PDA

View Full Version : 2018 or newer trigger adjust...shorten the spring ?

Pages : [1] 2

mikeinco
05-03-2019, 06:47 PM
yes it is the same, but mine will not adjust below 3 lbs.
supposedly they can go down to 2 safely.

what happens if i slowly shorten the original spring..one coil at a time ?

EDIT, SAVAGE SAYS my "new" rifle was actually made in 2014. just sat in a stock room somewhere.

Robinhood
05-03-2019, 11:37 PM
Just remember to keep enough preload where the trigger and sear keep forced contact on bolt open.

Dave Hoback
05-04-2019, 12:36 AM
Oh man! If only there were a way to make the Accutrigger perform like an expensive 2-stage. And for very little cost. That would indeed be something. Oh well...

mikeinco
05-04-2019, 01:08 AM
no..just the generally advertised 2lbs.
i see it everywhere..but on my rifle.
i may call on monday and see what they say at savage.
( i am not a big fan of 2 stage triggers, just singles set light)
for the record, i am returning a rifle basix's POS sav1
THEY CLAIM low let off, but at 2lbs the safety quit working.
it works at 3lbs...my savage trigger works at 3 lbs...duh.
the instructions said to remove a part that was not there,
and said to "adjust" 2 screws with no clue how/what was to be expected/
what was the "adjustment".
phone said i was the problem and i should return the trigger..i am.

Oh man! If only there were a way to make the Accutrigger perform like an expensive 2-stage. And for very little cost. That would indeed be something. Oh well...

Dave Hoback
05-04-2019, 07:48 AM
I’m sorry Mike....inside joke. I don’t use a 2-stage. I have the stock Accutrigger, but I have a couple tricks which turn it into a different beast altogether. It only has a “hint” of a 2-stage in that the Accutrigger Safety is somewhat of a first stage.

I agree with you on the Rifle Basix trigger. BTW, the 2 screws are the very small set screws located on the bottom of the unit. One for takeup and the other adjusts overtravel. The problem is it uses the STOCK SEAR, which has a horribly uneven surface. By mating the contact surfaces of the trigger & sear, even your 3lb weight would feel super light. 2lb like this feels scary. And any lighter is simply ridiculous! These crazy comp. trigger in the 4-8 OUNCE territory are absolutely terrifying! Your heart beat can darn near set it off!

Texas10
05-04-2019, 09:53 AM
You might just replace the spring with this:http://www.gunshack.com/savage-accu-trigger-target-spring-105270-sav105270-adjustable%20trigger

I don't believe it's actually a Target Accutrigger spring, but rather a Varmint Accutrigger spring. Either way, It'll reduce the pull weight. Due to the design, you can't simply cut coils. But changing the spring and putting a little anti-seize on the sear will help considerably.

DesertDug
05-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Try searching for trigger mods, as there is a thread regarding this ^^^
polishing sear and doing some work to the spring. I have not attempted it. I did replace my spring on my old style 3 screw triger.

mikeinco
05-04-2019, 10:26 AM
i actually shoot in bench rest ,light triggers are not new to me.
this 111 is the basis of a 2000 yard group and score rifle. on the inexpensive side..just a project to play with.

I’m sorry Mike....inside joke. I don’t use a 2-stage. I have the stock Accutrigger, but I have a couple tricks which turn it into a different beast altogether. It only has a “hint” of a 2-stage in that the Accutrigger Safety is somewhat of a first stage.

I agree with you on the Rifle Basix trigger. BTW, the 2 screws are the very small set screws located on the bottom of the unit. One for takeup and the other adjusts overtravel. The problem is it uses the STOCK SEAR, which has a horribly uneven surface. By mating the contact surfaces of the trigger & sear, even your 3lb weight would feel super light. 2lb like this feels scary. And any lighter is simply ridiculous! These crazy comp. trigger in the 4-8 OUNCE territory are absolutely terrifying! Your heart beat can darn near set it off!

mikeinco
05-04-2019, 10:33 AM
thanks for the lead on the spring. i will try savage first as it would be TWENTY FIVE US DOLLARS FOR 2 from that source.
they do not offer first class mail only priority at 8 bucks and a 5 dollar handling fee on a 6 dollar part

Robinhood
05-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Look for a SSS Trigger or the SavII. For me, the accutrigger is a POS that is only safe because of the safety blade and has little to do with accuracy.

If you just have to use one shim the trigger to remove side play and slop. If you have a Dremel with jewelers rouge and a polishing wheel use that too, judiciously of course. Get the proper sear and spring for the desired pull weight.

I will refine the angles for my own and have tested them extensively. Doing something like that by hand is your own choice. Bump test and bump test more.

Did I mention finding a used SSS trigger.

