PDA

View Full Version : 11f 300 barrel swap?

Pages : 1 [2]

wbm
12-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Even though it is cosmetic since the rifle is still accurate little things like that can bug you. It would me also. You could always amputate the offending part and recrown but why bother?

My number one rule...
If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

Yep. And number two rule is see rule one right?

caleb90
12-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Even though it is cosmetic since the rifle is still accurate little things like that can bug you. It would me also. You could always amputate the offending part and recrown but why bother?

Yep. And number two rule is see rule one right?

too make it right!

caleb90
12-02-2019, 08:01 PM
so back to my question.if i have this done, should i have savage re barrel it and match up the blueing and open sights? or buy after market that wont match up blueing wise nor have the opensights it came with

tobnpr
12-02-2019, 09:19 PM
so back to my question.if i have this done, should i have savage re barrel it and match up the blueing and open sights? or buy after market that wont match up blueing wise nor have the opensights it came with

The open sights are easily done by a smith if you need them. Installed, you'd be looking at around $150 for a new set of Williams fiber optic ones.
Bluing will require it be sent to one of the few shops still doing it, not commonly done anymore as there are better options.
No reason to send to Savage to re-barrel. I have no idea what they'd charge, but I'm confident it would be more than you'd spend getting a higher quality aftermarket barrel, more time, and a lower quality barrel to boot. Not knocking Savage's barrels (most of 'em, anyway)...they shoot OK despite being downright scary with a borescope.

Plenty of prefits available, and an hour at a local riflesmith (and probably $75 or so) will get the old one spun off, and the new one on- and he could install the sights and send off for bluing. If you're inclined to possibly do this with other rifles, small investment in a barrel vise, action wrench and a go gauge makes for simple DIY.

hamiltonkiler
12-02-2019, 09:50 PM
I’m not sure how I feel about matching stuff. I would run a big stainless colored barrel. Savage is good but not as cool as a local smiths work. I like spray paint too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caleb90
12-03-2019, 08:08 PM
The open sights are easily done by a smith if you need them. Installed, you'd be looking at around $150 for a new set of Williams fiber optic ones.
Bluing will require it be sent to one of the few shops still doing it, not commonly done anymore as there are better options.
No reason to send to Savage to re-barrel. I have no idea what they'd charge, but I'm confident it would be more than you'd spend getting a higher quality aftermarket barrel, more time, and a lower quality barrel to boot. Not knocking Savage's barrels (most of 'em, anyway)...they shoot OK despite being downright scary with a borescope.

Plenty of prefits available, and an hour at a local riflesmith (and probably $75 or so) will get the old one spun off, and the new one on- and he could install the sights and send off for bluing. If you're inclined to possibly do this with other rifles, small investment in a barrel vise, action wrench and a go gauge makes for simple DIY.

Not good! i have a local guy who re blues but he part near messed up my model 99 308 when i had it done, didnt get the salt bath out of every thing and the barrel started rusting where it threads into the reciever. im old school and love a blued gun in some walnut, even if there are better options out there. i dont use the open sights,but the gun came with them. to me a fire arm is like a classic car, restore them to the way they were. so that being said the main reason id have savage do it, is for a factory fit and finish. yes i can do it my self, as ive built a few ar15s but to me thats a different class of weapon. id like to have it as close to what it was when new as it is a sentimental gun. as i said i dont shoot it much. max three times at a target then i take first deer of the season with it clean it and put it away and get some thing else out.