PDA

View Full Version : Replacement barrels?

Pages : [1] 2

Coyote_Hunter
03-24-2019, 10:10 AM
Looking for info on replacement barrels. Have been looking at the usual suspects including Criterion, Shilen, McGowen, E.R. Shaw, X-Caliber.

EABO (E. Authur Brown) also has barrels. I think their "Accuracy' barrels are E.R. Shaw. Curious about their standard barrels as well.

Your experience with these or others?

Robinhood
03-24-2019, 10:21 AM
Depends on your expectations and intended use. If you plan on shooting a lot, for the money, Shilen or Excaliber. Nothing wrong with a Criterion or McGowan either. Bartlien, Kreiger, Brux and several more can be had also if you are planning on competing at a higher level. Bugholes.com

Shaw's can be accurate but the quality of the bores are in a different League than the others mentioned. Cleaning is required more often. I think I would buy a Wilson before a Shaw. This is my opinion based on experience.

jim_k
03-24-2019, 11:12 AM
My only experience is with the factory Savage takeoff barrels, and they have shot under 0.37" for 5 shots, or better. My best 5 shot group ever was with one, in 6.5 Creedmoor, and it measured 0.165". The first four shots in that group were 0.020". I've shot two in 6.5 CM, and 3 in .308 Win. One of those is a 22" blued chrome moly with a muzzle diameter of 0.57".

darkker
03-24-2019, 01:07 PM
I'm with Robinhood. Sticking with major brands, the "cheap" tend to be perfectly accurate for most shooters; but are rough. So will take a bunch of shooting before they smooth out and calm down; relative to a big name super-ultra-match-xtreme.:cool:

So, if just looking for hunting, plinking, varminting; any will do; just how often are you willing to clean for a while?

Coyote_Hunter
03-25-2019, 08:18 AM
Primary end purpose will be same as for my other hunting rifles - hunting. Antelope, deer and elk.

To that end, most shooting will be at the range. Favorite targets are lay pigeons on the 500 and 600 yard berms. No formal competition, but I'm not satisfied unless a rifle will consistently print MOA or better at 100 on clam days. Smaller makes me happier.

Still have not decided on cartridge. Leading candidates are 6.5PRC (even though this is a long action rifle), 6.5-06AI, 26 Nosler, .270 Win and .28 Nosler.

Already have a variety of suitable rifles in .257 Roberts, 6.5-06AI (heavy barrel), .280 Rem, 7mm RM, .308, .30-06, .300WM, .338WM. Looking for low recoil, relatively lightweight build.

jims
03-25-2019, 10:02 AM
I was going to say 25-06AI but that might be a bit on the light side for elk.

SageRat Shooter
03-25-2019, 10:52 AM
Primary end purpose will be same as for my other hunting rifles - hunting. Antelope, deer and elk.

To that end, most shooting will be at the range. Favorite targets are lay pigeons on the 500 and 600 yard berms. No formal competition, but I'm not satisfied unless a rifle will consistently print MOA or better at 100 on clam days. Smaller makes me happier.

Still have not decided on cartridge. Leading candidates are 6.5PRC (even though this is a long action rifle), 6.5-06AI, 26 Nosler, .270 Win and .28 Nosler.

Already have a variety of suitable rifles in .257 Roberts, 6.5-06AI (heavy barrel), .280 Rem, 7mm RM, .308, .30-06, .300WM, .338WM. Looking for low recoil, relatively lightweight build.

So, the 6.5 PRC isn't going to do anything your 6.5-06AI or the 26 Nosler won't... the 270 is too close in performance to the 6.5-06AI and the 280 Rem. The 28 Nosler isn't going to be much different than your 7MM. Through in that you want it to be a light/low recoil and lightweight build, you won't find something that's going to be good for Elk (other than the ones you already have like 308, 30-06, 280 Rem, 300 WM, 338WM)

So that leaves me with only the .243AI, 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Remington. I've only had experience with Criterion as an aftermarket barrel maker (I have 3) but I can tell you, they are all .5MOA shooters (with me as the nut pulling the trigger) and I won't need to look anywhere else for my barrels... So, there's my .02 and If you want to hunt Elk, then grab one of your bigger calibers.

Coyote_Hunter
03-25-2019, 07:41 PM
SageRat Shooter -

My current 6.5-06AI beats the 6.5PRC in velocity and uses fire-formed .25-06 brass. Accuracy is excellent with about 40-45% hit rate on clay pigeons at 600 yards last time I tried. The problem is it is a heavy-barrel with a laminate stock - not something I want to carry around, although I've taken antelope with it. Another 6.5 Something would be lighter weight for carry purposes. Because my rifle is a long action, though, I would prefer a long cartridge for (stupid) aesthetic reasons.

