PDA

View Full Version : 116 build to 22-250 need a little help

Pages : 1 [2]

kwarw1
10-02-2019, 06:37 PM
Inspired from Scooter's post I looked up the OAL DIFFERENCE to find out the 22-250. is .29 shorter. I did some tweaking on the mag lips and found that if I loaded them 1/4" from the rear and cycle the bolt briskly I got pretty regular feeding. I will see how it does under recoil but a spacer looks like it might work out well. Thanks Scooter

kwarw1
12-25-2020, 10:32 AM
I got it finished. I did the following:
I bought a new wooden (old stock) blind mag long action off gun broker $50. It was for a standard barrel so I had to do a lot of work to get the bull barrel floated. It was also for a top release so I had to hog out for the accu trigger. Called Savage and got the stainless bottom release trigger guard.

The mage issue was solved by getting an axis mag and removing the bottom plastic. I built up the O.D. using masking tape wraps (thus keeping it centered) and made it fit very tight. The mag cut out is for a long action cartridge so way too long, I installed this mag all the way forward. I then wedged it in with wood shims futher securing it, and filled the open area in the rear with the shims so there is no void there. I am reluctant to epoxy it in cause if I ever have a mag issue I'll be screwed. I was fortunate to have an extended baffle so the bolt doesn't travel much past the mag.

Results: works perfect, feeds every time looks old school, clean and simple.

Thanks to every ones help. I've had the parts laying around awhile now but dread working with wood. Or working period for that matter LOL.
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I hate to read a thread and the OP doesn't give the final outcome. Like reading a book only to find the last three pages have been torn out. Thanks again.

GaCop
01-01-2021, 08:24 AM
I got it finished. I did the following:
I bought a new wooden (old stock) blind mag long action off gun broker $50. It was for a standard barrel so I had to do a lot of work to get the bull barrel floated. It was also for a top release so I had to hog out for the accu trigger. Called Savage and got the stainless bottom release trigger guard.

The mage issue was solved by getting an axis mag and removing the bottom plastic. I built up the O.D. using masking tape wraps (thus keeping it centered) and made it fit very tight. The mag cut out is for a long action cartridge so way too long, I installed this mag all the way forward. I then wedged it in with wood shims futher securing it, and filled the open area in the rear with the shims so there is no void there. I am reluctant to epoxy it in cause if I ever have a mag issue I'll be screwed. I was fortunate to have an extended baffle so the bolt doesn't travel much past the mag.

Results: works perfect, feeds every time looks old school, clean and simple.

Thanks to every ones help. I've had the parts laying around awhile now but dread working with wood. Or working period for that matter LOL.
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I hate to read a thread and the OP doesn't give the final outcome. Like reading a book only to find the last three pages have been torn out. Thanks again.
Glad it all worked out in the end.