PDA

View Full Version : 116 build to 22-250 need a little help

Pages : [1] 2

kwarw1
09-29-2019, 08:42 AM
Ok I got a 116 in 30-06 for a donor action. My goal is to make this a barrel swap gun for 22-250 and 25-06 thats why I chose the long action.

So I took the 26" 22-259 barrel off of BELOVED 112 single shot action and put on this one with the intention of selling that later on. Fits fine looks good, now my problem.

I hogged out the cheap plastic stock to accommodate the bull barrel just to test things out, It takes the axis type mags, the only one I have is the one for the 30-06 and it's releasing early, tipping and several other tricks with a normal function every now and then LOL.

I see when I Google it that there is a Axis mag for 22-250 (#55321) the (06 # is 55233). Will this fit in the 116 stock?

Secondly I am not opposed to a different stock setup at all however it has the bottom bolt release accutrigger setup that I am not that fond of. What do you guys recommend.

Thanks in advance for your help

kwarw1
09-29-2019, 12:52 PM
Update: in my boredom and while waiting for a response I drove to town taking the 06 mag with me. I found one in 22-250 (not 22-259 LOL) that is for an AXIS it is too short to fit my bottom plastic metal. So kinda in limbo about my long term options for this project. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

kwarw1
09-29-2019, 12:55 PM
Kinda funny that this project has me talking to myself!!!!!

Shooter0302
09-29-2019, 10:07 PM
Since you don't post your location, it's kinda hard to offer which Bbl would benefit you the most from a DBM. ie, fast 2nd & 3rd shot.Ever consider setting it up W/O a DBM ?? That way you could set it up for the 06 as that would probably be for hunting, and get a single shot follower for your 22/250 shooting

kwarw1
09-29-2019, 10:09 PM
I'm gonna tell you something I feel disrespected!
Been a member for 2 years long time lurker. KY BOY here grew up going to NAM family trained to hit a squirrel in the head with a 22 at 40 yds.

My uncle James sat me down and taught me how to knock the pop tops off the barb wire when I was 4-5 going to NAM WAS my future

Ive made several post and nobody even says hello!

kwarw1
09-29-2019, 10:18 PM
thanks for your response shooter. but my question is. what stock mag setup do I need to make this work?

Robinhood
09-29-2019, 10:51 PM
KWARW1, Sorry for not answering sooner. You have a long action. I am assuming you have a Center Fed Magazine. You have a stock that holds long action magazines. The only thing that will work is the 30-06 mag with the lips possibly tweaked if it does not feed. many people have put short action cartridges in a long action and used the 30-06 magazine to feed from. There are no blocked and shortened CF magazines except for the 223 and 6BR magazines.

Try to utilize the magazine you have or purchase a short action that will utilize the Savage 22-250 magazines. I do not know of any other options.

Thanks for your service Brother.

charlie b
09-30-2019, 03:57 PM
FWIW if you want someone to welcome you to tbe forum then there is an "Introduce youself" thread in the General section of the forum. When you post in the specific topic sections you normally do not get a 'hello'. And it may take several days for the right person who can help with your issue to notice your post.

retired army tanker

kwarw1
09-30-2019, 06:55 PM
thanks Charlie B did that it 2017. by the way my x son in law is named Charlie a real jerk, Here is what I have discovered in my research of this project. All Savage used to be long action!
They used a follower in the mag, box type, stagger feed everyone hated them. Mag affixed to the action how I don't know at this point. BUT IT WORKED!!!!
That's the kinda of info I was needing to LEARN!!!
Had just one of the 78 folks that viewed my query known this and took a moment of their time to respond it would have helped me out.
I was a bit taken back by the amount of views vs the lack of responses as I have lurked here for a decade or more and know there is a wealth of information to be gained. I am an avid Savage fan and feel in love with my first one. I used to be a Remington guy.

Secondly let me clear something up that Might have misled folks. I was born in 1960 in KY. My uncles went to NAM (3) my brother born in 1956 got a draft card. TWO of my uncles both decorated came home in a coffin. The war ended but WE where well trained to represent had we had to go. My uncle James as I referred to in my previous post had the patience of JOBE! He put a 12 GA live round in a stump wasn't happy until I hit it 9 of 10!!! what a HOOT! Stay a week in the summer he squared me away REALLY WELL, Dad shows up he says " Paul watch this" 40 yards BOOM! "oh that's a fluke James winks "set it up again boy 3 in a row!!! The first time I ever had my DAD tell he was proud of me.

