PDA

View Full Version : 11f 300 barrel swap?

Pages : [1] 2

caleb90
11-22-2019, 08:59 PM
hello all! new to the forum but not new to savage rifles. the rifle im posting about is my 11f chambered in 300wsm, was a gift from my mother back in 2005. has been a great rifle and has been my go to gun since ive had it, made me put my model 99 308 to the side.but any ways since new, when cleaning id always just run wet patches and dry patches till clean and thought the bore was good to go. all i ever used was hoppes #9 bench rest, well this year i finally decided to try a new product boretech eliminator and what i was getting out of my barrel was beyond belief. kept cleaning per instructions still bore was spotless and thats when i found an issue. found some pitting in the rifling at the muzzle. this rifle has always been a tack driver 3 shot half inch groups at 100 yards with factory winchester ammo. before i cleaned the gun this past week i did a 3 shot group at 150 yard over the hood of a tractor and had a 3/4in group from a crappy rest. im assuming the pitting has been there from some time and untill i had the barrel truly clean i had no idea it was there. now that i know its there its really bugging me. called savage a new barrel from them is 175 plus 75-100 for them to install plus the shipping. or i could get an after market drop in for 300-350 and do it my self. after market or factory savage? i could also just be over thinking this whole thing and might just leave the rifle alone if its shooting good. what are your guy's and gals thoughts? sorry for the long winded post

Ted_Feasel
11-22-2019, 09:22 PM
hello all! new to the forum but not new to savage rifles. the rifle im posting about is my 11f chambered in 300wsm, was a gift from my mother back in 2005. has been a great rifle and has been my go to gun since ive had it, made me put my model 99 308 to the side.but any ways since new, when cleaning id always just run wet patches and dry patches till clean and thought the bore was good to go. all i ever used was hoppes #9 bench rest, well this year i finally decided to try a new product boretech eliminator and what i was getting out of my barrel was beyond belief. kept cleaning per instructions still bore was spotless and thats when i found an issue. found some pitting in the rifling at the muzzle. this rifle has always been a tack driver 3 shot half inch groups at 100 yards with factory winchester ammo. before i cleaned the gun this past week i did a 3 shot group at 150 yard over the hood of a tractor and had a 3/4in group from a crappy rest. im assuming the pitting has been there from some time and untill i had the barrel truly clean i had no idea it was there. now that i know its there its really bugging me. called savage a new barrel from them is 175 plus 75-100 for them to install plus the shipping. or i could get an after market drop in for 300-350 and do it my self. after market or factory savage? i could also just be over thinking this whole thing and might just leave the rifle alone if its shooting good. what are your guy's and gals thoughts? sorry for the long winded postIf it is shooting good go ahead and wear it out, shilen and criterion both have drop ins that will be surgical in accuracy and savage bolt rifles are the easiest to change and headspace.. tools recommended, barrel vice block, action wrench, barrel nut wrench,torque wrench and go/no go gauge set.. I like clymer

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mnbogboy2
11-22-2019, 10:42 PM
One of my many Savage barrels is/was a brand new "take off" (10-fp-sr)
that I purchased on one of the forums. It has several real bad pitted areas that show up in the bore cam. These pitted areas also have button rifle tooling marks right through them. These areas are gradually "smoothing" out and the barrel is a decent shooter.
As long as yours shoots good then like the others say don't worry about it.

charlie b
11-22-2019, 11:05 PM
Shoot it!!

It is really kind of amazing how bad a barrel can be and still be accurate.

caleb90
11-23-2019, 06:58 AM
the rifle has id say 300-200 rounds though it. most of that is from i first got it and was testing different loads. I only use it for deer hunting, gets shot once to verify scope is on and then i take a deer or two with it. clean it and put away till next year. still on the same box of ammo for the past 7 years.

Ted_Feasel
11-23-2019, 07:06 AM
the rifle has id say 300-200 rounds though it. most of that is from i first got it and was testing different loads. I only use it for deer hunting, gets shot once to verify scope is on and then i take a deer or two with it. clean it and put away till next year. still on the same box of ammo for the past 7 years.Probably had moisture or something get in the barrel.. if its shooting that good and your only hunting with it.. keep on shooting it and wear it out, monitor those pits to make sure they dont start cracking.

caleb90
11-23-2019, 10:04 AM
will post a pic when i am able to

Robinhood
11-23-2019, 02:49 PM
Accuracy is a desirable thing in a rifle. If it is accurate, why mess with it? Like red and green. If she doesn't find you handsome she should at least find you handy.

Ted_Feasel
11-23-2019, 03:36 PM
Accuracy is a desirable thing in a rifle. If it is accurate, why mess with it? Like red and green. If she doesn't find you handsome she should at least find you handy.I used to watch that show all the time lol

caleb90
11-23-2019, 04:24 PM
Accuracy is a desirable thing in a rifle. If it is accurate, why mess with it? Like red and green. If she doesn't find you handsome she should at least find you handy.
this is true!

mnbogboy2
11-23-2019, 07:28 PM
I threw a couple wraps of duct tape around my pitted barrel to prevent it from getting worse...lol

caleb90
11-27-2019, 09:02 PM
a few years back i started storing my rifles muzzle down to prevent excess oil from running into the action. typical safe with foam and carpet bottom over sheet rock. i have two evadry dehumidifiers in there, and i have never had an issue with rust. but still wonder if this could be the source of the problem..

tobnpr
11-30-2019, 12:53 PM
My number one rule...
If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

Ted_Feasel
11-30-2019, 12:56 PM
I have airtight cases I keep my rifles in, those oxysorbs and moisture absorbs packets go in the case with them.. I still wipe them down and run a oiled patch down when stored for a while

caleb90
12-01-2019, 07:32 AM
My number one rule...
If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

i agree 100% but. this is farfetched with alot of what ifs. i will never get rid of this rifle, my main conceren is that 20-30 years from now that its still a shooter. basicly i kinda want to nip it in the butt now even though it might not need it now, as we dont know what the world will be like 20-30years from now let alone 10years at the rate were headed.

GrenGuy
12-01-2019, 08:03 AM
That’s right. Life is uncertain. So have desert first :rolleyes: But in this case, we’re talking Savage. You can change it to what You want now, and change it back to what it is later, or whatever.

yobuck
12-01-2019, 09:09 AM
So the consensus is to just shoot the damned thing after wrapping the barrel with duct tape. Lol

caleb90
12-01-2019, 10:32 AM
So the consensus is to just shoot the damned thing after wrapping the barrel with duct tape. Lol

not sure how i could wrap duct tape in the bore,plus it might only last one shot

caleb90
12-01-2019, 10:39 AM

not sure how i could wrap duct tape in the bore,plus it might only last one shot

mnbogboy2
12-01-2019, 02:15 PM

Red Green could make it work and have a "blast" doing it...lol