PDA

View Full Version : Barrel swap 110fcp 338 lapua to 300 wsm

Pages : [1] 2

theodoreh
10-28-2019, 10:06 AM
Looking at possible barrel swap on 110fcp 338 lapua to 300wsm.

Will lapua boltface work with 300 wsm brass for ejecting?

Not worried about feeding wsm (coal 3.2371) from lapua magazine. 300 win mag coal is 3.791, too long and skinny for lapua magazine.

Thanks.

sharpshooter
10-28-2019, 12:08 PM
No......the WSM needs a .532" bolt face.

theodoreh
10-28-2019, 03:25 PM
Ok. Thanks for quick response.

theodoreh
06-20-2021, 03:58 PM
No......the WSM needs a .532" bolt face.

Where could I could buy a bolt head .56” by .532”?

I am changing a 338 lapua lrh to a 300 wsm. Was gonna shoot it today but upon opening midway package, the savage magnum 110ba bolt head measures .5” by .532”.

Thanks.

Dave Hoback
06-20-2021, 05:33 PM
Why not SELL the Lapua and start with an inexpensive 110 Long action & your barrel of choice? You’d have a rifle and likely some leftover money.

Or just keep it as a Lapua, maybe? I’ve never heard of someone trading like a 300WinMag for say, a 257 Roberts.., which is a basic correlation.

theodoreh
06-21-2021, 12:49 AM
Hi Dave,

Which inexpensive 110 long action has .56” lug? I want a dbm long action 300wsm, the 338 lapua 5rd mag needs minor tweaking to eliminate nose dive and it will work fine for me.

Can any of those inexpensive 110 long action handle 338 lapua pressures?

Still looking for a wsm bolt head with .56” lug for my new 338 lapua lrh, any one know?

Thanks.

Robinhood
06-21-2021, 01:12 AM
Pacific Tool and Gauge. They will make a custom one. This is a link tothe page you need to go to.
https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/1291-precision-machined-savage-bolt-heads.html#/139-choose_bolt_face-mag_bolt_face/145-ejection_port-right/1597-add_bolt_alignment_cut-no/1408-choose_lug_length-550/1383-choose_shank_length-la_1125

Being that that action and bolt are designed to shoot the 338 lapua, why not buy one you like in the cartridge you want( or at least with the right bolthead) and sell the 338 like Dave said.

I have done a lot of parts swapping and the like...A lot. Made a lot of expensive rifles out of savages. Looking back, nope. I would do a custom action before I tripped all over recreating another savage. Work or replace the trigger, bed the stock, put a nice barrel on it but swapping different length bolt heads or having to deal with firing pin dimensions and all that took way to much effort when I could have been working on load development and polishing my skills.

theodoreh
06-21-2021, 02:19 AM
Hi Robinhood,

Thanks for the pt&g website. I might abandon this project and just use this 338 lapua for back country deer and elk hunting.

Wanted to sell my non braked 16 short action 300 wsm. The 215 berger loaded to +3.2”, bolt has to be taken out of action to get loaded round out.

Robinhood
06-21-2021, 10:56 AM
Hi Robinhood,

Thanks for the pt&g website. I might abandon this project and just use this 338 lapua for back country deer and elk hunting.

Wanted to sell my non braked 16 short action 300 wsm. The 215 berger loaded to +3.2”, bolt has to be taken out of action to get loaded round out.

At that length you are single loading anyway so you do need a long action. I don't know your financial situation nor do I know your budget. It does appear that you like to shoot long range and hitting your target fist time every time would be important to a guy like that. I also know/feel that you fall somewhere between getting buy with what you got, upgrading when you need to, saving money where you can and the guy that spends half of his paycheck or more on his hobbies because he can and that makes him happy.

If that is the case, start looking for a long action stainless action or rifle, be patient( there are several forums that have a large free classified sections to put up a want add or to search for your rifle/action. If your barrel is sufficient keep it, if not get at least and Xcaliber or CBI, you already have the custom throat in your barrel though.. Find a decent long action stock or chassis. Sell what you have left.

You would be surprised how fast it will come together if you look in the right places.

yobuck
06-21-2021, 12:14 PM
Question?
Where is the stress point on the action?
Not talking about the bolt, but the action?
How much space is there between the bolt face when fully open, and the back of the port on the action?
How much more is needed to extract at least the empty case?
One of my guns is a 40x Rem single shot action.
A 40x Rem is a short action,308 length.
Mine is chambered for a 300 Wby case, and i can load a loaded round and extract an empty round without pulling the bolt.
But i couldnt do that as the gun left the factory.
I also used a custom Hart action also 308 length, for a 378 Wby case by doing the same thing.

