PDA

View Full Version : Wolds finest trimmer

Pages : [1] 2 3

DesertDug
05-05-2019, 10:21 AM
Any one have and use Little Crow gunworks Wolds Finest Trimmer?
https://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/store1/Worlds-Finest-Trimmers-and-Case-Preparation-c31402021

Got this used- new condition with some brass and die set also new condition in 6.5 creedmoor for a build I am working on. Stock to arrive Tuesday, so I have all but the powder to take it out!

looks interesting but not sure how true the cut will be. Might only be good for bulk loading. What says you nuts.

Ted_Feasel
05-05-2019, 10:29 AM
Any one have and use Little Crow gunworks Wolds Finest Trimmer?
https://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/store1/Worlds-Finest-Trimmers-and-Case-Preparation-c31402021

Got this used- new condition with some brass and die set also new condition in 6.5 creedmoor for a build I am working on. Stock to arrive Tuesday, so I have all but the powder to take it out!

looks interesting but not sure how true the cut will be. Might only be good for bulk loading. What says you nuts.By far the most accurate is the LE Wilson trimmer... not the fastest but if you want truest precision then LE wilson

https://www.amazon.com/L-Wilson-CT-SSKIT-Stainless-Adjustment/dp/B00QQWWECI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=le+wilson+trimmer&qid=1557066527&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

lonestardiver
05-05-2019, 10:31 AM
They are supposed to be pretty consistent being that index off of the shoulder...similar to headspacing. That is also why they are not available for straight walled cartridges.

I have several but have not used them yet. The nice thing is that several related cartridges can use the same trimmer (.308/.243, .30-06/.270/.25-06).

Ted_Feasel
05-05-2019, 11:57 AM
They are supposed to be pretty consistent being that index off of the shoulder...similar to headspacing. That is also why they are not available for straight walled cartridges.

I have several but have not used them yet. The nice thing is that several related cartridges can use the same trimmer (.308/.243, .30-06/.270/.25-06).Indexing off the shoulder is really not the greatest idea.. unless you are getting shoulder set highly precise, indexing from there will only make your case length as accurate as your shoulder set back, not to mention shoulder may not necessarily be concentric.. all that said I have never tried the trimmer your using, have read much about it and see mixed thoughts and results but I always take internet commandos with a grain of salt :)

gbflyer
05-05-2019, 12:35 PM
Indexing off the shoulder is really not the greatest idea.. unless you are getting shoulder set highly precise, indexing from there will only make your case length as accurate as your shoulder set back, not to mention shoulder may not necessarily be concentric.. all that said I have never tried the trimmer your using, have read much about it and see mixed thoughts and results but I always take internet commandos with a grain of salt :)

What does the perfectly trimmed case yield in terms of accuracy?

Ted_Feasel
05-05-2019, 12:38 PM
What does the perfectly trimmed case yield in terms of accuracy?Depends on how picky you are I guess.. for hunters and plinking probably negligible but for LD shooter as I prefer it can make 10" difference at 1000 yards

DesertDug
05-05-2019, 12:42 PM
Ya I kick my self when I went with the hornady when getting equipment and not getting this one.

the Wilson.

Ted_Feasel
05-05-2019, 12:46 PM
Ya I kick my self when I went with the hornady when getting equipment and not getting this one.

the Wilson.The price difference on the Wilson is really not that much greater especially when it's a tool that will last a life time.. the case holders for the Wilson are very reasonably price, they dont gouge you on them and they will custom cut case holders if one doesn't fit your case just right, just sent them 3 cases.

Txhillbilly
05-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Depends on how picky you are I guess.. for hunters and plinking probably negligible but for LD shooter as I prefer it can make 10" difference at 1000 yards

I'm pretty picky,but having a small difference in case length (+/- a couple thousandth's) doesn't make a hill of beans as far as accuracy goes at any distance. I have 3 Little Crow trimmers,as well as a bunch of the Lee trimmers. Been using the Lee trimmers for close to 4 decades,and the WFT trimmers since they came out.
My favorite trimmer is the Trim It II,it trims and chamfers the inside and outside of the case in one step.