Dave Hoback
05-04-2019, 09:45 PM
Built in safeties are a good thing. There is a reason NO ONE carries a series 70 1911 without the thumb safety on, but millions don’t think twice about their Glocks NOT having a thumb safety. With that, I’ll say a Dremel & rouge are NOT a triggers friend. If you don’t know exactly what you are doing, better not to do it. Then again, one can only learn by doing. I’ve been setting up triggers on pistols & rifles for the better part of 2 decades! There is a relationship between the trigger/hammer & sear that goes far beyond “make it CHINY mang!” Or spring tension, for that matter! A properly set up trigger is creating 100% consistency between TWO components in two different arc motions, on completely separate planes! So what does that all mean?? Well, it took me a few years to TRULY understand it.

Robinhood
05-04-2019, 11:16 PM
Your blowing smoke David. Some are qualified to know it.:welcome:back.

Dave Hoback
05-05-2019, 12:09 PM
Your blowing smoke David. Some are qualified to know it.:welcome:back.

Oh I know that.... I wasn’t trying to imply anything. It’s not my responsibility to decide who knows what or not!

Thanks. I’ve been around. Just waiting for the inevitable. But what you told me made sense to me Robin.

Texas10
05-08-2019, 10:07 AM
thanks for the lead on the spring. i will try savage first as it would be TWENTY FIVE US DOLLARS FOR 2 from that source.
they do not offer first class mail only priority at 8 bucks and a 5 dollar handling fee on a 6 dollar part

I don't believe Savage will sell you that spring, but no harm in trying. I get mixed results with Savage Customer Service, it depends upon whom you talk to. Some will sell restricted parts if you sign a waiver. Some will not. I've got several that i bought thinking they were actually "target" trigger springs, but they made no difference on my Varmint Accutriggers. PM me if you still want one, I'll send it to you at no charge just to help out a fellow shooter.

One thing you might consider is placing a WANT TO BUY ad on here for a Target Accutrigger, and replace your current trigger. I've done this to several of my bench only rifles that came with the varmint trigger. I really like a 6 oz pull on my bench rifles, and it showed on the targets.

mikeinco
05-08-2019, 10:50 AM
ok. it is 7:45am and i just got back from TIMNEY triggers.
i have a 1.5 lb trigger with a working safety something RIFLE BASIX CLAIMED but did not produce.
SAVAGE WILL NOT SELL TRIGGER PARTS...only to ffl's that then jack up the price and resell them.
bbl blank, not a prefit,will be here monday, scope on friday, not sure on the stock.

Dave Hoback
05-08-2019, 01:03 PM
ok. it is 7:45am and i just got back from TIMNEY triggers.
i have a 1.5 lb trigger with a working safety something RIFLE BASIX CLAIMED but did not produce.
SAVAGE WILL NOT SELL TRIGGER PARTS...only to ffl's that then jack up the price and resell them.
bbl blank, not a prefit,will be here monday, scope on friday, not sure on the stock.

Did you have them set something up for you? Interested in your specs. Far as the bbl blank..do you have your own lathe to turn yourself, or are you having someone do it?

mikeinco
05-08-2019, 02:30 PM
I DO MY OWN LATHE WORK
build my own rifles
since the RIFLE(less than)BASIX was such a pos, and i wanted both a low pull and a working safety
i had them install this trigger.
i have done a ton of 700's and ar triggers, but not so on savage.

Did you have them set something up for you? Interested in your specs. Far as the bbl blank..do you have your own lathe to turn yourself, or are you having someone do it?

Dave Hoback
05-08-2019, 04:28 PM
Very, very cool! What profile is your your barrel? Oh and what scope are putting on it?

Savages aren’t any different a concept than any other. Flat polished parallel surfaces, Opposing planes and Arc rotation. But Timney Is a good choice. Have always been fond of them. Looking forward to seeing this rifle completed. Make certain you do a “Build” thread on the home builds forum here.

mikeinco
05-08-2019, 06:14 PM
i should start a new thread
this is a "inexpensive" 2000 yard group and score rifle
boyds varmint stock laminate
stock 111 la recvr plus a thicker recoil lug
timney trigger
krieger mtu 28" bbl 8" straight at 1.250, then taper to .965,
will be match 300 win mag, neck turned, 3/4-24 for 9" suppressor( already own, so no cost)
egw 0 moa hd base, ivey 150 moa adjustable rings( got them 1/2 off) and 12-42x nf scope..(blew the budget there)
object is to shoot 220 solids at over 2800
shot off a hunting bipod and rear bag

Dave Hoback
05-08-2019, 09:25 PM
Sounds sweet! Yes, make sure to do a build thread. I hope to build an ultra long range rig in 7mm-300 in the future.