PDA

View Full Version : 2018 or newer trigger adjust...shorten the spring ?

Pages : 1 [2]

Robinhood
05-08-2019, 11:51 PM
Mr. Miller. What are your thoughts on a 300PRC?

Dave Hoback
05-09-2019, 10:09 AM
Mr. Miller. What are your thoughts on a 300PRC?

You thinking about that cartridge for a future build Rob? I’ve taken a look at it. Certainly dies look promising, although both the 300WM & 300WSM can run the same super high BC pills at equal velocities with an extended throat. And the design of the PRC just screams “Barrel Burner”! On the other hand, Frank Green gives it a “thumbs up”, talks of how awesome it is and even uses it in Open F class comp. He says barrel life is equal to 300WSM. I certainly tend to close my mouth and perk up my ears when Frank G speaks on barrel/cartridge regards...I am planning on using one of his barrels on next go around after all.

Robinhood
05-09-2019, 12:50 PM
You thinking about that cartridge for a future build Rob?

No sir. I was thinking of necking it down to 7mm

mikeinco
05-09-2019, 05:10 PM
i would suggest that if you really mean LONG range, that you rethink the 7.
necking down any case to 7 means higher gas velocity thru the neck and shorter bbl life.
there are no big heavies in 7 mm
for my 2000 yards shooting i am at 230. 220(30's) ,275 and 300(338s) grain bullets
all are super sonic at 2k
26-28" bbls actually truck axles not hunting bbls. 7-8 lbs.
so define long range in your case

No sir. I was thinking of necking it down to 7mm

Dave Hoback
05-09-2019, 09:04 PM
The 7mm Practical is already surpassing 2K yds easily. Both Sierra & Berger have 195gr+ pills with ridiculous BC’s...the Sierra(197gr) being .780 and the Berger at an “other worldly” .814!! That & barrel life has been recorded to and beyond 1200rds. No, 7mm is exactly what I want to do next, as I am not interested in moving on to 338 Lapua, 408 Chey. Or 50BMG. Not interested in supersized actions/barrels, etc.

Necking down the PRC seems like a good idea.

Or...maybe I’ll just say fagetabout, and do a 20mm Anzio (Vulcan) instead!(LOL., kidding of course. Just pointing to the fact there is always BIGGER...FASTER...MORE!! Where do ya draw the line?)

mikeinco
05-09-2019, 10:30 PM
i had friends with both 20 mm and 37 mm.
195 and 197 is still on the light side.( i actually did some ot the testing on the thick wall 180s' for berger)
when you get to 2000 weight is your friend..
your money do as you wish.

The 7mm Practical is already surpassing 2K yds easily. Both Sierra & Berger have 195gr+ pills with ridiculous BC’s...the Sierra(197gr) being .780 and the Berger at an “other worldly” .814!! That & barrel life has been recorded to and beyond 1200rds. No, 7mm is exactly what I want to do next, as I am not interested in moving on to 338 Lapua, 408 Chey. Or 50BMG. Not interested in supersized actions/barrels, etc.

Necking down the PRC seems like a good idea.

Or...maybe I’ll just say fagetabout, and do a 20mm Anzio (Vulcan) instead!(LOL., kidding of course. Just pointing to the fact there is always BIGGER...FASTER...MORE!! Where do ya draw the line?)

Robinhood
05-10-2019, 12:42 AM
Nope, I was kidding Dave. I have no intentions of shooting that far. I got into Archery so my big shots are 70 yards. That is a challenge like nothing else Ive ever done.

Dave Hoback
05-10-2019, 08:55 AM
i had friends with both 20 mm and 37 mm.
195 and 197 is still on the light side.( i actually did some ot the testing on the thick wall 180s' for berger)
when you get to 2000 weight is your friend..
your money do as you wish.

Not simply about weight Mike, you know that. The Berger 7mm 195gr has a G7 BC of .387 which is 5% higher than your 230gr. Not my words....I’m simply repeating Berger’s printed information. But you are correct that each of us has our own agenda’s choice. And I also agree with Rob..While I would like to engage at up to a mile, I won’t pretend that up to/beyond 2K yds in anyway is in my foreseeable future. Just, eventually I want a caliber that will do One Mile easily. Also, competition serves me no interest any longer either. (Never rifle, but pistol) Even then, I found instruction was more my cup of joe!

Dave Hoback
05-10-2019, 09:03 AM
Nope, I was kidding Dave. I have no intentions of shooting that far. I got into Archery so my big shots are 70 yards. That is a challenge like nothing else Ive ever done.

Want to hear something nuts? Right before my accident in June, 2014, for several months actually, I had been researching Bows. I was just about ready to drop the hammer on one, as anywhere around here in Philadelphia, bow hunting reigns supreme. And I was itching to fill my freezer with the huge, corn fed doe we have. But God had other plans for me.

Robinhood
05-10-2019, 11:49 AM
God has placed trails on many of us Dave. It is the way a sculptor works.

Sad thing is about a good bow and a compliment paraphernalia; arrows, broad heads, sight, quiver, release etc... it ends up as much a a quality rifle with decent optics.

Dave Hoback
05-10-2019, 12:56 PM
You are absolutely correct my friend! And please, I hope it doesn’t sound as I am complaining. Not by a long shot. I am truly blessed by The Father above. Just that it struck me as a coincidence.

I hear ya on that! I spent maybe 5-6 months investing myself in learning bow tech during that time. Obviously I stopped at that point. I was likely researching THAT day, it was June 4th, and then I was in the hospital for 2 months. So that day was the last I spent learning bows. And I’m sure SO much has evolved with the technology since. I can’t even imagine. I do recall how in aww I was at the velocity being achieved THEN..2014. Fascinating stuff!