Ted_Feasel
05-05-2019, 07:29 PM
I'm pretty picky,but having a small difference in case length (+/- a couple thousandth's) doesn't make a hill of beans as far as accuracy goes at any distance. I have 3 Little Crow trimmers,as well as a bunch of the Lee trimmers. Been using the Lee trimmers for close to 4 decades,and the WFT trimmers since they came out.
My favorite trimmer is the Trim It II,it trims and chamfers the inside and outside of the case in one step.I have to respectfully disagree with the "at any distance" part of your statement. I have and do experience it with my own rifles weekly. Your changing many variables when you have differences in case length such as seating depth, accuracy and consistency of crimps (I do lightly crimp on my big and small frame ARs) at 1000yrd i see group sizes fluctuate dramatically if you dont control as many variables in your loads as possible, including case length, should set back, seating depth etc.

DesertDug
05-05-2019, 08:48 PM
I would expect at least change in neck tension with variance in case lenght.

DesertDug
05-05-2019, 08:49 PM
Hillbilly, what's your thoughts on how the wft rates. Accuracy?

eddiesindian
05-05-2019, 11:50 PM
My favorite trimmer is the Trim It II,it trims and chamfers the inside and outside of the case in one step.
Bingo

want2ride
05-06-2019, 02:57 AM
The WFT works great. Try it and you will be happy with it. The only thing that I would ever trade it for would be a Giraud.

JW
05-06-2019, 06:44 AM
I use one on bulk 223 and it does OK. Very fast.
My experience yielded .002 or less in final lengths.
As with sizing, variances occur with different brands and lots of brass.
I am one of those that have to have everything the same LOL so it doesn't get much use.
Jack

mudpig
05-06-2019, 12:42 PM
I love the ones I have. They work great and are accurate enough!!!!

Ted_Feasel
05-06-2019, 12:45 PM
I recon it's like alot of things, if it suits your needs and your content with it, no need to look further:)

DesertDug
05-06-2019, 01:32 PM
I recon it's like alot of things, if it suits your needs and your content with it, no need to look further:)

I ask due to not having used it. Was in a packaged deal I got.

Texas10
05-06-2019, 09:03 PM
I have several WFT and also several worlds cheapest trimmer. Same idea but made of Delrin and much less expensive.

Both index off the shoulder exactly as the cartridge does in the chamber, cut quickly, about 5 seconds each which really helps when going through 200 to 300 cases. They are quite accurate but remember, when checking OAL after the cut, you're measuring from the BASE of the cartridge, so any variation in length is likely due to inconsistent shoulder bump. Therefore, when you set it up for the first time, make sure your cartridge case is properly sized so you get your neck length correct. Especially if your barrel is custom and with the chamber cut to SAAMI specs and not extra long for liability sake like most factory barrels. If your intention is to set it to cut the mouth very close to chamber length to avoid carbon ring buildup, this distance becomes very important.

Txhillbilly
05-06-2019, 10:55 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with the "at any distance" part of your statement. I have and do experience it with my own rifles weekly. Your changing many variables when you have differences in case length such as seating depth, accuracy and consistency of crimps (I do lightly crimp on my big and small frame ARs) at 1000yrd i see group sizes fluctuate dramatically if you dont control as many variables in your loads as possible, including case length, should set back, seating depth etc.

Well Ted,I guess we just disagree. The wind is more of a variable at distance than a couple thousandths difference in case trim length. Years ago,I was a really anal minded reloader and did everything that the benchrest shooting friends of mine did. It started driving me nuts,and took a lot of my personal time doing it. I stopped worrying about it,and just started reloading like I grew up,and shooting became fun again. I don't get to shoot every week anymore,but I do go shooting out to a mile a couple times a month.
I put a lot more importance on case annealing,consistent neck tension,and seating depth than case trimming.

Hillbilly, what's your thoughts on how the wft rates. Accuracy?

Other than the Trim It II unit or the Giraud unit,the WFT trimmers are great. I keep a trimmed piece of brass for each cartridge that I shoot,that way I can easily swap out the case dies in the trimmer and adjust the cutting bit to the correct depth. The only negative I have with the WFT trimmer is it doesn't chamfer the case like the Trim It or Giraud.