PDA

View Full Version : Who has a goood rabbit recipe?

Pages : [1] 2

Sled
03-03-2019, 12:11 PM
Anyone?

scootergisme
03-03-2019, 12:34 PM
What are your tastebuds craving? Fried, grilled, smoked or something else?

12bhunting
03-03-2019, 12:49 PM
I like to wrap them in foil on the grill. Salt, pepper, bell peppers, sweet onions, jalapenos and butter. Them little straps come out pretty tasty.

Sled
03-03-2019, 01:58 PM
What are your tastebuds craving? Fried, grilled, smoked or something else?
Just anything. I've only had rabbit once, I really don't enjoy shooting them because they are so "cute", but I would like to compile some of the best game recipes for the coming Zombie Apocalypse. What I had was fried. I am a huge fan of smoking meat (travelled to Texas to get my Pitmaker Pit), but never really considered smoking wild meat, as I always thought it would be too dry. Now beef, pork and chicken.... I'm all over smoking that.

scootergisme
03-03-2019, 02:13 PM
Everything fried is good! A guide to a party menu: If it's fried get double, if it's green your in trouble!!! My family enjoys them grilled. Quarter them up, put your favorite seasoning on them (mine is Daddy Hinkles) and grill them. Everything smoked is good. I have smoked a lot of different meats, as you know the key is low and slow. I can put water (or juice) is a pan in the bottom of my smoker that helps keeps moisture in the meat. Now I want something smoked...............

jpdown
03-03-2019, 02:45 PM
Fried is hard to beat. Get hold of some Kentucky Kernel Seasoned flour. Flour and brown in cast iron skillet. Make up some milk gravy using 1 part milk to 1 part sour cream. Pour gravy over fried rabbit in crockpot and cook on low until tender. All wild and domestic meat rolled and fried in Kentucky Kernel Seasoned flour is just plain “finger licking good”.

Sled
03-03-2019, 03:39 PM
Now we're talking....:cool:

big honkin jeep
03-03-2019, 03:39 PM
I always par boil them before frying by putting them in a pot of water, bringing it to a boil, turning off the stove and letting them tenderize in their broth. Then I'll take them out and give them a buttermilk bath while I season the flour and make a batch of biscuits. Then dredge them up and fry them. When they're done I'll put the heat on medium low add some flour and a thinly sliced onion to make a roux with a little of the fry oil and tidbits left in the pan, Then add the rabbit broth and stir constantly to make gravy. The gravy formula is 442. 4 tablespoons of oil, 4 tablespoons of flour, 2 cups of broth.
Dang I'm getting hungry

12bhunting
03-03-2019, 03:42 PM
Zombie Apocalypse recipes? Hehe in that case I'd say hold rabbit over fire...

Sled
03-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Zombie Apocalypse recipes? Hehe in that case I'd say hold rabbit over fire...

Worked for Jeremiah Johnson....

Monkeymaster
03-03-2019, 06:14 PM
Dredge with flour then put in frying pan with hot oil, cook on high 3 to 4 minutes then flip, dust with more flour, salt, pepper on cooked side, flip in 3 to 4 minutes cook another 3 minutes each side, total of 6 to 8 minutes each side, then pour out extra oil, pour in can of chicken broth, cover then simmer 15 minutes, flip, simmer 15 minutes flip total cook time 1 hour flipping every 15 minutes, extra large rabbits, like caged rabbits may need about 3 to 4 minutes added to flip times after the chicken broth is added.
Eat em up

mark r
04-02-2019, 10:15 AM
For something simple and fast: cut rabbit up and add to salted water containing onions. Boil 10-15 minutes. drain, season and fry until tender. remove rabbit from pan. add flour and water to drippings and simmer until gravy is done.

DesertDug
04-02-2019, 01:29 PM
Dredge with flour then put in frying pan with hot oil, cook on high 3 to 4 minutes then flip, dust with more flour, salt, pepper on cooked side, flip in 3 to 4 minutes cook another 3 minutes each side, total of 6 to 8 minutes each side, then pour out extra oil, pour in can of chicken broth, cover then simmer 15 minutes, flip, simmer 15 minutes flip total cook time 1 hour flipping every 15 minutes, extra large rabbits, like caged rabbits may need about 3 to 4 minutes added to flip times after the chicken broth is added.
Eat em up
Monkey master got it right, but, the last hr is stewed in gumbo.

stomp442
04-02-2019, 05:24 PM
40gr CCI Maxi Mag HP out of the Marlin 925. Oh, wait, wrong kind of recipe.

They all sound pretty tasty though.

Robinhood
04-02-2019, 11:56 PM
You need a case of "Slap Ya Momma" for the Apocalypse. Makes fried stuff better.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.southernedition.com%2Fimage%2F SlapYaMamaSeasoning.jpeg&f=1

DesertDug
04-04-2019, 10:14 AM
Good for Crawfish as well, as i noted this passed weekend ...

You need a case of "Slap Ya Momma" for the Apocalypse. Makes fried stuff better.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.southernedition.com%2Fimage%2F SlapYaMamaSeasoning.jpeg&f=1

Retired
01-14-2020, 07:06 PM
I always par boil them before frying by putting them in a pot of water, bringing it to a boil, turning off the stove and letting them tenderize in their broth. Then I'll take them out and give them a buttermilk bath while I season the flour and make a batch of biscuits. Then dredge them up and fry them. When they're done I'll put the heat on medium low add some flour and a thinly sliced onion to make a roux with a little of the fry oil and tidbits left in the pan, Then add the rabbit broth and stir constantly to make gravy. The gravy formula is 442. 4 tablespoons of oil, 4 tablespoons of flour, 2 cups of broth.
Dang I'm getting hungry

THIS ! with a bit less oil a longer buttermilk soak. Awesome!

Fuj'
03-05-2020, 03:32 PM
I don't know how I missed this !! That "Slap yo' Mamma" has a bit
of history. We smoked a clod heart using that evil blend as the rub.
It now has a place of honor on the spice shelf......As for Rabbit ??
6 hour brine, then smoked with black cherry, occasionally mopped
with Teriyaki sauce.

Balvar24
10-27-2020, 04:23 PM
Old thread, but I've always heard throw the little hoppers in a pressure cooker. Not near as tough when they come out.

8mm RUM
10-27-2020, 07:18 PM
Hasenpfeffer

1 large onion, sliced
3 cups white vinegar
3 cups water
1 tablespoon pickling spice
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 bay leaves
8 whole cloves
1 rabbit (2-1/2 pound), skinned, cut into serving-size pieces
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 to 3 tablespoons butter
1 cup sour cream
In a large nonmetallic bowl, combine onion, vinegar, water and seasonings.
Add rabbit pieces; cover and refrigerate for 48 hours, turning occasionally.

Remove meat; strain and reserve marinade. Dry meat well; coat lightly with flour. In a large skillet, melt butter; brown meat well. Gradually add 2 to 2-1/2 cups reserved marinade. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.
Remove meat to a warm platter. Add sour cream to pan juices; stir just until heated through. Spoon over rabbit.