PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12FV "build"

Pages : 1 [2]

Texas10
02-05-2020, 10:56 AM
Or you could just go here and get everything you need.https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Laminated-Thumbhole-Stock-for-Detachable-Mag-Rifles_p_13974.html

I put the internal mag version under my sons 12FV, .223 and it shot bughole groups right out of the gate. The also sell many other stocks and parts. If nothing else, you'll be better informed about what options you have just by searching the website.

bdspen
02-05-2020, 11:19 AM
Or you could just go here and get everything you need.https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Laminated-Thumbhole-Stock-for-Detachable-Mag-Rifles_p_13974.html

I put the internal mag version under my sons 12FV, .223 and it shot bughole groups right out of the gate. The also sell many other stocks and parts. If nothing else, you'll be better informed about what options you have just by searching the website.

Exactly what I need! This is the route I'll probably go. Do you have any pictures of the completed rifle? Which magazine/bottom metal did you use?

Flyin6
02-05-2020, 10:06 PM
That's awesome. Any tips on glass bedding? Did you get the pillar bedding installed in the stock from boyds or did you do it? Any writeups that you know of, It's something I'm interested in doing.

Also, is it advisable to pillar bed when you are glass bedding the stock, or is just glass bedding enough?

I did the pillars, but if Boyds offers it now have them do it...it's tedious. On GB-I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and got me a MarineTex kit and went for it-use plenty of release agent..

bdspen
02-06-2020, 11:40 PM
I'm actually now considering getting a savage 25 lightweight varmint rifle. Does anyone have experience with these, especially compared to the 12fv?

My logic is this:
12FV = ~325 including tax after rebate + stock = $200 + bottom metal for detachable magazines = ~$100 = $600+ for this setup plus I have to drive 4 hour round trip twice to get to bass pro for the sale:o

Versus

Buy a new 25 lightweight varmint for about $575 and not have to put much time in to tinker with it.

My main worries of the 12fv is that it is too long and heavy. Although mostly my goal for the rifle is to be a target shooter, out to as far as I can hit stuff with.

Do y'all think it's better just to build my own from the 12fv base or just buy something ready to go?

Honestly I think it would be cool to build something from the action exactly how I want but I'v been looking for just an action and I might as well buy a whole rifle for the price the actions for sale are.

celltech
02-07-2020, 08:20 AM
Look at the action on the Model 25...it's based on their rimfire design and is dainty compared to a 10/12 receiver. It also does not use the barrel nut so you won't easily be changing the chamber.

If you are wanting a target shooting bench queen then the 12FVs weight is a pro.

I am not convinced you really know your goals. The 12FV is a great base for future growth and modifications. You could also get a cheap Axis (which has a detachable mag) and put a better stock on it.

Texas10
02-07-2020, 09:00 AM
Exactly what I need! This is the route I'll probably go. Do you have any pictures of the completed rifle? Which magazine/bottom metal did you use?

I went with the internal magazine model as it's mostly for shooting off the bench. He did take it into the field a few times, took a good sized pig with a 69 gr SMK shot to the lungs. Bullet made a mess out of the shoulder muscle, broke a rib and blew a big hole in the chest. He didn't go far, just far enough to make it to the BBQ!

It's a good looking rig, just a bit heavy to field carry without a comfortable sling.

bdspen
02-07-2020, 12:32 PM
Look at the action on the Model 25...it's based on their rimfire design and is dainty compared to a 10/12 receiver. It also does not use the barrel nut so you won't easily be changing the chamber.

Thanks, I didn't realize it was a different action, and about the chamber. That's definitely a no then.

bdspen
02-07-2020, 03:30 PM
any thoughts on the Savage model 11 V/T? New for $350 without tax
24" heavy barrel
detachable mag

I would upgrade the stock right away, but it comes with a 4-12x Bushnell scope, so I will probably use that for a bit until I decide to upgrade.
Seems like a good value and I would be able to get it shipped to my FFL unlike the 12fv.

celltech
02-07-2020, 04:06 PM
Is that the Dick's special? Only differences/negatives I can think of are the smooth barrel nut and bottom bolt release...but other than that go for it...

bdspen
02-07-2020, 04:23 PM
Sweet, I'm going to go for it. thanks for all your help.

ice tea
02-07-2020, 04:37 PM
My logic is this:
12FV = ~325 including tax after rebate.

question maybe you can help me w/. Its my understanding its a $75 dollar rebate. Am i right? Also, is it a check or what? can it be converted to cash, is what i'm getting at? or is it a gift card/coupon of some sort? thanks

bdspen
02-07-2020, 06:47 PM
question maybe you can help me w/. Its my understanding its a $75 dollar rebate. Am i right? Also, is it a check or what? can it be converted to cash, is what i'm getting at? or is it a gift card/coupon of some sort? thanks

savage is doing a rebate on model 12's https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=promos I'm not sure how they issue it, sorry, It doesn't even say in the terms.

CFJunkie
02-08-2020, 07:35 AM
Savage sent me a cash card on my last rebate. It spends like cash.

zsjohnson16
02-08-2020, 10:48 PM
Man am I glad I came across this post. I just bought a 22-250 12fv today. Going to send in rebate now.

zsjohnson16
02-08-2020, 10:49 PM
Also, I’m in the same boat. I want the cheapest option to get a detachable magazine in a regular stock as it will be mostly for predator hunting.

GaCop
02-09-2020, 08:05 AM
I went with the internal magazine model as it's mostly for shooting off the bench. He did take it into the field a few times, took a good sized pig with a 69 gr SMK shot to the lungs. Bullet made a mess out of the shoulder muscle, broke a rib and blew a big hole in the chest. He didn't go far, just far enough to make it to the BBQ!

It's a good looking rig, just a bit heavy to field carry without a comfortable sling.:tea::thumb::becky:

bdspen
02-10-2020, 12:47 AM
Also, I’m in the same boat. I want the cheapest option to get a detachable magazine in a regular stock as it will be mostly for predator hunting.

I may be way off here as far as what fits what, but when I get my 11v/t I'm going to switch out the factory detachable mags for an aics bottom metal and magazine.

Maybe the parts I take off will fit your rifle? I'd let you have it for cheap.

zsjohnson16
02-10-2020, 03:42 PM
I may be way off here as far as what fits what, but when I get my 11v/t I'm going to switch out the factory detachable mags for an aics bottom metal and magazine.

Maybe the parts I take off will fit your rifle? I'd let you have it for cheap.
Could be a fit, but not sure. When you do measure and make sure its at 4.4" spacing and might just work with some dremeling.

bdspen
02-10-2020, 03:51 PM
Alright, I'll let ya know.