PDA

View Full Version : Can you get useful data shooting 3 round groups?

Pages : [1] 2

CFJunkie
09-15-2019, 11:28 AM
I often see posts on different forums that list 3 round group results that get pretty severe comments about how 3 round groups are not indicators of load performance and they shouldn’t be use to compare results and that 5 round groups are the standard of comparisons. Others claim that I would generally agree with that, especially if the poster is basing conclusions on just one or two groups. Others have said they use 3 round groups for load development because once 3 rounds show poor results, the next to shots aren’t making the group any better.
I have been using 3 round groups for development for years, simply because it is cheaper but I also shoot lots of groups to verify my conclusions as you can see from the table immediately below for some of my better shooting rifles.
I also shoot 5 round groups that I use in the data I post on this forum. The resulting averages are larger largely because of shooter induced variations that cause successive shoots to open up groups. The best groups are still about the same size but there are fewer of them and some of the groups grow with the two extra rounds so the average is larger. I accept that that is caused by the shooter, not the rifle and don’t make excuses for that.
However, I thought you would like to see the comparison of the results to see how much larger the 5-round groups are than the 3 round groups. The ratios compare the overall group averages for the 5 to 3 round groups and the 3 to 5 round groups.
The ratios for each caliber are surprisingly similar but the heavier caliber .308s actually have better ratios showing that the 3-round overall average group sizes are closer in size to the 5-round overall average group sizes than for the .223 or 6.5mm Creedmoor rifles. The differences are the smallest for the high calibers and the largest for the lightest calibers. That seems counter intuitive considering that the recoil is heavier in the larger calibers, but it may simply indicate that the 3-round groups for the higher calibers are more effected by recoil so the 3-round group averages for the higher caliber rifles is larger but the ‘shooter induced variations’ that grow the groups when shooting the last two rounds are about the same, regardless of caliber.

Surprisingly, the Savage 10 FCP-K .308 data is heavily biased by 175 to 200 grain bullet loads which have a stronger felt recoil than the lighter 150 to 168 grain .308 bullets that dominate the data for the Savage 10 FP .308, which incidentally has a heavier stock to further eliminate recoil. The 10 FCP-K is the only rifle that has a muzzle brake. All the other rifles have no flash hiders or muzzle brakes.

In the notes following these two tables, I have tried to add information that would make it clearer why there are differences in the relationships of the overall averages and the Top 20 and Top 10 load averages between some of the rifles that appear to have better averages for their top 25 and Top 10 loads than for their overall averages. Basically, the overall data shows the results for all the loads used in development, even the ones that were very inaccurate. In the case of the 6.5mm Creedmoor rifles, the newer rifles got the benefit of being able to avoid the inaccurate powder bullet combinations.

Notes:

The Les Baer Super Varmint .223 overall average is severely skewed by poorer performance with the original stock (A2) that was too short for me and caused vertical stringing. After changing the stock, the groups improved significantly as is apparent in the top 25 and top 10 load averages. The top 25 loads are all 69 and 77 grain bullets shot with a Magpul adjustable match stock and ar a better indicator and comparator of the rifle's performance
The Savage 12 12 FV .223 overall average is skewed by poorer performance with bullets weights under 60 grains. The best performance is with 69 and 77 grain bullets (even though the barrel twist is 1:9). All the Top 25 and Top 10 loads are composed of 69 and 77 grain bullets.
The Savage 12 LRP 6.5mm Creedmoor was my initial rifle in that caliber and was used for load development to find what worked best. The 12 FV was a later addition with the same barrel length and only shot the loads that were the 12 LPR best performers. The Top 25 loads show the 12 LRP is the better performer with the better performing bullets and powders.
The Savage 10 FP and 10 FCP-K perform almost identically, but the FP prefers bullets in the 150 to 168 grain weight range and the 10 FCP-K prefers bullets in the 168 to 200 grain weight range. The overall average of the 10 FCP-K is slightly skewed by my unwillingness to accept that the 10 FCP-K didn't shoot the lighter bullets as accurately. the 5-round group averages for the 10 FCP-K .308 are actually smaller than the similar averages for the 10 FP .308. I didn’t shoot 5 round groups until I was relatively sure of what performed well.
The Savage 10T-SR has a 24-inch barrel so the loads were different than the 26-inch barrel model 12 LRP in the same caliber. After some load development with the 10T-SR that required a totally different load philosophy to match the different barrel reflection time, I found a 26-inch 12 FV that could become the load development platform for the more expensive 12 LRP and I stopped load development on the 10T-SR.

