PDA

View Full Version : Which case trimmer?

Pages : 1 [2]

GaCop
11-22-2019, 08:33 AM
I'm on my 4th cutter in my Forster trimmer that I bought back in 1972. No complaints with their product in all these years.

GaCop
11-22-2019, 08:37 AM
I started out back in the 70's using one of the Lee hand trimmers, ie handheld collet holding brass, sticking the trimmer in and twisting and twisting and twisting and......Got fed up and tired of that and bought a Forester hand crank unit. Thought I'd gone to reloaders heaven. Case trimming is the most hated and boring step of reloading in IMO. Absolutely hate and despise it. If trimming brass was all there was to reloading, I'd given it up years ago. I acutely like/love to reload, the challenge, savings, and pride of making my own ammo--but I despise trimming. About a year a go I got a Little Crow Trimmer set up (use a power drill) and use it on 5.56 and several other rifle calibers I load a lot. The Forester unit still gets plenty of cranking when needed. It's a well made trimmer from a old line company, not priced so high to make ya cringe. Still need to hand deburr and a few other steps, but I'm old school, still use the same RCBS Rockchucker I bought back in the 70's for 7 handgun calibers and eight rifle (I think that's the right count). They're OK, but I think the high dollar "Do All" outfits sold by the reloading equipment outfits are like the multitude of fish lures on the market. Made to catch fishermen, not so much fish. If ya have to, ya can get by with less and still trim a lot of brass, but NO to the hand turnin Lee Twister nightmares.

Gotta agree with you, trimming is the pits, ranks up there with deburring flash holes and uniforming primer pockets.

PhilC
11-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Like my Forster too, adding the power adapter makes it almost as quick as other powered trimmers. Picked up a couple 3 in 1 trimmer heads for it and am anxious to try them. Trim and chamfer in/out in one step. Henderson Precision uses the same head on their trimmer.

psharon97
11-22-2019, 11:00 AM
I went with the Wilson trimmer

jim_k
11-23-2019, 02:14 PM
I mostly use the Giraud. Whichever trimmer you use, make sure the inside neck chamfer is smooth and clean, so as to avoid cutting the jacket as the bullet is being seated. To that end, even after trimming with the Giraud, I chamfer case necks inside with a wooden-handled Lyman VLD chamfer tool until it turns smoothly.

Three44s
11-28-2019, 12:43 AM
Wilson advocate here!

Three44s

DDinMN
12-05-2019, 09:17 AM
Have a Lyman Universal that I used for years lots of years and cutters. Works well.

Axlrod
12-13-2019, 10:46 PM
I use the Forster Power Case Trimmer base mounted on my drill press. With the 3 In 1 cutter i can trim and chamfer inside and out doing 10/minute after setting up the tool.

rifrench
12-24-2019, 05:00 PM
My Giraud works well!

Fuj'
12-25-2019, 04:17 PM
Forster Original

lonestardiver
12-25-2019, 05:09 PM
I use the Wilson for straight walled cartridges and a Little Crow WBT for bottlenecked rifle brass.