PDA

View Full Version : New Model 12 finding the lands question

Pages : [1] 2

1vakid
12-10-2017, 01:42 PM
I jumped on the bandwagon and bought one of the Cabela's special. It is the first Savage I have owned since the middle 70's. The barrel will probably come off sometime next year for a SS one. Just like the looks. Anyway, All my other rifles are Win's. and Remington's. With my Remington's I will remove the firing pin and the extractor when searching for the fit of my brass and finding the lands for any particular bullet. How can I accomplish this with my Savage bolt? Couldn't find anything on You Tube but, then again, my computer skills aren't that great.

Robinhood
12-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Watch this vid and see if this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWmIwPwLyyg

russellc
12-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Well, I certainly dont profess to know everything, but I dont understand why you would remove those parts to "find the lands" and regardless of that I dont understand how you would find the lands with the bolt any way. Plus, with every different bullet you use, this measurement will change.

I do it using the Hornady Lock and Load O.A.L. gauge, Lock and load modified case, (for the the particular caliber you are using) Hornady Bullet Comparator & Basic insert set, along with a good digital caliper.

You put your gun in what ever apparatus you use to hold gun when you work on it, and remove the bolt. Using the O.A.L. device you screw the modified case (which suits your caliber) on the end. Then you place the bullet you are going to use in the end of this modified case. (you can make your own case if you are mechanically inclined and have the equipment) Loosen the set screw on the O.A.L. device which allows a rod to slide out through the end of the modified case, which allows you to push the bullet out or retract it back in the case. Sliding this (with bolt removed) into the chamber you can press the rod in, which will push the bullet forward into the lands. re tighten the set screw and pull out the device. The bullet will many times remain in the gun, push it out with your cleaning rod.

Put the bullet back in the modified case. The OAL device has a cut out that allows your caliper to get on the back of the case. Attach the Bullet Comparator onto your caliper and measure, recording the result. Now you know what a bullet length for the bullet you are using is, that can be used to set how far off the lands your bullet is, or by measuring again after how ever many rounds you have fired, and comparing to this original length, what throat erosion has occurred. (using the same bullet, of course)

Here is a well made you tube showing this process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJt7AxQr5ik

Russellc

russellc
12-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Robinhoods, video posted while I was posting...

Russellc

russellc
12-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Video (Robinhoods video) is correct about getting false readings if you dont apply the same pressure using the Hornady device. A little practice is required, and repeating the results for consistency.

Another point, the video using the bolt method is a really nice action, most basic Savage actions are no where near that sensitive right from the factory! I have never had one trued, like are available from Northern shooters....

Another one I liked...( dont care to poke cleaning rod down barrel )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtLAmANcywI

Russellc

Deadshot2
12-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Video (Robinhoods video) is correct about getting false readings if you dont apply the same pressure using the Hornady device. A little practice is required, and repeating the results for consistency.

Another point, the video using the bolt method is a really nice action, most basic Savage actions are no where near that sensitive right from the factory! I have never had one trued, like are available from Northern shooters....

Another one I liked...( dont care to poke cleaning rod down barrel )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtLAmANcywI

Russellc

Using the Hornady tool, it's easy to get consistent readings if you follow some simple steps. First of all, clean the chamber and throat area well. Any crud in either will give you fits.

Next, grab a handfull of bullets from the batch you will be loading. Take a measurement with each of the bullets, record each reading, then use an average for your working number. To make sure you have the bullet fully seated in the lands but not jammed to the point the lands start to engrave, just give the push rod a tap with something light. I use a soup spoon and just tap until I feel everything is seated. JUst be careful to keep pressure on the body of the tool that holds the case in the chamber against the shoulder.

If you don't want to mess around with averaging out readings then take the time to sort the bullets by base to ogive measurements. Doing that though will require a different seating depth for each group you segregated by base to ogive measurement and that's usually not enough to matter (unless using some really cheap bullets).

FWIW, the only part that really needs to be removed from the bolt if you are using the bolt to judge whether or not the bullet is in the lands is the ejector. Once the firing pin is pulled back and cocked you can raise or lower the handle with little or no issue. You really only need that last little bit of bolt handle movement to judge the drag.

That said, the Hornady tool or even case with a split neck will get the job done regardless of rifle brand and not having to disassemble the bolt.

russellc
12-10-2017, 11:02 PM
Another small thing is when using the Comparator to measure, the bullet angle going into the insert needs to be straight in. This sometimes necessitates loosening and adjusting the position of the comparator on the caliper. This allows both the case head to sit square as well as allowing the bullet to enter the comparator insert squarely.

Russellc

Deadshot2
12-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Another small thing is when using the Comparator to measure, the bullet angle going into the insert needs to be straight in. This sometimes necessitates loosening and adjusting the position of the comparator on the caliper. This allows both the case head to sit square as well as allowing the bullet to enter the comparator insert squarely.

