PDA

View Full Version : Replacement barrels?

Pages : 1 [2]

darkker
04-20-2019, 09:01 AM
Roger that.... I'm not up to snuff on Colorado law, so don't know about the legality of the phone or radio. That guy either used the 143 ELD-X or the 147 ELD-M (not sure which though). I was with you on the 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington, 6.5 PRC being capable on Elk, but those results just didn't sit well with me... Especially, after I shot a 5 pt. bull with a 168 Barnes TTSX (2800 FPS)out of my 30-06 from 150 yards right through the heart, and he still ran 250-300 yards before he went down.
... I know the ballistics for the 6.5 says it will absolutely carry enough energy to kill Elk,...

If you want to make them reliably drop and never move, hit the CNS, or spinal structure. Heart and lung shots don't de-oxygenate the blood stream instantly, and doesn't kill brain function like a light switch.

Also, in the context of hunting, forget the word "energy".
"Energy" is a theoretical number assigned by technical calculations, and idiots who write for gun magazines; and trashbags on social media who can't hold better than a 12" group at 280 yards, directed at the non-vital organ end of the animal. :mad:

Reliable bullet upset and expansion is directly driven by velocity, not energy and not the Easter Bunny. When tipped bullets splash on game, it isn't because they have to much evergy. It's because the velocity is to high for how lightly constructed they are, PERIOD.
When I was still in Idaho, and lived off deer and elk meat. Even drew a moose tag, and I didn't have mules or horses to pack out anything, just my Chevro-legs.
A very sedately loaded 260, firing 140gr Hot-Cor bullets only takes 1 properly placed shot to kill all of those animals.

Bigfoot
04-20-2019, 01:19 PM
I have to agree that shot placement counts way more than anything else. Personally I am found of accubonds but SST and game kings are just as deadly. I used to prefer head shots but over the years I have had many more lung shots, even my little 6.8 with 100 gr accubond puts them down and they don't get up. A heart shot for instance will get you a messy up to 400 yard scramble but I have never had one get up from a lung shot. I don't know about moose, they might be a different story.

varget204
04-30-2019, 02:37 AM
Bought a Criterion Savage SS Match barrel, Match Chamber, cost $300 plus $19 for shipping,took 12 weeks to make it,borescoped it,looked as good as a New Krieger barrel,Shoots as good as the Krieger for less than 1/2 the cost.The Krieger was over $700 took almost one year to get.Highly recommend Criterion Savage Pre Fit Barrels

Coyote_Hunter
06-04-2019, 01:03 AM
Thanks. Have been looking at Criterion among others. Also Ragged Hole, who claim to use the same grade Wilson barrels used by Cooper for their Savage prefits. Match grade, air-gauged to .0002". (Cooper has a .5"@100 guarantee. Wilson owns Cooper.)

Have been narrowing down the options for choice of cartridge.

.270 WSM is out due to shank size.

26/28/30 Nosler are out. Too much powder consumption and recoil.

.300PRC is out for same reason as Nosler.

.270 Win is still an option. Daughter's .270 does 2912 with Nosler 150g and less-than-max charge of H100V. Excellent downrange ballistics, beats 6.5PRC out to about 1,000.

.280 Rem AI is in the running, partly so I could run heavier bullets, partly because I have a boatload of 7mm bullets. But I also have a .280 Rem and 7mm RM.

6.5 PRC is still the leader - excellent ballistics, light recoil. Plus no changes needed to bolt head or cartridge follower. Simple I like.

The idea of using a 6.5 for elk doesn't bother me. A 140-143g bullet has as much or more energy at 500 yards (~1600fpe) than a .30-30/150g has at 100 or a .308Win/150g has at 400.

For that matter, the 6.5PRC has more energy at 500 than some of the 7mm RM loads I've used very successfully for elk over the years.

Bunky-Shooter
06-10-2019, 07:33 AM
I use to use a 260 Rem. but now using 6.5 SLR/S !!! Attributes of the 6.5 Super LR:

- Top powder capacity for top velocity
- Long Neck
- Competition Proven 30 Degree Shoulder Angle
- Excellent Base Brass Available
- Very Easy To Make
- No Neck Turning or Initial Trimming Required

can be made from 243, 260 or 7mm-08 brass.. Nice round check it out. My
McGowen barrel shoots .25 5 shot groups...