PDA

View Full Version : new savage 25 classic 223

Pages : [1] 2

demo_slug
09-17-2010, 01:28 AM
I bought a brand new savage 25 classic in 223. I bought it about 6 months ago... put an 18X scope on it and took it to the range and put about 40 rounds worth of PMC bronze 55grn trying to sight in the scope from sand bags. I was grouping at about 6 inches at 50 yards. I was completely disappointed with the experience and shelved it :-\. I've been meaning to shoot it again to prove or disprove if it was just a bad day or a bad rifle... but it feels like a chore. I live in the city and shoot pistol twice a month. but I have to drive out of town to get to a rifle range to shoot rifle cartridges. I keep putting it off..

anyway... this rifle hums like a tunning fork after I fire it. is that normal? my 10-22 doesn't do it and my marlin 1894 doesn't do it, but they rattle :P. anyway, this is my first bolt action rifle.

miker
09-17-2010, 03:37 AM
Make sure action screws are tight all 23 savage rifles i have started life with loose screws if it was a package rifle take the scope off and tighten the scope mouts will most likley be loose as well

Harry Pope
09-17-2010, 11:26 AM
anyway... this rifle hums like a tunning fork after I fire it. is that normal?

How can you hear it "hum" through your hearing protection? Is it high C? F sharp?

oldguy
09-17-2010, 03:00 PM
What brand of scope.? I have a Savage 25-- 223 shoots consistant .600 or less @ 100 yards with my reloads.

demo_slug
09-18-2010, 02:00 AM
I can feel it thru my left hand. if I flick the stock near the barrel it will resonate for a second. you can feel it. its got good sustain. ;)

I guess this is abnormal? my girl friend fired it and noticed the vibration.

anyway... this rifle hums like a tunning fork after I fire it. is that normal?

How can you hear it "hum" through your hearing protection? Is it high C? F sharp?

demo_slug
09-18-2010, 02:33 AM
the scope is a Bushnell banner. I mounted it. it vibrates with the scope removed.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=128054

oldguy
09-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Try another scope if you can borrow or have one available I've had some problems with banner scopes, most of the model 25's are very accurate. Check your mount screws they will work loose at times. If all fail ship her back to Savage.

dolomite_supafly
09-18-2010, 09:51 AM
This has worked for me with rimfires. I have even tried it with some success with centerfires.

Add a pressure pad between the stock and the barrel. I normally place a foam ear plug about 1" from the end of the stock. If the gap is realy tight you might try cutting the foam earplug in half. Pressure pads can sometimes reduce the harmonics of barrels, making them seem to settle down a bit.

Shoot a few groups then move the pad back an inch. Continue this until you have a group that shrinks dramatically.

As part of my accuracy testing of any new rimfires I use a pressure pad. I use them to fine tune the gun once I work out what ammo it likes.

Dolomite

demo_slug
09-25-2010, 07:24 PM
went and shot it today. shot fine today. it still resonates after shooting, it will rattle my ear muffs when I go to re aim after a shot..

but grouping was great. I think it was an issue with the scope.

demo_slug
09-27-2010, 08:25 PM
I was looking thru my brass and the primers are all cratered :-[

I double checked with my spear manual and it says this is a defect in the firing pin assembly. :(

demo_slug
09-28-2010, 03:52 PM
i got a picture of the primers...

is it safe to shoot?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_wVYW09JAmHU/TKGIpO3pVBI/AAAAAAAAAGA/GXqklcV86NI/s512/m25%20primer%20crater.JPG

Ray Gunter
09-28-2010, 06:59 PM
I have never seen primers like that.

Take your rifle and those spent shells to a gunsmith along with some of the same rounds that have not been fired yet. Find out whats going on.

thirty06
09-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Just from the pic's, it looks like it needs the firing pin hole in the bolt head bushed.
There shouldn't be that much back flow around the firing pin.
I would definitely have a smith check it out.

demo_slug
09-29-2010, 01:37 PM
yeah, I talked to the shop I bought it from. they'll send it to savage for warranty work. I talked to savage and they wanted the rifle back, but didn't want to pay shipping....

demo_slug
10-19-2010, 01:29 PM
so the rifle was shipped 2 complete weeks ago, they haven't called. how long does warranty take and when should I start bugging people?

demo_slug
10-26-2010, 04:41 PM
I talked to savage and they quickly looked up my rifle by serial number. and told me that they replaced the bolt assembly and "proof tested it" and its good to go. I plan on being very happy. ;D and I think my vibration issue was some defective scope rings. can't wait to shoot again.

having the service data quickly available really says a lot about a company. to me.

demo_slug
11-04-2010, 02:48 AM
rifle is back. the bolt throw is a lot easier. originally it was a real knuckle buster.

it still vibrates. what a pisser. so... the scope has a big spring in it. its what holds the front lenz in. the spring and the rifle have a sympathetic resonate frequency. pull the trigger and buzzzzzzz. :P maybe the spring isn't fit right. with the scope off the gun. I can tap the scope and it vibrates for a bit. guess Its time to roll this over on Bushnell.

borg
11-04-2010, 03:08 AM
Guns shouldn't hum after you shoot them. That's all I know.

Wtex
11-04-2010, 06:00 AM
If they fixed the bolt and it still vibrates, then that wasn't the problem. I would try another scope and see if it still does it.

shovelheadave
11-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Is the primer issue corrected ??