a customerI hear you bro but really all.you can do is keep on them till your satisfied. Sometimes the sqeaky wheels gets the grease. The only real life experience i have had with savage has been them bending over backwards to accommodate my issues. I honestly would say patience and persistence are your best friends right now. I can tell you, I work for a world wide corporation and it is nearly impossible to get someone to help you but with enough tries you will get ahold of that one person that cares and will get you what you need.. thats my best advise.. maybe someone else can give you better advise but that is mine my friend... be persistent and relentless

Robinhood
05-14-2020, 11:52 PM
I purchased a new Mod 12 Bench Rest in 6mm Norma BR stock number 18614

(I am an independent gunsmith by trade)

I AM pleased I did not burn off several rounds @ $2.30 each.

One of these statements puzzles me.

sharpshooter
05-15-2020, 12:13 AM
Two of these statements puzzles me.

Orezona
05-15-2020, 12:25 AM
Three of these statements puzzles me. :p

Txhillbilly
05-15-2020, 03:15 AM
That was evidently the first Savage barrel you ever looked at. They all look like a beaver chewed the rifling,but they usually shoot pretty damn good. I don't know how they do it,but they do!

yobuck
05-15-2020, 07:51 AM
Can i have one guess at which two?

Ted_Feasel
05-15-2020, 08:01 AM
Two of these statements puzzles me.Which 2 puzzle you:)

Shooter0302
05-15-2020, 09:41 AM
Are we ALL at home bored ??

Ted_Feasel
05-15-2020, 10:59 AM
Are we ALL at home bored ??Not bored, Friday and Saturday days are my days off so I'm loading dev rounds for my newly built AR15/7.92×39.. YES 7.92 lol

mnbogboy2
05-16-2020, 07:21 PM
Looks like the OP is from Michigan. Probably no hurry getting the return from Savage, doesn't look like their governess is going to open up anything this year!
$2.30 a round in a 6br...means Lapua brass and some godawful expensive custom bullets...lol....if he truly is a smith he probably knows he can reload the brass so that will drive the costs down on the next few batches....lol
Just hassling everyone....we've all been couped up too long.
Hope all are well and stay that way,
God bless America.

Dave Hoback
05-16-2020, 08:01 PM
I’m puzzled as well. You are a “gunsmith”, yes? But you are reflecting on this Savage as if you are brand new to it. I’m a gunsmith/builder but not by trade...not on a professional career basis. Not independent, not co-dependent....not freelance or on the side. I do not now, nor have I ever performed anything firearms related for profit. However, my skill set is respectable. Enough so that I don’t BUY Savages and then look to depend on any warranty. In fact, I haven’t purchased ANY manufacturer’s completed firearm for many, many years. I build all of my own firearms. From 80% receivers where applicable. Now I’m not part of any Gunsmith “Guild” or club...whatever. I don’t personally know any others. It was just always my understanding that this was normal practice among gunsmiths. But perhaps not?

Robinhood
05-16-2020, 10:37 PM

Hehe, Me too but one really stood out.

mnbogboy2
05-16-2020, 11:25 PM
Yes but a gunsmith in michigan may not be allowed to work on guns. The "b..err..witch" thinks she's the queen. It may be one of her Covid rules #2038. Gunsmiths may never work on firearms or fishing poles until May 2028.

wbm
05-17-2020, 09:04 AM
_.

yobuck
05-17-2020, 09:31 AM
Many of our problems are brought about by those of us wanting more, even if we arent required to do much of anything to deserve more.
Maybe especially if we dont do anything, which pretty much describes our political dilemma in places like Michigan.
But beyond that, today we can perform tasks which had in past times been relegated to certain trades and well qualified people, all because of the various machinery and the materials they produce that are available to us today.
So is a 20 year old who can enter a computer program into a very expensive machine, and then watch as it spits out perfectly shaped widgets a machinist?
Likewise is a guy who goes to Lowes and buys a totally assembled new front door unit, then brings it home and installs it with just a very few basic tools a Carpenter? Never mind if a few neibors offer to pay him to do the same for them, does that change the answer?

Just asking. lol

Mr.Snerdly
05-17-2020, 09:39 AM
Some of this slow service doesn't make sense to me. I can understand it to a degree but I would think companies that do mostly online sales wouldn't be affected that much. I wonder if it is somewhat of an excuse to cut jobs and save money. I am waiting on stuff from 30 Mar that normally would have been here in 2 or 3 working days. I bet after this china virus is over with a lot of people won't be hired back and now that we are used to slow service that is what we get for a long time. I could be completely wrong too.