PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 wsm barrel threads

Pages : [1] 2

Pcc1421
03-06-2020, 11:32 AM
Hey guys, I just received my McGowan 6.5 wsm barrel I've been waiting 4 months for. I had a fit taking the smooth barrel nut off of my model 10 but I finally got it squared away and the new barrel is waiting for headspace gauges to arrive. I have the barrel lightly screwed into the action and the barrel nut is literally finger tight but I'm concerned with the amount of threads still showing after just finger tightening the new barrel nut. I'm sure once it is headspaced properly the barrel will shoot just fine, but I am concerned with the amount of unused threads. Is this normal? Because if I try to screw the barrel onto the receiver anymore, the bolt won't close at all. Even without headspace gauges.

Is this normal?

bsekf
03-06-2020, 11:39 AM
Are you talking 1/8"of threads showing or 1/4" or 1/2"?

Pcc1421
03-06-2020, 11:55 AM
Good question. Again I don't have headspace gauges YET to get a final measurement. But on an empty chamber and just screwed in finger tight, I measured .115" of threads showing. I guess it's just a cosmetic issue as I had the barrel cerakoted black and those stainless threads stick out like a sore thumb. But I ordered a long shank and my barrel nuts are the same from factory/aftermarket. I can upload a picture if that will help.

Thanks

Pcc1421
03-06-2020, 11:55 AM
Accidentally double posted

oley55
03-06-2020, 12:44 PM
Just to alleviate your immediate exposed threads concern, why not pop a case into the chamber to use as a rough headspace gauge?

tobnpr
03-06-2020, 01:52 PM
Good question. Again I don't have headspace gauges YET to get a final measurement. But on an empty chamber and just screwed in finger tight, I measured .115" of threads showing. I guess it's just a cosmetic issue as I had the barrel cerakoted black and those stainless threads stick out like a sore thumb. But I ordered a long shank and my barrel nuts are the same from factory/aftermarket. I can upload a picture if that will help.

Thanks

Not clear on how far into the receiver you screwed the barrel??
If you screwed it in until it contacted the rim of the bolthead, you're in .125-.130 too far.

If that's what you did, it accounts for what you're seeing (and those exposed threads will disappear once you back out the barrel when headspacing)

Robinhood
03-06-2020, 02:33 PM
Not clear on how far into the receiver you screwed the barrel??
If you screwed it in until it contacted the rim of the bolthead, you're in .125-.130 too far.

If that's what you did, it accounts for what you're seeing (and those exposed threads will disappear once you back out the barrel when headspacing)

The barrel is usually about .010" off the rim of the bolt head. So if you close the bolt(with the bolt head you are going to use), screw the barrel with the nut and the recoil lug into the receiver until it makes contact with the bolt head you are within .010" plus or minus where the barrel will end up at correct headspace. Once you run the nut down to contact with the recoil lug, you will have a good indication of how many threads will be exposed if any.

mudpig
03-06-2020, 03:22 PM
A thicker recoil lug would take up much of the extra thread if neccessary.

sharpshooter
03-06-2020, 04:28 PM
I've seen this before.......it's about McGowan not knowing enough about thread lengths. The fact is, you have a large shank barrel that was threaded for a standard short action caliber, but your action uses the "heavy magnum" bolt head, which has 1/8" longer lugs. That sets the barrel 1/8" farther ahead, thus exposing some threads.

GrenGuy
03-06-2020, 05:08 PM
Do You have the recoil lug installed :rolleyes:

tobnpr
03-06-2020, 05:21 PM
The barrel is usually about .010" off the rim of the bolt head. So if you close the bolt(with the bolt head you are going to use), screw the barrel with the nut and the recoil lug into the receiver until it makes contact with the bolt head you are within .010" plus or minus where the barrel will end up at correct headspace. Once you run the nut down to contact with the recoil lug, you will have a good indication of how many threads will be exposed if any.

Thanks. Misspoke, I was thinking boltface and not rim...

Robinhood
03-06-2020, 08:55 PM
Thanks. Misspoke, I was thinking boltface and not rim...

I knew what you meant. It happens to me all of the time.

Pcc1421
03-07-2020, 12:58 AM
I think sharpshooter may have hit the nail on the head. The recoil lug is installed and I believe a thicker recoil lug would cover up the threads showing, I just wondered if there would be a safety issue. I put an empty case in the chamber to get a faux headspace reading. There are about 3 full threads showing or about .125". I appreciate all the responses. I understand that it's basically a cosmetic issue but I just wished the overall look was "cleaner". Thanks again guys

Robinhood
03-07-2020, 08:37 AM
I think sharpshooter may have hit the nail on the head.

This is not uncommon.

sharpshooter
03-07-2020, 02:07 PM
This is nothing more than a cosmetic issue. One of the solutions we come up with was a wrap of foil tape about 1/4" wide to conceal the threads.

Pcc1421
03-07-2020, 08:21 PM
That's all I needed to hear. A thicker recoil lug will probably do the trick. I just needed to make sure that it wasn't dangerous or faulty. Thanks to everyone.

Orezona
03-07-2020, 09:13 PM
This is nothing more than a cosmetic issue. One of the solutions we come up with was a wrap of foil tape about 1/4" wide to conceal the threads.

How does that look? Do yo mind posting a picture?

sharpshooter
03-08-2020, 05:16 PM
It looks better than threads exposed......the aluminum foil tape kinda blends in with a stainless barrel. Sorry, no pics.

foxx
03-08-2020, 09:39 PM
Get a longer barrel nut that covers the exposed threads. X-Caliber makes them

Pcc1421
03-09-2020, 12:28 AM
Honestly, I can live with a few threads. The barrel is cerakoted black and I will simply paint the threads back if I decide against a thicker aftermarket recoil lug. It sits in a chassis anyway, and only the top part of the threads are showing, I just wanted to know if this was a common issue and if it was SAFE to shoot after I headspace it and tighten down the barrel nut.