PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12FV "build"

Pages : [1] 2

bdspen
02-02-2020, 11:42 PM
Hi, I'm looking to buy a savage 12FV in .223 and I had a few questions because I will inevitably be making some modifications to it.
I will probably put a Athlon Argos scope on right away.
A couple things I'm thinking about are:

Adding a detachable magazine
adding a boyd's stock
conversion to 223AI in the future

Does anyone know if a detachable magazine is possible with the rifle, and if there is a boyd's stock to accommodate it? Any suggestions on other stock manufacturers? I'm looking for a classic wood or laminate look.
As for converting to 223AI, I assume this would require getting a new barrel with a tighter twist, but can you still shoot .223rem out of it?

Thanks!

celltech
02-03-2020, 07:57 AM
All of my 12FV are detachable mags now. You can do it with a Boyds but you need to obtain bottom metal to go along with it. And you have to make sure the inletting is correct, etc. Not sure what your goals are but a chassis (like Oryx) can be an easier way to go.

You can shoot .223 Rem in the .223AI and the brass will fire formed for reloading. I assume you will be handloading as I don't think there are any commercial rounds out there? A tighter twist is only necessary if you want to shoot the really heavy bullets, like 75gr and higher.

bdspen
02-03-2020, 12:00 PM
All of my 12FV are detachable mags now. You can do it with a Boyds but you need to obtain bottom metal to go along with it. And you have to make sure the inletting is correct, etc. Not sure what your goals are but a chassis (like Oryx) can be an easier way to go.

The orxy looks really nice, but I'm really looking for a classic rifle look. What I've been looking at is the boyd's classic or similar with adjustable cheek rest. If I got a detachable mag and bottom metal, would the stock be the "savage 10 top bolt release, short action detachable magazine, bull barrel option"?

For bottom metal, I'll be searching for "savage 223 bottom metal short action" correct?

As for inletting, what is the process? I have some hand tools, I can also bring to a gunsmith.

Good to hear about the 223AI. I would be hand loading that in the future. I'll think about all of that much later most likely once I'm comfortable with the initial set-up.

Thank for your reply.

CFJunkie
02-03-2020, 12:01 PM
I went the 'easy way' with the stock replacement on my 12 FV and got an Oryx with the AICS bottom metal.
The MDT mag I bought allows an O.A.L. of 2.500 so loading out to get close to the lands is no problem.
If you get a faster twist barrel and want to shoot 80 grain bullets, the 2.500 O.A.L. will be a benefit.
The 12 FV .223 comes with a 1:9 twist but it shoots 77 grain Sierra bullets, both the SMKs and TMKs, just as accurately, if not slightly more accurately than the 69 Sierra SMKs and TMKs.
My range buddy also has a 12 FV .223 and it shoots 77 grain bullets accurately also.

quigley257
02-03-2020, 12:42 PM
I run an H-S Precision PST114 on my 223. It accepts the standard Savage bottom metal and magazines which I purchased direct from Savage. I can post pics tonight if interested.

bdspen
02-03-2020, 01:13 PM
I run an H-S Precision PST114 on my 223. It accepts the standard Savage bottom metal and magazines which I purchased direct from Savage. I can post pics tonight if interested.

Sure, I'd love to see it.

Axlrod
02-03-2020, 01:58 PM
If you are good with the twist you have you can have the original barrel rechambered to 223 AI.

6mmBR_Shooter
02-03-2020, 03:10 PM
The factory 1:9 twist should be fine for a 223AI with a wide range of bullets.

Snag a used Boyds stock for $100, add a $125 detachable AICS mag system, and you're good to go.

You can shoot 223 out of a 223AI. The brass may not fully fireform though.

bdspen
02-03-2020, 04:31 PM
The factory 1:9 twist should be fine for a 223AI with a wide range of bullets.

Snag a used Boyds stock for $100, add a $125 detachable AICS mag system, and you're good to go.

You can shoot 223 out of a 223AI. The brass may not fully fireform though.

That would all be perfect. Would you happen to know which model of boyd's stock it is? I was thinking the closest match would be "savage 10, top bolt release, short action detachable magazine, bull barrel option"

Also, the brass is still reloadable even if it doesn't fully fireform though right?