Agreed the .270 is close to the 6.5-06AI, .280 and 7mm RM. But I don't have one. I DO have a couple of very good .270 Win loads I developed for Daughter #1, though. A good 500-yard elk load with under 18 ft-lbs recoil. :)

Forgot to mention I have a Savage FXP3 in .243 Win. Shoots bug holes.

Short-action cartridges other than the 6.5PRC are probably a no-go.

Not worried about elk with anything 6.5 or above and the 142g AccuBond (.625 B.C.). H hunted them with my .257 Roberts, .30-30, .375 Win, .45-70. Some rifles let me take longer range shots, is all, but I've taken them from 25 yards to 487.

The 26 Nosler is looking better and better as I can download it or load it to the gills. And barrels are plentiful, unlike 6.5-06AI. Just wish brass was more available/cheaper.

The .270 has been ticking up in the list - plentiful barrels, cheap brass, 150g AccuBond (.591 B.C.) and I already have the dies.

Half the fun is deciding. Kind of like hunting elk - the fun stops when you pull the trigger. :)

Edited to add: I prefer a 22-24" barrel.

scootergisme
03-25-2019, 07:51 PM
SageRat Shooter -

The .270 has been ticking up in the list - plentiful barrels, cheap brass, 150g AccuBond (.591 B.C.) and I already have the dies.

.270 Winchester gets my vote!

SageRat Shooter
03-26-2019, 10:08 AM
SageRat Shooter -

Short-action cartridges other than the 6.5PRC are probably a no-go.

Not worried about elk with anything 6.5 or above and the 142g AccuBond (.625 B.C.). H hunted them with my .257 Roberts, .30-30, .375 Win, .45-70. Some rifles let me take longer range shots, is all, but I've taken them from 25 yards to 487.

The 26 Nosler is looking better and better as I can download it or load it to the gills. And barrels are plentiful, unlike 6.5-06AI. Just wish brass was more available/cheaper.

Half the fun is deciding. Kind of like hunting elk - the fun stops when you pull the trigger. :)

Edited to add: I prefer a 22-24" barrel.

I thought the same thing with my .260 and the 143 ELD-X for hunting Elk (based on ballistics and the 6.5x55 taking moose). That is until I watched a guy shoot a 6 pt Bull Elk with the 6.5 PRC and the 143 ELD-X from 300 yards. He had to shoot it 4 times... The first 3 shots didn't even make the Elk flinch... Sounds like that .270 might be what you wind up building. the .270 with a 24" barrel will get that bullet moving2900-3000 fps. I had a .270, but I tore it apart to build the .260 Rem.

Robinhood
03-26-2019, 06:30 PM
The OP's question was on aftermarket barrels. Then it became about cartridges. Game on.

6, 243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Sweede, 25 souper, 25-06.

Ryfulman
03-26-2019, 07:53 PM
I thought the same thing with my .260 and the 143 ELD-X for hunting Elk (based on ballistics and the 6.5x55 taking moose). That is until I watched a guy shoot a 6 pt Bull Elk with the 6.5 PRC and the 143 ELD-X from 300 yards. He had to shoot it 4 times... The first 3 shots didn't even make the Elk flinch... Sounds like that .270 might be what you wind up building. the .270 with a 24" barrel will get that bullet moving2900-3000 fps. I had a .270, but I tore it apart to build the .260 Rem.
Sectional density is critical when it comes to bullet performance along with the type of construction being appropriate for the type of game being hunted.
I don’t have any experience with the new eld bullets. I use either the sst or the interlock line up from hornady. We’ve never had that 4 shot problem. I wonder if it was the bullets that didn’t expand properly or what happened.
The sst and interbond perform very similar except the interbond has a lead tip which helps penetrate a bit farther before total expansion occurs. Put it in the boiler room and game expires very quickly due to vitals turning into chunky soup.
As far as barrels go I don’t take chances so I buy known quality even if it costs more.

snowgetter1
03-26-2019, 09:14 PM
22-250 AI with a fast twist barrel. That will pop your pigeons. My next barrel with be one on my RPR.

Ryfulman
03-26-2019, 09:54 PM
22-250 AI with a fast twist barrel. That will pop your pigeons. My next barrel with be one on my RPR.
I built a 7 twist 22-250 with a 26” shilen match stainless steel barrel. Truly incredible what these 22 cals are capable of when there’s enough twist to stabilize the 90-95 grain pills. My next one will be the 6.5 twist shilen with their ratchet rifling. My 260 has that rifling profile. And that rifle prints in the 0.2s. I’ve really taken to these shilen barrels. And the beauty of the barrel nut means high quality prefit barrels that doesn’t need a gunsmith to swap.
Lovin’ it.

