PDA

View Full Version : Used savage 12F, 6.5 creedmoor

Pages : [1] 2

Spudgun
07-30-2018, 06:39 PM
Ok, I have a chance to purchase a used Savage 12FV, 6.5 Creedmoor, Nikon P-308 BDC scope. We took this gun in on trade at the shop I work at. Gun manufactured in 2017, bull barrel w/target crown. Has plastic stock and is in like new condition. The person that traded it in told me he wanted a different shooting platform, Savage model 10 stealth.

I am looking for a 6.5 Creedmoor and have been looking at the Bergara B14, MHR and the Savage 10 stealth. I can purchase this gun for about $250.00 less than the Bergara and model 10 would cost me.

I want to get into long range shooing 600 yds. I am not going to be competing in competition just having fun. I have been looking at the Boyds AT-0ne stock for $180.00 to replace the synthetic stock.

Anyone have the model 12FV savage?

Looking for some recommendations.

RustyShackle
07-30-2018, 09:09 PM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?46164-Cabela-s-Savage-12FV-THREAD-FEST

does anyone have one. Lol.

Only about 90 pages worth of reading!

Welcome to the forum!

charlie b
07-30-2018, 11:45 PM
I'd shoot it as is first just to see what it does. You may be surprised. Then decide what you want to change.

PS I second a Boyd's stock. My Axis is wearing one now (ProVarmint) cause I wanted wood and a heavier stock. It didn't shrink groups that much, it just made it easier for me to hold the rifle on target.

Spudgun
07-31-2018, 11:01 AM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?46164-Cabela-s-Savage-12FV-THREAD-FEST

does anyone have one. Lol.

Only about 90 pages worth of reading!

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the direction.

After 4 cups of coffee this morning I read all the pages.

It took me to get to page 87 before I found info on 6.5 creedmoor.

Lot of Cabela's bashing, I know the drill (worked for 4 months selling guns at Cabela's).

O'well, the coffee was good.

Robinhood
07-31-2018, 11:02 PM
I have as much fun with a can of hairspray and a spudgun than I do with a savage

Spudgun
08-01-2018, 07:47 AM
I have as much fun with a can of hairspray and a spudgun than I do with a savage

Don't use hairspray, thats old school.

Old Spice body spray or Glade air freshener, is the non sticky solution to spudgun fun.

How do I know, been selling them for over 22 years on the internet.

www.spudgun.com

TXRoadlizard
08-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Depending on what the shop-price is... I wouldn't pay more than about $275 for a used on when you can get them at that price on sale and with rebates.

PhilC
08-01-2018, 04:02 PM
Depending on what the shop-price is... I wouldn't pay more than about $275 for a used on when you can get them at that price on sale and with rebates.
^^^^This^^^^

Evlshnngns
08-01-2018, 05:13 PM
There is no promise the rebates will be that good this year or any other. What your are getting at 420$ at Cabelas is a bargain for how it shoots.

Spudgun
08-01-2018, 08:14 PM
I know it's a Cablea's exclusive gun. Savage does not even list this gun on there current website. My out the door price will be $450, with the Nikon p-308 scope. I know someone that will buy the scope, so end $$'s will be around $300.00.

This way I don't have to back into Cablea's (I worked at the gun counter for 4 months).

BB68
08-01-2018, 09:45 PM
I am too fixated on spudguns now to add any 12fv convo.... Rifled barrels .. just trying to fathom how much more trouble we would have gotten in.... good times

mnbogboy2
08-03-2018, 10:12 PM
I am too fixated on spudguns now to add any 12fv convo.... Rifled barrels .. just trying to fathom how much more trouble we would have gotten in.... good times

We were "savages" as kids so I am starting a new post up in Daily Humor about our version of the "spud gun"!
Randy

Robinhood
08-04-2018, 05:40 PM
Don't use hairspray, thats old school.

www.spudgun.com (http://www.spudgun.com)

I am old school.

Spudgun
08-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Well, the Savage 12 FV came through today.

Today was my qualification for the 600 yd range. Yesterday I installed the PST II scope, took it to a 100 yd range and fired 6 shots to sight it in then came home and reloaded 50 rounds. This morning I needed to hit a 12x12 steel at 350, 400, 450, 500, 550 and 600 yds, with only 10 shots at each stage.

This is the 3rd time I have fired this gun and only on 100 yd range. It was a challenge as the stock cheek pad and butt pad did not fit me right.

BUT I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not bad for a 70 yr old with high blood pressure.

Going to replace the stock with Boyd's AT-One stock. I have used Boyd's wood on one of my AR-15's and really like to look.

Sleeper99
08-05-2018, 08:43 PM
I have a 12fv in a Boyd’s at one. Make sure when you order that you specify the wider barrel channel or call and speak to someone. The standard barrel channel on the Boyd’s will not accommodate the 12fv barrel contour without a lot of sanding and elbow grease. Mine turned out well though.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180806/f583eca27419fcac025855147213ef26.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mnbogboy2
08-05-2018, 09:35 PM
Good shooting Spudgun! I'm not far behind you and between eyes and aches & pains some days it's tough shooting like one would like to.
Randy

Spudgun
08-06-2018, 08:03 AM
I have a 12fv in a Boyd’s at one. Make sure when you order that you specify the wider barrel channel or call and speak to someone. The standard barrel channel on the Boyd’s will not accommodate the 12fv barrel contour without a lot of sanding and elbow grease. Mine turned out well though.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180806/f583eca27419fcac025855147213ef26.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. On there website they list 4 kinds of stocks. 2, for bull barrels with blind mag and different receiver screw spacing and 2 for normal barrels with different receiver screw spacing. My gun has detachable staggered mag with bull barrel. Not sure which one with bull barrel to order. going to call them today..

How was the bedding pillars? Did you bed them of good fit?

Sleeper99
08-06-2018, 10:47 AM
You will need to measure the distance between your action screws if you don’t know if your rifle is stagger feed or center feed. I think all the 12fv actions are centerfeed but don’t quote me on that. Your better off taking a measure and making sure before you call to order. You will need the bull barrel version and my guess is the 4.4” centerfeed model. Also the at one stocks are set up for a blind magazine so you will have to order that part from savage. To my knowledge all of the 12FV’s were blind mag rifles. Are you sure you have a 12FV? Perhaps some pictures would help.

Spudgun
08-06-2018, 04:01 PM
I measured the distance between the mounting screws and it is the 4 7/16".

I think the one I need it the blind mag, center feed, bull barrel.

The other option is 4 9/32" between mounting screws and mine is more than that.

The mag does stay in the stock when removed.

However it is a staggered mag (like a AR mag and not single stack) Not sure what staggered feed means in this case.

Can't seem to figure out how to upload images into the text. I think I can only up load from a URL address, like photo bucket.

TXRoadlizard
08-06-2018, 04:10 PM
I measured the distance between the mounting screws and it is the 4 7/16".

I think the one I need it the blind mag, center feed, bull barrel.

The other option is 4 9/32" between mounting screws and mine is more than that.

The mag does stay in the stock when removed.

However it is a staggered mag (like a AR mag and not single stack) Not sure what staggered feed means in this case.

Can't seem to figure out how to upload images into the text. I think I can only up load from a URL address, like photo bucket.

Everything I've seen, "stagger feed" the magazine stays attached to the action when removing from stock. If your mag stays in the stock, it is a center feed.