PDA

View Full Version : Wolds finest trimmer

Pages : 1 [2] 3

psharon97
05-07-2019, 09:01 AM
I use the wilson case trimmer myself. It hasn't helped in terms of accuracy or precision of my rounds. What it has done is helped my the velocities much more consistent when using cheaper brass. I use and prefer starline brass in PRS. I often lose around 7 to 10 pieces of brass so more expensive brass is out of the question.

DesertDug
05-07-2019, 09:15 AM
I use the wilson case trimmer myself. It hasn't helped in terms of accuracy or precision of my rounds. What it has done is helped my the velocities much more consistent when using cheaper brass. I use and prefer starline brass in PRS. I often lose around 7 to 10 pieces of brass so more expensive brass is out of the question.

Does not "consistent velocities" equate consistent accuracy- if all else equal, especially at longer distances?

Dave Hoback
05-07-2019, 09:18 AM
I have been using the WFT for a couple years now. It works very well. Easy to use & very consistent. I would never go back to a standard style trimmer, like the Lee. However, at the moment I only load 260. I’ve been through so many guns and went through my stage of several different calibers, but I’m more simple now. I can see though, how these trimmers would be very expensive for those who load multiple calibers. So, may not be the best choice for all.

DesertDug
05-07-2019, 09:22 AM
Agreed Dave. This model i for 6.5 creedmoor only. It is a v1 model. The v2 has interchangeable internal chambers for different calibers. Right now I am wishing it was for .556 or .308 which I am not so finicky regarding my reloads.

Ted_Feasel
05-07-2019, 11:10 AM
Does not "consistent velocities" equate consistent accuracy- if all else equal, especially at longer distances?I agree, consistent velocity does provide pieces of the puzzle needed for more predictable and tighter group. Especially when crimping on my gas guns, a very precise oal is extremely important for even crimp pressure/neck tensions. I use the Redding taper crimp only dies on my AR rounds then neck size only on my bolt guns

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Texas10
05-09-2019, 11:36 PM
Does not "consistent velocities" equate consistent accuracy- if all else equal, especially at longer distances?

Consistent velocity, i.e. low SD and ES does not always coincide with optimal barrel time. I know, inconvenient truth. We strive for it, but it's very elusive. Today I shot some load works up in my 308. Best consistency was SD 1 ES 3 but unfortunately it did not produce the best groups at 200 yds. Might be worth further study though.

If I can just find the perfect charge, powder, primer, case, bullet, jump, neck tension, hold, trigger pull, scope, weather, and LUCK, if i could just get me some more LUCK...:cool:

DesertDug
05-10-2019, 07:47 AM
Mom always told me if it wasn't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all so I can't help ya out texas10

DesertDug
05-13-2019, 09:55 PM
Tried my first batch of 18. I was shooting for 1.90". Avg was 1.899". A .001" off ES of .004".
quick set up. I chucked it up in a habor freight drill press. Cases need to be de. Urged and chamfered.
Maybe I can refine my technique as I proceed with this tool.

CFJunkie
05-13-2019, 10:13 PM
You can alway sort the brass by trim length and adjust the seating depth by about the same amount to keep the effective velocity the same.
Longer trim length needs an equal adjustment of O.A.L in the opposite direction.

When you resize them for the next reload, the brass lengths will change again.
With my latest 6.5mm Creedmoor, I bought 100 cases of Lapua brass. All measured exactly 1.910, just like SAAMI recommends.
After I loaded them, shot them, and cleaned and resized them, about 60 were still 1.910 with just about an equal distribution +/- 0.002 around that mean.

I sorted them, adjusted the seating depth and reloaded them and shot them.
Almost no difference in average group size, especially since each group essentially had only 0.001 difference in any of the trimmed brass.
I'm not sure that even a 0.004 difference in trim length would really change the overall group size, but I figure that sorting by trim length doesn't hurt anything and can only be better.

Works for me, especially since I hate to trim brass. I tend to think that excess trimming reduces brass life, maybe because I hate to trim brass so much.

Shooter0302
05-14-2019, 09:24 AM
NOT vary accurate / constant , I did some LCLR and FGGM 308 cases, it left a flattened ring at the case mouth [first time use] which almost required using a neck turning tool to remove. When I complained to the owner, got the usual BS "it's NOT my tool, it's your resizing practices. At that point the POS went into the junk box waiting for the next clubs swap meet. Since I wanted constant to within .02 OAL I bought a Wilson trimmer.