SageRat Shooter
03-27-2019, 10:30 AM
Sectional density is critical when it comes to bullet performance along with the type of construction being appropriate for the type of game being hunted.
I don’t have any experience with the new eld bullets. I use either the sst or the interlock line up from hornady. We’ve never had that 4 shot problem. I wonder if it was the bullets that didn’t expand properly or what happened.
The sst and interbond perform very similar except the interbond has a lead tip which helps penetrate a bit farther before total expansion occurs. Put it in the boiler room and game expires very quickly due to vitals turning into chunky soup.
As far as barrels go I don’t take chances so I buy known quality even if it costs more.

I'm not sure exactly what the issue was, I would think that it's because the bullet opens up too quickly?? I haven't had a chance to test the 143 ELD-X on any game yet, so I don't know how it performs on even light bodied critters like coyote, fox, badger etc... It's supposed to be designed for hunting Deer & Elk according to Hornady. Take a look for yourself at the 4 shot 6.5 PRC Elk harvest. Link is attached below, shots take place at around the 30:30 mark and on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUyhwnaLEtA

wbm
03-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Have had all the OP listed barrels except x-caliber. For general hunting and non competition range shooting I personally would go with a Criterion.

Texas10
03-27-2019, 05:21 PM
To the OP's original question:

I've only had one EABCO accuracy barrel, a 6.5 CM that shot very accurately....for about 3 or 4 rounds since clean. Then it coppered up and groups began opening. Great for a hunting rifle in that it's a lot cheaper than a better quality barrel, however just don't look too closely at the lands and grooves, as you'll see rail road tracks. I have a picture taken from an endoscope looking in the muzzle that shows the rifling, as far as the camera could see was almost entirely copper colored. This after just 4 rounds since clean.

Maybe I got a turd, but I will never know as i'm down to X-caliber, Shilen, and Criterion barrels to shoot targets. I do have two factory Savage barrels, a 223 and a 308 that shoot remarkably well and don't copper up too bad.

Coyote_Hunter
03-29-2019, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure exactly what the issue was, I would think that it's because the bullet opens up too quickly?? I haven't had a chance to test the 143 ELD-X on any game yet, so I don't know how it performs on even light bodied critters like coyote, fox, badger etc... It's supposed to be designed for hunting Deer & Elk according to Hornady. Take a look for yourself at the 4 shot 6.5 PRC Elk harvest. Link is attached below, shots take place at around the 30:30 mark and on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUyhwnaLEtA

Watched the video. Was not impressed with the shooting, which occurred at about 280 yards per the video. One shot in the right ham, one in the gut, one afterwards that looked like good placement, nor sure where the other went.

If he was hunting in Colorado, he broke the law by discussing the elk on his phone or radio.

280 yards is well withing lethal range for a 6.5PRC. Don't know what bullets were used, but about any should work at that range.

SageRat Shooter
03-29-2019, 05:10 PM
Roger that.... I'm not up to snuff on Colorado law, so don't know about the legality of the phone or radio. That guy either used the 143 ELD-X or the 147 ELD-M (not sure which though). I was with you on the 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington, 6.5 PRC being capable on Elk, but those results just didn't sit well with me... Especially, after I shot a 5 pt. bull with a 168 Barnes TTSX (2800 FPS)out of my 30-06 from 150 yards right through the heart, and he still ran 250-300 yards before he went down.

Makes me remember an old saying I heard about Elk hunting cartridges "An Elk cartridge should start with a 3 and end with two 00.... One 0 on the way in and one 0 on the way out.... I know the ballistics for the 6.5 says it will absolutely carry enough energy to kill Elk, I just feel more confident in the .30 calibers...

Bigfoot
04-20-2019, 12:56 AM
I am sure that those are all fine barrels and I am relatively new to re-barreling a savage bolt action. I am working on a 110 CL donor 30-06 soon to be a 25-06 26 inch 1/9 barrel from Columbia River Arms AKA Black Hole Weaponry. I have built several AR 10's with 24 inch barrels from them that are extremely accurate and comparing a 6.5 creedmoor over a caldwell chronograph against a savage bolt my AR shot consistently 150 to 200 fps faster using federal premium gold out of the same box. Does anyone else have any experience with the polygonal barrels? I am really looking forward to see what this sweetheart will do with 110 to 120 gr bullets.