PDA

View Full Version : Looking for sourcing recommendation

Pages : [1] 2

thaifighter
07-15-2019, 09:00 PM
I am having a bit of a time finding replacement bolt faces for a model 12FV in .223. Would like SA .473 and .540 RH bolt faces so I can build this in whatever configuration I like. I was able to find a repalcement bolt baffle at XLR so the wife can use magazines, but it seems that everyone selling bolt faces is out of stock unless it's PTG and that seems to be mixed bag from the reviews. I think I'd prefer to stick with Savage OEM.

Any and all assistance appreciated. Thanks!

wbm
07-15-2019, 10:13 PM
https://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts/savage-replacement-bolt-head-223-rem
https://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts/savage-3006-270-2506-bolt-head

Robinhood
07-15-2019, 10:39 PM
Good try WBM. Let me fix that for you.

http://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts/savage-bolt-head/savage-replacement-bolt-head-308-243-65-creedmoor-260-338-federal

For a magnum you will need to cut/grind a little off the tail of a long action magnum BH.

http://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts/savage-bolt-head/savage-magnum-bolt-head

thaifighter
07-15-2019, 10:59 PM
copy that, but again, the one is showing as pre-order and the magnum as out of stock... I seem to be rubbing up against that everywhere I go. I'll email and ask them if the pre-order is a drop-ship and if so, what's the turnaround time.

THanks for the info.

PhilC
07-16-2019, 11:31 AM
Gunparts Co has them. I ordered a factory new .473 RH bolt head last Monday and was in my mail box Saturday.

J.Baker
07-16-2019, 12:00 PM
I'm hopeful that once the sale of Savage takes effect (August 1st) parts availability will improve significantly shortly thereafter.

mudpig
07-16-2019, 12:09 PM
I've gotten several bolt heads from PTG and I've always been impressed by the products received.

J.Baker
07-16-2019, 04:57 PM
I've gotten several bolt heads from PTG and I've always been impressed by the products received.

You must be the exception then.

thaifighter
07-16-2019, 06:50 PM
Gunparts Co has them. I ordered a factory new .473 RH bolt head last Monday and was in my mail box Saturday.

gah! yes they do! How did I *NOT* know to check Numrich... Pretty sure if I needed an extractor spring for a 7.7 Arisaka bring back, they'd have every variety of OEM spring that the Japanese turned out in stock.

THanks!

Robinhood
07-16-2019, 09:10 PM

Ditto. Improved groups on three sticks, don't know how(got an idea). Had to increase the depth of the extractor detent spring hole for the upgraded ball diameter(9/64). simple job with the right sized bit. Just took a touch out of the bottom. That thing must have been near coil bind from the factory. Installed dozens with that being the only issue.

Dave Hoback
07-16-2019, 09:42 PM
Everything I’ve ever purchased from PTG has been excellent. I think a few people just have an axe to grind with them. Someone even said their steel was soft, like dust or something?? Preposterous! The Savage bolt heads are stamped(press forged) steel, the PTG are machined from a Billet. There were more problems years ago, but are very, very high quality now. Unfortunately, once bitten.... People aren’t likely to give products another look if they have it in their heads they were wronged. The PTG bolt head is flat out nicer, and can produce very nice results. Mudpig is Hardly the only one who has used several PTG parts to success. (Just look at reviews). But of course there will be bad reviews as well. Many by people who have never touch a PTG product, and are simply repeating what they hear others say, they believe are knowledgeable. That said, Savage bolt heads work just fine, and at much cheaper prices. Much like the difference in building either a Glock or a 1911. The Glock will accept parts very easily with little to no fitment. Building a 1911 is quite different. Every part must be HAND FIT! But it’s a higher precision piece.

sharpshooter
07-17-2019, 12:35 AM
What ever gave you the idea that Savage bolt heads are stamped or forged???

Dave Hoback
07-17-2019, 05:53 AM
They are made with either stampings or cast ingots. So please enlighten.

PhilC
07-17-2019, 12:27 PM
That said, Savage bolt heads work just fine, and at much cheaper prices.
I briefly considered the PTG bolt head, which I grant certainly appears to be a higher precision piece, but I couldn't justify it over the factory part, which for less than $25, works just fine.

short round
07-17-2019, 01:43 PM
If they are precision, why dose the small dia. firing pin not fit correctly ?

charlie b
07-17-2019, 05:53 PM
So are the Savage ones machined from a casting or are they forged? I like forged parts. Cast is a different story depending on how it is done.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

sharpshooter
07-17-2019, 05:59 PM
They are made with either stampings or cast ingots. So please enlighten.

You say that like it's a matter of fact, but nothing is farther from the truth. They are neither......They have always been machined from billet stock from day one. In 1988, they started using extruded profile stock to cut machining time. The material used is 41L40, heat treated to 35-42 Rc. Currently there are 3 different vendors who supply bolt heads to Savage, 2 use profiled stock, the other uses round stock. Despite the fact that they come from 3 places, these bolt heads are THE most consistent component of all the parts that goes into a Savage rifle. I know, because I measure hundreds of them. PTG bolt heads are the most inconsistent part that I have ever seen from an aftermarket vendor. They not only vary from part to part, but have specs that do not work to anybodies advantage. I have a lot of customers that send a PTG bolt head to use on their build, so I get to see a larger cross section of samples than most users on this board.
Most of the time I will not use a PTG bolt head just for the fact it takes more time and effort to make them work correctly, and as good as a OEM part. For what they cost, you would expect an advantage, but there is none. I'm partial to what works, and if there was an advantage, I'd have them in all my guns.

Robinhood
07-17-2019, 07:35 PM
What could take more time than facing or bushing?

Robinhood
07-17-2019, 08:41 PM
You missed that one Dave. It does look like it is shot peened though. The face is always dished. And it floats:disillusionment:.

Dave Hoback
07-17-2019, 08:43 PM
You say that like it's a matter of fact, but nothing is farther from the truth. They are neither......They have always been machined from billet stock from day one. In 1988, they started using extruded profile stock to cut machining time. The material used is 41L40, heat treated to 35-42 Rc. Currently there are 3 different vendors who supply bolt heads to Savage, 2 use profiled stock, the other uses round stock. Despite the fact that they come from 3 places, these bolt heads are THE most consistent component of all the parts that goes into a Savage rifle. I know, because I measure hundreds of them. PTG bolt heads are the most inconsistent part that I have ever seen from an aftermarket vendor. They not only vary from part to part, but have specs that do not work to anybodies advantage. I have a lot of customers that send a PTG bolt head to use on their build, so I get to see a larger cross section of samples than most users on this board.
Most of the time I will not use a PTG bolt head just for the fact it takes more time and effort to make them work correctly, and as good as a OEM part. For what they cost, you would expect an advantage, but there is none. I'm partial to what works, and if there was an advantage, I'd have them in all my guns.

Once again I disagree. No mass produced parts like bolts, actions etc., are CNC’d from a Billet! Companies, like Remington, Savage, Howa etc., use either investment castings, or forged pieces, then final machined to specs. The PTG bolt heads ARE CNC machined from a solid billet, a very expensive & precise process, which is Which is why they simply look different...nicer...cleaner! Explain how Savage could POSSIBLY afford to use the most expensive style of machining in metallurgy, and then sell them for under $25?? The bolt heads are made as I said. A rough shaped pressing(which IS forging btw...these aren’t 2 different things! Forging, as it is in law producing, is not the old guy over a coal forge & anvil!