PDA

View Full Version : 10" Gong from 857 Yards.... Tips, tricks, suggestions?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

LoneWolf
05-29-2018, 11:03 AM
Note on wind: This is how I do it for matches when shooting on the clock. Say wind is 5-8mph and my wind bracket for that shot is .3-.6mils for wind hold. I'll mil the horizontal across the target and let say it's .6mils across. I now know if I hold .3mils center I may miss off the edge of the target because my wind bracket is already .3mils wide. I'll hold .4mils on center target and even if the wind picks up or lets off I still have .1mils on either side of my bracket to keep the round on target.

Hopefully that paragraph makes sense to you. If not I can further break it down.

SageRat Shooter
05-29-2018, 11:19 AM
Note on wind: This is how I do it for matches when shooting on the clock. Say wind is 5-8mph and my wind bracket for that shot is .3-.6mils for wind hold. I'll mil the horizontal across the target and let say it's .6mils across. I now know if I hold .3mils center I may miss off the edge of the target because my wind bracket is already .3mils wide. I'll hold .4mils on center target and even if the wind picks up or lets off I still have .1mils on either side of my bracket to keep the round on target.

Hopefully that paragraph makes sense to you. If not I can further break it down.

Can we PM discuss this a little further? I work in MOA as apposed to Mils, but I don't fully understand bracketing the wind... I get the general basic idea of what it is, but I don't know how to apply it to my shooting. Is this where having a Kestrel Ballistic calculator would be of benefit?

LoneWolf
05-29-2018, 11:36 AM
A wind meter helps a lot. Having a wind laid out in your ballistic table with values for 5mph, 10mph, 15mph, etc. would be a good start. I like to figure out how much movement I'll see per each additional MPH of wind there is to make my bracket as accurate as possible. The more accurate your input wind factor is the better obviously. But if your guess is that the wind is 1-5 or 5-10mph and you had your chart showing the wind hold for the distance your shooting to you could easily figure it out. your wind bracket might be 3/4moa to 1-1/4moa for example. If the target is 2MOA across I'd hold 1MOA of wind estimating I should have 1/4moa of wiggle room on each side of my wind call.

SageRat Shooter
05-29-2018, 11:57 AM
yeah, ok.... That's kind of what I tried to do... with my example, I had a 0-4 mph wind when I used my wind meter at the target... So I figured if I went with a 2 MPH wind, then I'd be "right in the middle" of that wind... problem was my wind estimation I guess??? cuz I changed it to a "no wind" correction which gave me .7 MOA Left... when I hit the plate it was right side. When I changed my wind in my app to 1/2 mph wind it jumped up to .9 MOA left.

yobuck
05-30-2018, 09:43 AM
yeah, ok.... That's kind of what I tried to do... with my example, I had a 0-4 mph wind when I used my wind meter at the target... So I figured if I went with a 2 MPH wind, then I'd be "right in the middle" of that wind... problem was my wind estimation I guess??? cuz I changed it to a "no wind" correction which gave me .7 MOA Left... when I hit the plate it was right side. When I changed my wind in my app to 1/2 mph wind it jumped up to .9 MOA left.

I have a question SageRat, come hunting season and you have found that nice buck to shoot at, will he be allowing you to walk over and take a wind reading, then walk back and shoot at him?
Sorry, but i just couldn't help myself. lol
Look, so long as you want to enjoy yourself shooting at those targets, you can do it anyway you like and get away with it.
The only one needing to be happy is you.
But if your plan is to utilize your shooting skill for hunting, your gonna quickly find the rules aren't always the same, even hour by hour.
Spotter, I still question your spotter, other things also, but lets stick with the most important things first.
Ask yourself this question and then think on it, when those bombers flew those missions over Germany, who flew the plane while the bombs were being dropped? He became the most important part of the entire mission, but who got all the credit? lol
If your spotter isn't in a position that allows him to follow the trace of the bullets to the target, he isn't helping you.
And if he is, and has the proper optics, then you need a different spotter.
You spot, and let him shoot so you can see what im talking about. Setup about 10' behind the shooter, and maybe slightly off to one side.
Put the target in the bottom half of your spotting scope, and tell the shooter when your ready, or vice versa, but be ready.

SageRat Shooter
05-30-2018, 11:35 AM
YB,

My father is my spotter... He's taught me everything I know up to this point, and he's been doing this longer than you've even been alive. I'll take his wisdom and experience over yours any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

to put it as nicely as possible... I don't know why you even comment on my threads... All I hear is Charlie Brown's teacher

yobuck
05-30-2018, 06:47 PM
YB,

My father is my spotter... He's taught me everything I know up to this point, and he's been doing this longer than you've even been alive. I'll take his wisdom and experience over yours any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

to put it as nicely as possible... I don't know why you even comment on my threads... All I hear is Charlie Brown's teacher

Sorry ive ruffled your feathers, only trying to offer some insight based on my own 50 years of l/r hunting.
But rest assured it wont happen again.

