PDA

View Full Version : Which case trimmer?

Pages : [1] 2

Midmosavage
08-31-2019, 10:03 PM
I currently use the Lee case length gauge and shell holder style case trimmers and it is very time consuming and you can only trim to the one set length. I am looking for something to make my brass trimming and prep much faster and the ability to trim at different lengths. I have been looking at the Giraud, Trim It 2, and PMA trimmers but don't want to have to buy separate trimmers or adapters for each caliber that I have. I have also been looking at the new Lyman Trim Xpress, Frankford Arsenal Universal case trimmer, and the Frankford Arsenal case trim and prep center. The Lyman and FA universal trimmer look to be new on the market and not many reviews. They all 3 appear to trim using the same concept as the other 3 mentioned earlier by trimming off the shoulder and they look like they come with everything for multiple calibers. Does anyone have any experience with the Lyman or either Frankford Arsenal trimmers? I would also get a simple case prep center with chamfer, debur, and primer pocket cleaner if I went with the Lyman or FA universal trimmer. Thank you for any advise.

Robinhood
08-31-2019, 10:18 PM
I like the Wilson trimmer, but I have a powered Lyman that works good enough.

Stumpkiller
08-31-2019, 10:20 PM
I have a Lyman Universal that has been in my service since 1978 or so. Looks identical to the current version except it is gray crinkle paint instead of orange.

For primer vent and neck reaming I use Redding hand tools.

Midmosavage
08-31-2019, 10:45 PM
https://www.lymanproducts.com/brass-smith-case-trim-xpresstm

Is this the same one you are talking about. I thought it was a completely new design for Lyman. I don't think it has been out very long?

mikeinco
09-01-2019, 12:29 PM
the wilson is the way to go for the average guy.
some of the powered tools are ok if you do large volume loading like for fclass or high power.

Robinhood
09-01-2019, 04:06 PM
The one I used was completely different than the Lyman in your link. I'm interested in that tool.

jpx2rk
09-01-2019, 05:10 PM
I have a FA prep center/trimmer model, (trimmer tool and 3 changeable heads), the 3 heads work fine, the trimmer function quit working properly, it still spins but does not cut/trim brass after about 1K 223 cases. I tried changing the cutting head, no improvement so I moved on to the Giruard tri-way for 223, and have the WFT for 204 & 22/250. If you have high volume to do, consider the Giruard for speed/efficiency, pricey yes, but you can really process the brass with it. The Trim-it II gets good reviews as well, and seems to be affordable for each caliber IMO.

Midmosavage
09-01-2019, 07:08 PM
Robinhood, yeah the Lyman is new and looks pretty nice. Has really good reviews from what I have saw. The Frankford Arsenal universal trimmer is really new. It is very affordable but doesn't look as durable as the Lyman.

https://www.natchezss.com/frankford-arsenal-universal-precision-case-trimmer-for-drill-or-drill-press.html

Stumpkiller
09-01-2019, 08:59 PM
https://www.lymanproducts.com/brass-smith-case-trim-xpresstm

Is this the same one you are talking about. I thought it was a completely new design for Lyman. I don't think it has been out very long?

Nope. I was talking about the Lyman Universal. I like slow and manual when it comes to trimming cases. It don't grow back.

GrenGuy
09-02-2019, 06:10 AM
I to am in the slow & manual column. And $165 is pretty steep on My current budget:(

Midmosavage
09-02-2019, 08:07 PM
The Frankford Arsenal Universal Precision Case Trimmer is only around $80. I just can't find any reviews on it.

Blue Avenger
09-03-2019, 12:40 AM
I use the RCBS case prep center. Universal shell holder and micrometer adjustment. Put on a 3 way cutter and it is one pass

celltech
09-03-2019, 08:25 AM
I picked up the new Lyman Xpress on sale a few months ago after hacking my way around with the manual AccuTrimmer. Absolutely no comparison between them. The ease and sheer speed of the Xpress makes it totally worth it. The guide that indexes off the case shoulder has to be pressed against a wave washer until flat to get the full cut and cases down at the .223 size can be harder to hang onto...everything bigger is just butter.

Robinhood
09-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Celltech, Would a jar lid gripper work for you?

celltech
09-03-2019, 09:23 PM
Celltech, Would a jar lid gripper work for you?

Yep...that would actually work great!

eddiesindian
09-06-2019, 09:25 PM
Gracey case trimmer makes quick work of trimming brass. Its been my go to. Weather I'm trimming large or small amounts of brass it does the trick

LoneWolf
09-11-2019, 02:53 PM
Giraud Case trimmer. Went from hand cranking 200 cases over 3hrs to about 30min or better on the Giraud with full trim, chamfer, and debur.

nksmfamjp
10-13-2019, 11:54 AM
It really depends on the volume. For lower volume stuff, I use my Wilson. For high volume stuff like 5.56 or 300bo, I use the trim-it II.

im no Giraud expert, but it looks like the same thing, except adjustable and uses your drill....

It will take some time to get the trim-it II running and balanced where Giraud kind of does that for you.

tarbe
10-28-2019, 11:02 PM
After reading through this thread I am so ready to dump my 40 year old RCBS crank trimmer!

Savage 94C
10-29-2019, 07:53 PM
I started out back in the 70's using one of the Lee hand trimmers, ie handheld collet holding brass, sticking the trimmer in and twisting and twisting and twisting and......Got fed up and tired of that and bought a Forester hand crank unit. Thought I'd gone to reloaders heaven. Case trimming is the most hated and boring step of reloading in IMO. Absolutely hate and despise it. If trimming brass was all there was to reloading, I'd given it up years ago. I acutely like/love to reload, the challenge, savings, and pride of making my own ammo--but I despise trimming. About a year a go I got a Little Crow Trimmer set up (use a power drill) and use it on 5.56 and several other rifle calibers I load a lot. The Forester unit still gets plenty of cranking when needed. It's a well made trimmer from a old line company, not priced so high to make ya cringe. Still need to hand deburr and a few other steps, but I'm old school, still use the same RCBS Rockchucker I bought back in the 70's for 7 handgun calibers and eight rifle (I think that's the right count). They're OK, but I think the high dollar "Do All" outfits sold by the reloading equipment outfits are like the multitude of fish lures on the market. Made to catch fishermen, not so much fish. If ya have to, ya can get by with less and still trim a lot of brass, but NO to the hand turnin Lee Twister nightmares.