Ted_Feasel
05-14-2019, 10:49 AM
NOT vary accurate / constant , I did some LCLR and FGGM 308 cases, it left a flattened ring at the case mouth [first time use] which almost required using a neck turning tool to remove. When I complained to the owner, got the usual BS "it's NOT my tool, it's your resizing practices. At that point the POS went into the junk box waiting for the next clubs swap meet. Since I wanted constant to within .02 OAL I bought a Wilson trimmer.Heck I get consistency to .001 with my Wilson trimmer.. I love it:)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bigedp51
05-14-2019, 10:50 PM
I have two WFT trimmers and like them, and there is noting wrong with indexing off the case shoulder. On top of this if you neck turn the cutter stops at the same point on the neck shoulder junction.

If you trim off the base of the cases the brass springback will make the neck lengths vary and when turning necks the cutter will not stop at the same point.

Also when you use the WFT or any trimmer that indexes off the case shoulder the case mouth will always be at the same point in the neck of the chamber.

Bottom line the WFT will make all your case necks the same length and make your turned necks all uniform at the neck shoulder junction.

6mmBR_Shooter
05-14-2019, 10:53 PM
I use one on bulk 223 and it does OK. Very fast.
My experience yielded .002 or less in final lengths.
As with sizing, variances occur with different brands and lots of brass.
I am one of those that have to have everything the same LOL so it doesn't get much use.
Jack

I've had one for years (only one) in 223 and have done thousands of 223 cases with it for Highpower. My experiences with the length consistency is the same, and if I press harder I do get a shorter case. It of course does require chamfering the inside/outside of the neck afterwards, but I've never seen anything excessive. For anything other than benchrest (including F-class) I would use it. I'm also of the mind that a .002 case variance is going to be negligible compared to other factors.

I use the lathe style trimmer for every other rifle caliber, but I'm not shooting any of the other cartridges in bulk like 223.

98dyna
05-18-2019, 04:57 PM
I have one of the first multi-fit .223's they offered, has about 10,000+ rounds through it. Wore out a couple bits but works great for large amounts of brass and cuts within .002 of where it is set. I use a WCT .300 BO trimmer for making brass.

DesertDug
07-13-2019, 11:53 AM
I have figured this thing out and it is constant. To set to exact lenght wanted you need to size a case then use that case as the standard and know the top of end mill bits distance from the bottom of cutter and you can adjust to any distance cut.
https://i.postimg.cc/kXSP6gb9/image.jpg (https://postimg.cc/RNvD29db)

3.110" give me an over all case trim of 1.914".

Now it's set and getting cases back in spec should be a breeze and precise.

mikeinco
07-13-2019, 01:14 PM
i'll be the negative
way too much money for what to does....002 ?
for volume others do very well dillon is good and fast
others do three surfaces( no deburring)
i have a lathe and use an adjustable shoulder based cutter for high volume in 308

bigedp51
07-13-2019, 01:39 PM
I like the WFT trimmers I have and here is some food for thought.

The WFT indexes off the case shoulder and makes the case neck the same length.

Case trimmers that measure from the base of the case only insure the case OAL is the same. Meaning the neck length and shoulder position can vary and its position in the neck of the chamber.

And remember the ejector pushes the case forward until it is stopped by the case shoulder.

DesertDug
07-13-2019, 05:41 PM
I like the WFT trimmers I have and here is some food for thought.

The WFT indexes off the case shoulder and makes the case neck the same length.

Case trimmers that measure from the base of the case only insure the case OAL is the same. Meaning the neck length and shoulder position can vary and its position in the neck of the chamber.

And remember the ejector pushes the case forward until it is stopped by the case shoulder.

agreed. This has to be better, and more consistent.

mikeinco
07-13-2019, 08:33 PM
more consistent than what ?
the dillon and my lathe bsed trimmers both use the shoulder as a stop.

agreed. This has to be better, and more consistent.

DesertDug
07-13-2019, 10:16 PM
[QUOTE=mikeinco;458209]more consistent than what ?
the dillon and my lathe bsed trimmers both use the shoulder as a stop.[/QUOTE

.So we are saying the same I believe. I was saying that measuring trim from a shoulder datum makes great sense to me. But I am kinda new to these concepts. My hornady hand trimmer is not adjustable enough to get a consistent trim lenght. The WGT resulted in 36 out of 36 case trimmings all to the 0.001". So after figuring this trimmer out, I think I will be happy with its results.