Deadshot2
06-03-2018, 07:27 PM
It is an 8 twist... I spent 2 years researching which way I wanted to go... 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Remington.... I was always leaning more towards the .260 because of 260 Rips on youtube... First time I saw him hit a rabbit at 1000 yards had me going..... "You have got to be kidding me!!"

I just want to be able to do that too.... :thumb:

When I was trying to make up my mind, 6.5 Creed or .260 Rem. I recalled a comment in a write up on the 6.5 Creed, 6.5X47L, and .260 Rem. The writer called it close but said that in his opinion the 6.5 Creedmoor was ".260 done right". I went with the creed because of the 30 degree shoulder angle. I don't trim cases anymore.

As for LR capabilities? I just posted my experience with it while shooting at a steel buffalo 1025 meters down range and regularly hitting the 16" round aim plate attached to it in another thread. Is the Creedmoor superior? Can't say. Don't own the others but it's doing right by me. :p

Stumpkiller
06-03-2018, 11:07 PM
Don't trim cases much with my .260 Rem. Same neck angle as the .308 WIN and .243 WIN (neither notorious for case/neck stretch), and it has a bit more volume than the 6.5 Creedmoor (nice of you want to use the 156 to 160 grain bullets seated deep).

The .260 Rem is the 6.5 x 55mm done right. ;-)

eddiesindian
06-04-2018, 12:31 AM
Sagerat
Keep doing what your doing. Keep an open mind on getting advice on how to call wind. You,ll eventually create your own theory and I'm sure It will work for you. From using anemometer s, to dialing magnification to help see mirage to apps. You,ll get it. Imo, you'll probably simplify
the process and not over think it. I live in the southwestern part of Texas, from wide open to mountainess canons with blowing winds that seem to never stop.
The more you practice while shooting under wind conditions the closer you'll be. Imho. ...its not an exact science. Too many variables.

Robinhood
06-04-2018, 07:27 AM
Sorry ive ruffled your feathers, only trying to offer some insight based on my own 50 years of l/r hunting.
But rest assured it wont happen again.

Lies, all lies.

If there is someone on this forum who like me, can't avoid giving opinions, it is thee.

Haha

Edit: ...and maybe the deadly StumpKilla

LoneWolf
06-04-2018, 08:24 AM
Lies, all lies.

If there is someone on this forum who like me, can't avoid giving opinions, it is thee.

Haha

I've told both of you plenty of times, it's not your willingness to aide. It's your delivery... i.e. topic is about trying to hit a static piece of steel at the moment and someone won't stop talking about if it was an animal.... or someone saying you can't do that or the rifle must be crap because it couldn't possibly be an inexperienced shooter etc. I've been fortunate to get a ton of experience in a very short time with many individuals who are on the cutting edge of making 1st round impacts a much higher probability. I've also spent a lot of time actually hands on training both new and intermediate shooters as well as have a ton of experience teaching and training Marines. I am well versed in speaking to a student while still remaining a student of the subject myself.

That's why certain comments ruffle feathers around here. Arguing the same point all week when the individual is looking for an objective point of view.

SageRat Shooter
06-04-2018, 10:26 AM
LW,

Amen brother!! That is exactly what got under my skin.... The guy is such a braggart and blow hard on his own horn, that everything he says "comes across like he's freaking Paul Bunyan... Not to mention PA isn't OR... The highest point in the entire state is 3400 feet.... Those are rolling hills at best, out here we have Mountains.

Additionally dude didn't know jack about how my father and I had the scope setup etc... He assumes too much too often which results in... well you know what they say about assuming.

Deadshot 2,
I've fired over 500 rounds on the same 100 pieces of brass and haven't had to trim a single case yet.... Just sayin...:fencing:When I started my research, the general consensus was... If you are a reloader, then go with the 260 Rem... If you aren't a reloader, then go 6.5 Creed... Everything down range is a wash. I knew I was building mine off a long action either way, and the 260 was supposed to feed a tad better as well as obtain an extra 50 fps over the 6.5 Creed. I love my .260 Rem... just like you love your 6.5 Creed. I'm sure I'd be happy with the 6.5 Creed just as much if I had decided to go that way, but I got influenced from the very beginning by 260Rips. I'm also trying to keep my targets no bigger than 1 MOA for the distance... (IE 10" gong @ 1000 yards...) that 16" plate is a bit bigger than mine... Good on ya though... don't get me wrong...

Eddie,

Thanks for the words of advice/encouragement... I'll keep at it for sure... I've only just started stretching things out... 2nd time ever shooting past 450 yards was the weekend referenced in this thread. Will soldier on for sure...
I reloaded this weekend and will be headed back out next weekend..:peace:

Stumpkiller
06-04-2018, 04:25 PM

The trick is learning how to lead a running stump. ;-)

eddiesindian
06-04-2018, 08:32 PM
Sagerat. The feeling of acquiring 1st round hits at 1k on a 8"×8" swinger is extremely self gratifying. Your on track.