Dave Hoback
06-21-2021, 12:52 PM
Many people have built standard small shank Savage long/short actions. I’m kinda confused with what you’re saying? Are you thinking of going back & forth between Lapua & WSM? Because that NEVER works. If you want a 300WSM, but want to keep the Lapua, your best(and least expensive) option is a used small shank action as Robin mentioned, a PTG magnum bolt head.

I apologize if I’m hearing you wrong. Just that your words sound like you want to be able to swap back & forth. And that just never works out in the long run.

efm77
06-21-2021, 03:58 PM
Easiest thing to do if you want to keep the Lapua action and change it to a WSM is to buy a complete long action magnum bolt assembly and swap the entire bolt instead of trying to fit another bolt head to it because you'll likely have to adjust firing pin protrusion if you go that route.

Beowoulf2000
06-22-2021, 05:36 PM
Easiest thing to do if you want to keep the Lapua action and change it to a WSM is to buy a complete long action magnum bolt assembly and swap the entire bolt instead of trying to fit another bolt head to it because you'll likely have to adjust firing pin protrusion if you go that route.

Couldn’t the OP just use his Model 16 300WSM bolt assembly and barrel with the 338LM receiver? I thought the only difference between the LA and SA bolt assemblies as far as interchangeability with Savage 110 receivers is concerned is the front bolt baffle being longer or shorter to shorten or lengthen the bolt throw. As long as the original WSM is not the older CRF he should be good to go. Unless I’m wrong. Then nevermind.

GrenGuy
06-22-2021, 08:24 PM
If I owned a Model 16 300WSM action, You would have to pry it out of My cold dead hands. It doesn’t bother Me in the least to remove an un fired round out the back of the action. BTJM ;)

want2ride
06-22-2021, 08:42 PM
If I owned a Model 16 300WSM action, You would have to pry it out of My cold dead hands. It doesn’t bother Me in the least to remove an un fired round out the back of the action. BTJM ;)

I have 300 wsm's in a Bear hunter, and an Ultralite and had a model 11 that i sold to my nephew. all 3 are just incredibly accurate, and i will never be without one.... or two.

want2ride
06-22-2021, 08:45 PM
Couldn’t the OP just use his Model 16 300WSM bolt assembly and barrel with the 338LM receiver? I thought the only difference between the LA and SA bolt assemblies as far as interchangeability with Savage 110 receivers is concerned is the front bolt baffle being longer or shorter to shorten or lengthen the bolt throw. As long as the original WSM is not the older CRF he should be good to go. Unless I’m wrong. Then nevermind. you are probably thinking about the axis models where a stopper in the trigger guard and the baffle make a long or short action all in the same length action. The 110's have different bolt lengths (and actions) for short and long actions.

Beowoulf2000
06-22-2021, 09:13 PM
Lol. Thanks for the diplomatic correction but I was just wrong. I was doing paper exercises a while back on what I could do with my own 16 300WSM and found this on the Numrich website
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/128634 (https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1286340)
I either misread the description or there’s more to it than what’s written. Oh, well. Thought I found the easy button:)

Robinhood
06-22-2021, 10:28 PM
you are probably thinking about the axis models where a stopper in the trigger guard and the baffle make a long or short action all in the same length action. The 110's have different bolt lengths (and actions) for short and long actions.

Among several other variables

efm77
06-23-2021, 09:47 AM
Couldn’t the OP just use his Model 16 300WSM bolt assembly and barrel with the 338LM receiver? I thought the only difference between the LA and SA bolt assemblies as far as interchangeability with Savage 110 receivers is concerned is the front bolt baffle being longer or shorter to shorten or lengthen the bolt throw. As long as the original WSM is not the older CRF he should be good to go. Unless I’m wrong. Then nevermind.

In short, no he couldn't. The model 16 is a short action and the bolt body length is shorter than the Lapua action.

theodoreh
07-05-2021, 02:01 PM
Many people have built standard small shank Savage long/short actions. I’m kinda confused with what you’re saying? Are you thinking of going back & forth between Lapua & WSM? Because that NEVER works. If you want a 300WSM, but want to keep the Lapua, your best(and least expensive) option is a used small shank action as Robin mentioned, a PTG magnum bolt head.

I apologize if I’m hearing you wrong. Just that your words sound like you want to be able to swap back & forth. And that just never works out in the long run.

So the ptg bolt head length is 1/2”? Im concerned about not using standard 9/16” length for savage wsm.

Will be switching back and forth on 300 wsm barrel, not 338 lapua. Other option would be build a long action off of tikka, they have custom magazines that hold shoulder back, preventing bullet tip getting bounced from recoil. Open to other actions. It is a challenge to find magazines/action long enough to keep heavy lead free bullets out of the neck/shoulder junction.