charlie b
09-15-2019, 09:16 PM
I would be happy with any of the groups you post :)

I used to shoot 3rnd groups for load development, but, frequently they lead me down the wrong path and I wasted more ammo figuring that out. I have been shooting 5rnd groups for quite a while now. I repeat the 'best' ones at least once to verify that I am in the right range.

Stumpkiller
09-15-2019, 10:36 PM
Sure. Especially with lightweight hunter profile barrels.

If you're shooting four or five shots at the same animal before the barrel cools you need to get closer.

But a five shot group invariably tells you a lot more than a three shot group. About 40% more.

thatguyshm
09-16-2019, 07:21 AM
Hunting rifles get 3-4 shot groups, play rifles get 5-10. I think shooting 3 shot groups at 200/300 yards is more telling of a load then five rounds at 100.

I've always been someone who wants tiny groups for my hunting rifles, but within the past 6 months in getting ready for an my first elk hunt, I've realized 1-1.5 moa is more than adequate. Usually the limiting factor is practice off the bench rather than what the rifle is capable of. Shoot off some walking sticks at 300 yards and be very happy if it's in a 6 inch cluster.

Edit: I forgot to mention, most important with 3 shot groups, save your targets and make sure the next day they shoot to the same POI as the last trip. That will verify that it's relatively consistent.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

yobuck
09-16-2019, 07:59 AM
I really think those type things matter most to the individual shooter.
My question would be if 5 is better than 3, wouldn’t 10 be twice as good as 5?
Might sound a bit silly, but maybe only to those whoe’s mind is fixed elsewhere.
I personally think 3 shots is enough to verify a load and shooter ability.
But then my bag isn’t group shooting.

6mmBR_Shooter
09-16-2019, 03:31 PM
One question I have for you is that when you say "useful data", what exactly are you going for? What is your use for the data gathered? Hunting within 200 yards? Target shooting out to 600 or 1k?

Shooting mid-range F class I can tell you that I've had plenty of consistent .25MOA loads at 100 yards that started to open up quite a bit at 600 (no wind). There are several threads on barrel harmonics, SD and ES over at the accurate shooter forum that make my head hurt and explain how if you're shooting at a longer distance, a 100yd group by itself is not a good indicator of the performance further out.

LoneWolf
09-16-2019, 04:12 PM
Over the weekend I shot a PRS Regional Series Match in NC. Distances varied from 383-1042yds over the 8 stage course of fire. I took my 22br loaded with 88eldm's to this match which is still rather new. I had a load for virgin formed brass, but after neck turning I found I lost 80fps due to the drop in chamber pressure. Instead of redoing load dev I looked at my data from a 10 shot velocity ladder that was in .1 increments and noted about 10fps per tenth grain of powder. With hurricane Dorian coming in 2 weeks ago I didn't know if I was going to have power the week leading to the match, so I added .8 to my load and loaded up my match ammo.

Now the day before the match I was finally able to get out and check this load. I shot a tight 3 round group less than half MOA and put 5 over the chrono with a 1.4SD. I took it to the match and out of 84pts I picked up 79 of them for the match win.

In my experience if it shoots at 100 and has respectable chrono numbers it will shoot at distance. I've never got more accurate data from 5 shot groups over 3 shot groups other than my own ability to remain consistent. But I'm not shooting a factory rifle either....

charlie b
09-16-2019, 05:03 PM
What is it used for? If I am shooting groups it is to find the best load for the bullet being used. Once I find the most accurate load I rarely shoot a group other than to verify zero. As stated above, 3 rnd groups are just not enough for me to pick that load. Depending on the rifle and cartridge I may do load development at 200 instead of 100yd.