Russellc

This is why I prefer the Sinclair comparator inserts. They are designed so the bullet only fits in straight. They fit the Hornady adapter but the readings won't be the same as the hornady insert. Since you only want to read "relative" measurements it's no big deal but the Sinclair's are far more consistant.

LoneWolf
12-11-2017, 12:44 PM
I have never had an issue using the Hornady OAL gauge. Take 5-10 measurements (Whatever you deem comfortable for your determination) and use the average. When you get good your measurements can be within .002-.003 or less consistently. The most important thing is saving the bullet that you originally measure with in order to keep track of the lands if you need to re-measure to reset seating depth during the barrels life span (primarily due to switching bullets or lots etc. I know everyone likes "exact" measurements, but being "close enough" on this measurement will yield solid results every time if using quality components and a good load development process.

You have to consider that every component used in the process has some degree of variation that plays into the mix. The key item in this equation (if all other processes are done correctly) being the selected bullet. Some bullets are obviously more jump sensitive than others or show much larger inconsistencies in base to OGIVE measurements. High quality bullets will usually see .005 or less variation within a specified lot. lot to lot variation I've seen .005-.010 with high quality bullets. Others I've seen greater than .010 difference from lot to lot. Now if you are trying to shoot VLD style bullets this may lead to having to conduct load development every time you get a new lot of bullets at least to determine proper seating depth. Basically is you are within .005 of the lands you can find your starting point for load dev and work from that point in .005 increments if deemed necessary.

For me in my load dev process seating depth is the very last thing for fine tuning a load. I always start .020 off the lands and work charge/powder selection first. Once I have a good consistent load that prints good groups I'll review the chrono data for velocity consistency. If I feel it could be better I'll test seating depth at +/-.005 from my starting point. Typically I see an improvement on this adjustment. If group size changes drastically due to seating depth adjustment that should automatically tell you that you have a jump sensitive bullet and you will have to monitor the erosion of the lands to keep that bullet shooting tight.

Other observations on seating depth:

I recently tested the 140 Berger Hybrid in my 6.5x47 from .020 jump to .100 jump. I did not see any changes in groups at 100yds. What I did see is that from .100-.040 my Velocity was 2760fps with an SD of 8 and ES of 14-16. Inside of .040 jump my velocity increased by 20fps up to 2780fps. I also saw my chrono numbers tighten up to an SD of 2 and ES of 8 over a 10 round string. I was pretty surprised by this so I loaded up a re-test and saw the same results. This is the load I've been running from around 1000-2000rds on the barrel when I got a new lot of bergers. I have not had to mess my charge at all, but the new lot of bullets were about .010 shorter to the OGIVE then the previous lot.

Take it for what it's worth, but I learned a lot with my current barrel due to it's extreme consistency for a test like this. Other barrels and observation may differ, but this it what I saw when I removed all other factors as possibilities in my loading processes.

russellc
12-11-2017, 10:03 PM
I will try the Sinclairs, inexpensive enough and I am a tool junkie. That said, its easy to see if the bullet isnt going straight in, and even if it is, if the case head end isnt square, inconsistency happens at that end. I see Hornady offers an "Anvil" that attaches to the other jaw of the caliper and provides a small flat area to square the case head on better than just the edge of the calipers jaw.

Russellc

russellc
12-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Using SMK bullets, I have noticed a difference. Things like this drive me nuts. Now I measure and sort the bullets. This is for bolt guns, so far I am not nearly so OCD about AR15 loading, but tweakier than some...

Russellc

russellc
12-11-2017, 10:08 PM
I have never had an issue using the Hornady OAL gauge. Take 5-10 measurements (Whatever you deem comfortable for your determination) and use the average. When you get good your measurements can be within .002-.003 or less consistently. The most important thing is saving the bullet that you originally measure with in order to keep track of the lands if you need to re-measure to reset seating depth during the barrels life span (primarily due to switching bullets or lots etc. I know everyone likes "exact" measurements, but being "close enough" on this measurement will yield solid results every time if using quality components and a good load development process.

You have to consider that every component used in the process has some degree of variation that plays into the mix. The key item in this equation (if all other processes are done correctly) being the selected bullet. Some bullets are obviously more jump sensitive than others or show much larger inconsistencies in base to OGIVE measurements. High quality bullets will usually see .005 or less variation within a specified lot. lot to lot variation I've seen .005-.010 with high quality bullets. Others I've seen greater than .010 difference from lot to lot. Now if you are trying to shoot VLD style bullets this may lead to having to conduct load development every time you get a new lot of bullets at least to determine proper seating depth. Basically is you are within .005 of the lands you can find your starting point for load dev and work from that point in .005 increments if deemed necessary.