Any suggestions on where to find used parts? I looked in the classifieds, not much for stocks right now.

quigley257
02-03-2020, 11:06 PM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yjCEGr8NJ67VWj8m6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AaseQWFMQ6rT8k2x7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FT5UChNX4w4Urb2w8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/voHrk8zTSvh3YBYC6

6mmBR_Shooter
02-03-2020, 11:16 PM
Yes, you'll need the 4.40" action screw spacing short action. Your action is a top bolt release, but it'd not difficult to file out the area to get clearance for the bolt release if you purchase a bottom bolt release model. In addition, many of us here have used the sandpaper and socket method to open up barrel channels if you don't find one with the heavy barrel channel.

I don't see any used Boyds on ebay right now, but they do list some of their specials here: https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/rapid-fire/page/12?sortBy=NameAsc

With no idea how handy you are, it might be better to pay someone to inlet your stock for the AICS bottom metal when you get it.

For reloading 223AI brass, if your shoulder isn't fully formed by firing regular 223 (non-fireforming loads) in the chamber, then running the brass through the sizing die isn't going to blow the shoulder out where it should be. Generally for fireforming, many use the method of jamming the bullets into the lands to increase pressure and expand the case fully. I don't know if you'd have issues with 223 brass not fully fireformed in an AI chamber, then trying to reload them. Not something I would personally do. Maybe just shot the rifle as a 223 until you decide to punch it out to AI. You'd then have plenty of brass you could fireform the right way and not have to worry about a partially formed case.

quigley257
02-03-2020, 11:49 PM
Curious why I can't see the pictures that I posted. Has something changed with posting pics?

bdspen
02-04-2020, 01:12 AM
6mmBR_Shooter, thanks for the good info. Now I know which stock configuration to get. I'll probably get an unfinished stock so If there needs to be any reshaping/inletting It can be done, and I'll finish it myself.

As for the 223AI I'll for sure be using it as 223 for a long while and saving up the brass.

kabong57
02-04-2020, 01:35 AM
Another stock option would be a Savage 110 Tactical stock in the classifieds (I have no connection). It is an AccuStock, with AccuFit with bottom metal and a AICS mag for .308/6.5CM. Should be able to sell the mag and use the New MagPul 5.56AC AICS 10 rd mag.

ice tea
02-04-2020, 12:46 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing it either if your able to get the pics up. Also,do you know, if the PST114, the exact same thing that comes factory, on the #18139 and #19137 ? Reason, asking, is we have a 12 VLP, that we dont like the grip or backstrap part (or whatever it's called), and thinking about going to what is on those two rifle part numbers

jkv45
02-04-2020, 01:27 PM
Seems like quigley257 may be having issues posting photos, so this is a HS Precision stock (I don't recall seeing a model number or additional name) on a Model 10. I would think the model 12 would be the same or at least pretty similar -

https://i.imgur.com/fX7JFAn.jpg

I added the adjustable cheek riser and repainted it.

bdspen
02-04-2020, 05:29 PM
Have you guys seen some of the videos on the youtube channel: The Social Regressive (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQBvqyjpeh6ju1W3uwQIj3A)? It seems like he has some great videos on these subjects. There are about 15 videos of him putting together a 12fv with boyds stock and magazine. "Savage 12FV 1 Mile Rifle"

ice tea
02-04-2020, 08:22 PM
thanks, jkv45, for posting the pic. It looks like whats on the two rifles I mentioned, from what I can tell/see.

Flyin6
02-05-2020, 12:09 AM
Here is my 12FV. Its wearing Boyds Pro Varmint stock-that I sponge camo'ed, it's also pillar and glass bedded with PT&G Stealth bottom metal. Had the barrel shortened and is now 22" and threaded 5/8x24 for my can. It shoots 55gr VMax like a dream.

bdspen
02-05-2020, 12:47 AM
Here is my 12FV. Its wearing Boyds Pro Varmint stock-that I sponge camo'ed, it's also pillar and glass bedded with PT&G Stealth bottom metal. Had the barrel shortened and is now 22" and threaded 5/8x24 for my can. It shoots 55gr VMax like a dream.

That's awesome. Any tips on glass bedding? Did you get the pillar bedding installed in the stock from boyds or did you do it? Any writeups that you know of, It's something I'm interested in doing.

Also, is it advisable to pillar bed when you are glass bedding the stock, or is just glass bedding enough?