PDA

View Full Version : Used savage 12F, 6.5 creedmoor

Pages : 1 [2]

Spudgun
08-06-2018, 04:42 PM
I talked to Savage tech dept and I dont think they know what is what.

They claim that a center feed is like a single stack mag and the stagger feed is like a AR-15 mag.

Big frigg'n mystery...

I sent a email with pic's to Boyd's to see if they know.

RustyShackle
08-06-2018, 06:12 PM
It is most likely a center feed. The difference isn’t that the cartridges sit staggered because they do in both, however the centerfeed necks it down where only one cartridge is in the neck of the magazine.

Spudgun
08-06-2018, 07:37 PM
Just got a email back from Boyds.

They say it's a short action, blind mag, center feed, bull barrel.

So i just ordered it and we will see.

Now I want to convert to single shot mag, but the conversion piece will not fit my mag.

Giong to have to make something up as I do not want to use the blind mag in the new stock.

Read somewhere that someone filled the mag area with a hard foam and converted it to single shot.

Should be be a big deal to do it.

mnbogboy2
08-06-2018, 08:42 PM
I have made several single shots from centerfeeds.
First I make a "plate" from a piece of 1/8" plexiglass that just fits the cut_out at the bottom of the action. When a cartridge lays on it the bolt does not touch it but does catch the case easily. This plate can also be made from aluminum.
I then cut a wood block to fit the mag well in the stock. The block needs to hold the plate up against the bottom of the action (snug but not tight).
It took a few trys on the first one but once you get the "feel" for it they are pretty simple.
You need no fasteners and simple to re-install when you have the action out of the stock.
The small calibers like .223 & .221 fireball are a little trickier. You might have to "glue" an extra thickness of plexi on top of the plate.
I have never tried these with a magnum caliber so I don't know how they would work. But cartridges like .260, 6.5 creed, 257 Bob AI and 30-06 all work well, just throw in the case and push it home.
My .02,
Randy

Sleeper99
08-06-2018, 09:41 PM
Why can’t you just throw a cartridge in and push it home with the mag in the stock and use it like a single shot? Am I missing something? I keep two in a short action Precision side mount in case the stage called for 12 as I run 10 round me mags and just throw these in and close the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spudgun
08-07-2018, 07:28 AM
Why can’t you just throw a cartridge in and push it home with the mag in the stock and use it like a single shot? Am I missing something? I keep two in a short action Precision side mount in case the stage called for 12 as I run 10 round me mags and just throw these in and close the bolt.

On this gun, if you just lay the round on top of the follower it will jam and not feed correctly. You need to push the bullet into the chamber and then slide the bolt home.

Not a big deal but each bullet you need to look and place it correctly to feed.

Not that I am going to rapid fire at long distances just want to make it easier.

Sleeper99
08-07-2018, 04:34 PM
On this gun, if you just lay the round on top of the follower it will jam and not feed correctly. You need to push the bullet into the chamber and then slide the bolt home.

Not a big deal but each bullet you need to look and place it correctly to feed.

Not that I am going to rapid fire at long distances just want to make it easier.

My apologies sir, you are correct. I guess through practice I have just gotten used to dropping them in with the tip of the bullet either in the chamber or facing in that direction.

Spudgun
08-07-2018, 09:26 PM
My apologies sir, you are correct. I guess through practice I have just gotten used to dropping them in with the tip of the bullet either in the chamber or facing in that direction.

No harm no foul...

On my Rem 700 it is that way just drop and shove.

I shoould be able to make something work.