I realize this is self serving, however shooting straight is a learned discipline manners and etiquette are as well!
It doesn't take but a moment of one's time to say hello, wish you well,etc.
Fhanks

Robinhood
09-30-2019, 11:42 PM
Doing research on your own is always better than expecting people to do it for you.

charlie b
10-01-2019, 12:07 AM
A view by someone does not mean they have the knowledge to answer. And no, I am not going to comment when I view a topic and have nothing helpful to offer on the topic. I was simply trying to give you information on forum 'etiquette'.

Why do I even view a thread? To see if the information needed is something I can help with, or, if I can learn from someone else.

Your stories are typical of many of our lives.

olddav
10-01-2019, 08:04 AM
More times than not I look at a thread to learn something. I have a little basic knowledge as it pertains to my firearm, once the topic leaves that realm I can only offer opinions. Now I had looked at your post but had no useful info to convey so I refrained from commenting. Oh yea and I’m not all that sociable to start with!

yobuck
10-01-2019, 08:52 AM
Not everybody here has any knowledge or interest in building guns either.
But i doubt there’s a better place if your so inclined.

kwarw1
10-01-2019, 10:41 AM
Thanks oldday and yobuck for your replies.
My 112 22-250 (long action) single shot mostly just sat in the safe for 20 years. I kinda got the bug to move the barrel from lurking on here and seeing some of the nice builds the guys have done. I guess I'm a little over my head at this point. I figured it wouldn't be that big of a deal since all Savages used to be long actions. But figuring it out from scratch is becoming a chore.
I may need a 2 stock setup one for the 22-250 another for the 25-06! I don't know at this point how to proceed. On a good note I sighted the rifle in and it a hole in a hole @100 so that part is good

J.Baker
10-01-2019, 03:39 PM
If you were building on an Axis this wouldn't be as much of an issue, but since you're using a 110-series action that has different screw spacing for short and long-actions, well...you've entered the Twilight Zone.

Yes, from 1988 - 1998(?) all of the 110series rifles were made on a long-action, but they still used specific short or long action magazines. They accomplished this by varying the length of the machine cut in the bottom of the action to accept which ever length magazine was needed.

Simply put, there is no simple/easy solution for what you want to do.

I guess my question would be why are you wanting to abandon the 112 single-shot rifle that the 22-250 barrel is currently on? Why not just keep two dedicated rifles - that one in .22-250 and the 116 in .25-06? This way you wouldn't have to mess around with swapping out barrels or try to come up with a magazine solution that doesn't exist. Just seems to me like you've just created a headache for yourself with this project.

kwarw1
10-01-2019, 05:09 PM
Thanks for your reply J baker.
LOL your right, what my intention was to have a quick followup shot with the 22-250 and use the funds from the 112 action to offset some of the cost. I planned on getting a nice stock with a varmint contour channel no big deal to swap the barrel. I wasn't counting on the mag problems due to my lack of planning.
Now I am leaning towards selling the 112 action and finding a short action donor.
Where I REALLY screwed up is I told the wife unit I was gonna sale one and the project would be of low cost LOL!

J.Baker
10-01-2019, 07:30 PM
Thanks for your reply J baker.
LOL your right, what my intention was to have a quick followup shot with the 22-250 and use the funds from the 112 action to offset some of the cost. I planned on getting a nice stock with a varmint contour channel no big deal to swap the barrel. I wasn't counting on the mag problems due to my lack of planning.
Now I am leaning towards selling the 112 action and finding a short action donor.
Where I REALLY screwed up is I told the wife unit I was gonna sale one and the project would be of low cost LOL!

Keep an eye on Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops as they will likely have some kind of special running before Christmas on 12 FV's or something similar again. IIRC last year they were down to less than $300 with rebates. Why by an action when you can get a complete rifle with heavy barrel for not much more money?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/centerfire-rifles/bolt-action-centerfire-rifles/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105522480/i/105523380/savage-fv-varmint-rifle/1994604.uts?slotId=1

kwarw1
10-01-2019, 08:20 PM
That a really good option. I'll keep that in mind thanks

scooterf79
10-01-2019, 08:47 PM
I have a 243 barrel on a "long action" axis using the long action mag(it was originally a 30-06) and if I make sure the ammo is slid all the way back(toward the rear of the rifle) it feeds just fine for me. I realize there is a bit of size difference between the 243 and the 22-250...but this mite help some...
Scooter

kwarw1
10-01-2019, 09:20 PM
I've been looking at it closely their popping out of the lips early. Most of the time they tip down getting hung up. I think I going to try to widdle out a piece that will fit in the mag and guide it upward. Attaching with screws to the 06 follower.
My other brainstorm is to get the axis mag for 22-250 and put it on the floorplate of the 06 mag then chop the back off the 06 mag and weld together. But that's 2 mags ruined at $45 a pop.
Gonna try plan A in the a.m.