For me in my load dev process seating depth is the very last thing for fine tuning a load. I always start .020 off the lands and work charge/powder selection first. Once I have a good consistent load that prints good groups I'll review the chrono data for velocity consistency. If I feel it could be better I'll test seating depth at +/-.005 from my starting point. Typically I see an improvement on this adjustment. If group size changes drastically due to seating depth adjustment that should automatically tell you that you have a jump sensitive bullet and you will have to monitor the erosion of the lands to keep that bullet shooting tight.

Other observations on seating depth:

I recently tested the 140 Berger Hybrid in my 6.5x47 from .020 jump to .100 jump. I did not see any changes in groups at 100yds. What I did see is that from .100-.040 my Velocity was 2760fps with an SD of 8 and ES of 14-16. Inside of .040 jump my velocity increased by 20fps up to 2780fps. I also saw my chrono numbers tighten up to an SD of 2 and ES of 8 over a 10 round string. I was pretty surprised by this so I loaded up a re-test and saw the same results. This is the load I've been running from around 1000-2000rds on the barrel when I got a new lot of bergers. I have not had to mess my charge at all, but the new lot of bullets were about .010 shorter to the OGIVE then the previous lot.

Take it for what it's worth, but I learned a lot with my current barrel due to it's extreme consistency for a test like this. Other barrels and observation may differ, but this it what I saw when I removed all other factors as possibilities in my loading processes.

Using SMK bullets, I have noticed a measurable difference between projectiles. Things like this drive me nuts. Now I measure and sort the bullets. This is for bolt guns, so far I am not nearly so OCD about AR15 loading, but tweakier than some...

Russellc

Deadshot2
12-13-2017, 12:25 PM
Using SMK bullets, I have noticed a difference. Things like this drive me nuts. Now I measure and sort the bullets. This is for bolt guns, so far I am not nearly so OCD about AR15 loading, but tweakier than some...

Russellc

A couple years ago, just to see if what everyone said was true, I sorted a complete box of 500 175 gr SMK's by Base to ogive measurement. Sorted into groups that were +/- .001" which gave a .002" variation in the group. Ended up with 6 separate groups with a full .012' Variation from shortest bullet (BTO) to longest (BTO).

It appears that Sierra (at least at that time) just dumped the production of all their machines into a common bin and filled boxes from that. Nosler, on the other hand, claims to box bullets each machine separately. The Nosler 175 C/C's I've purchased seem to bear that out with extremely uniform BTO measurements.

Variations come from both the tolerances allowed when the forming die is "cut" and polished as well as wear as bullets are formed. An over or undersized brand new die may create bullets that are longer or shorter than others from dies that have been in service longer. About the only dimension I find to be dead on from most manufacturers is bullet OD. From there I find all kinds of variations.

The introduction of tipped bullets has alleviated, to a point, OAL variations but not necessarily base to ogive measurements. All complaining aside, we are shooting some of the best ever bullets due to continuing development.

Robinhood
12-13-2017, 10:38 PM
I find that the factory Hornady modified cases are a different dimension than my cases from base to shoulder. Meaning I have to add the difference. This is a variable that most people overlook. The ones I made myself were not a problem. At best the Hornady gauge is a rough estimate. The method in the video is definitive in my opinion with firing pin removed. Even better if the ejector is removed. Once the lands are found, you get the case base to ogive and done. I keep the test cartridge in with my dies marked with pertinent information. to each his own.

Zero333
12-14-2017, 01:20 AM
The Hornady OAL tool with the modified case is my preferred way of measuring.

I can take the measurement 10 times and it will not differ more than 1 thousands between measurements.

I've compared the measurements of the Hornady OAL tool to those using the Wheeler method from the video. The results with both methods were within 2 thousands of each other. More than good enough for me.

One thing about the method from the video is that I needed to use clear tape on the sides of the bolt head retaining pin. Otherwise it wanted to slide out with out the firing being there to secure it.

1vakid
12-14-2017, 06:26 PM
Sorry for not posting any replies. My computer keeps freezing every time I log on here. Except for this.

1vakid
12-14-2017, 06:31 PM
Yes, I already use the A. Wheeler method on all my REM's. Works many times better then the Hornady tool.

1vakid
12-14-2017, 06:32 PM
Finally, my grandson came over and "fixed" it for me. LOL.

1vakid
12-14-2017, 06:36 PM
I have reverted to using my Hornady tool, (with lots of patience) and my readings are getting more consistent. Got spoiled using Alex's method.

russellc
12-14-2017, 07:59 PM
I have reverted to using my Hornady tool, (with lots of patience) and my readings are getting more consistent. Got spoiled using Alex's method.
Once you get use to it, accurate measurements are quite consistent.

Russellc