A 3 rnd group is good enough to verify the zero for me, as long as I am being consistent. Sometimes even 1 round is enough if I feel like I am shooting well.

mikeinco
09-16-2019, 08:09 PM
FOR HUNTING, yes...if you aint got it in 2, the third is a waste.
but in target shooting groups tend to be
5 for most all as in benchrest and up
10 in some benchrest and several other shooting including mil /sorta mil
20 in some mil and f class.
more shots add more statistically data to a number/group size..

i use 3 on my way to 5's. most of my comp is 5 so 5 is where i stop

hamiltonkiler
09-16-2019, 09:37 PM
I’ve always been told if you can’t dial dope and hit the first time at 500yds you need work. [emoji23]
I only shoot 3 shot groups. I’m a fun farm shooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeinco
09-16-2019, 10:57 PM
DEFINE HIT....the 600 yard br x ring is 1.2"

I’ve always been told if you can’t dial dope and hit the first time at 500yds you need work. [emoji23]
I only shoot 3 shot groups. I’m a fun farm shooter

yobuck
09-17-2019, 08:15 AM

I would define a hit to be (whatever you happen to be shooting at.)
And if you miss the first time, the second time will get you into the club also and allow you to laugh at those who needed 3 or 4.

bsekf
09-17-2019, 08:50 AM
After 2 shots the group will never get smaller! If you are using good bench technique, you should be able to call your shots. After you have your ducks in a row with 3, then shoot 5. I've seen some nice 3 shot groups that got real bad with the next 2.

Bill

yobuck
09-17-2019, 09:12 AM
After 2 shots the group will never get smaller! If you are using good bench technique, you should be able to call your shots. After you have your ducks in a row with 3, then shoot 5. I've seen some nice 3 shot groups that got real bad with the next 2.

Bill

Well i would agree with you, but would add that all that ceases to matter once the bullet leaves the barrel.
Then other things start to matter including an element of luck.

hamiltonkiler
09-17-2019, 09:16 AM

Head shot. We shoot at a 8” plate 400-600yds. Somewhere in the middle makes me happy.

charlie b
09-17-2019, 07:27 PM
For some an 8" plate at 400-600yd is HUGE. I like to hit soda cans at 400 with the first round out of the pipe followed by at least 5 in a row.

yobuck
09-18-2019, 08:38 AM
For some an 8" plate at 400-600yd is HUGE. I like to hit soda cans at 400 with the first round out of the pipe followed by at least 5 in a row.

And the prize is? a soda can with holes in it.
And of coarse a personal cense of satisfaction for having done it.
Therein lies the difference in us as for opinions in what we do, and how well we need to be at doing it.
One isn’t right and the other wrong.
Will one hit on an 8” dinner plate size area get you a deer? Damn sure will, and for many that’s good enough.
And they can at least eat the deer. Lol

mikeinco
09-18-2019, 02:33 PM
yep not even in my ball park..which is why i asked.
i had a bone stock 10 in 308 that was shooting 185's inside a 3" x ring at 600 yards.
you have to post details when you talk about "accuracy".

Head shot. We shoot at a 8” plate 400-600yds. Somewhere in the middle makes me happy.

wbm
09-18-2019, 03:56 PM
Can you get useful data shooting 3 round groups?

Sure....and this time of year useful data from 1 round is...well...useful.

charlie b
09-18-2019, 08:29 PM
And the prize is? a soda can with holes in it.
And of coarse a personal cense of satisfaction for having done it.
Therein lies the difference in us as for opinions in what we do, and how well we need to be at doing it.
One isn’t right and the other wrong.
Will one hit on an 8” dinner plate size area get you a deer? Damn sure will, and for many that’s good enough.
And they can at least eat the deer. Lol

Agree. Which is why some will be perfectly satisfied with a 3 rnd group and others will not.

PS When I hunted I would shoot ONE round to verify a rifle before going on a trip. I never had it hit more than a couple inches from aim point if everything was ok with the rifle. It was useful data. I missed the target one year and discovered a loose sight mount. Reset the sight, shot one round, done.