PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Savage 14/114 Questions!

Pages : [1] 2

savageCA
12-03-2017, 01:30 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm new here, and super interested in a Savage rifle. After perusing their website, I found the American Classic 14. It's a really nice looking gun. I will want to add a Bushnell scope and probably a bipod to it. I am interested in this type of rifle because it reminds me of the basic traditional rifles that served the military and hunters since the beginning and is a timeless design.

My main purpose for the gun will be fun target shooting of random objects with a high power round up to 100 yards or so. I already have a 10/22 so a bigger bolt-action rifle is next on the list. I may do some deer or boar hunting down the line since I can hunt legally in my area, but it's not a top priority.

I have mostly settled on the .308 WIN because it's a common, semi-affordable round that is proven and good for all around shooting.

My questions are: What are your thoughts on my choice compared to other options on the market, including the other Savage models? Is there something I might be overlooking? What scope and bipod would you recommend for all around shooting (nothing super crazy or expensive)? I will primarily shoot from a table or the prone position. Thank you :becky:

penna shooter
12-03-2017, 06:47 AM
Welcome and good choice on the 14....Complete classic with all the bells and whistles.....Good luck.
Scopes are endless depending on your preference and budget...SWFA, Leupold, Vortex, Nikon, Burris, Weaver, Primary Arms, etc.

jpdown
12-03-2017, 12:15 PM
I'm also partial to the classic look of walnut rifle stocks. The Savage 14/114 AC is one of my favorites along with Savage 11/111 LWH. Caliber is a personal choice. I would also look at the 6.5 Creedmoor as an option to fit you needs for target, deer and boar. Less recoil will translate into smaller groups at the bench. When it comes to scopes, bipods, etc., buy the best you can afford from proven brands with a no-hassle warranty and good resale value. My choice would be a Harris bipod and Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm scope to get the compact, classic look and feel you desire.

I've done several Savage builds over the years using Savage 14/114 stocks. My latest build was with a Savage 16 LWH barreled action in 6.5 Creedmoor and Savage 14 AC stock from Numrich Gun Parts. I replaced the hard rubber recoil pad with a Pachmayr Decelerator "Old English" recoil pad and used SS metal bottom parts. The picture is with a Harris bipod, Burris Signature Zee rings, Weaver Grand Slam 2-piece bases and Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm CDS scope. I also use steel wool between several coats of Tru-Oil to enhance the factory finish and give the stock a classic satin finish. With use you are going to get some wear and tear. After hunting season, I raise any wood dings with a wet cloth and iron. Then use Tru-Oil and 600 grit wet/dry sand paper to gently wet/dirty sand and fill any marks in the wood. Go easy and don't sand through the factory finish into the bare wood.

godale
12-03-2017, 01:10 PM
I have a 114 30/06 . It’s a great rifle . At the time it was the best savage had in their lineup .keep in mind if you get a 114 as typical with savage long actions you might need a long one piece mount depending on your eye relief .i have a bushnell 3200 elite on mine with a Caldwell bipod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savageCA
12-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Wow thanks guys, that was quick!

jpdown, that savage is beautiful - very similar to what I'm looking to get. It sounds like you can build whatever you want as the parts are interchangeable between models? I definitely prefer the blued barrel over the stainless, but it's certainly not bad by any means. Probably a lot more durable and requires less maintenance too. I was also looking at the LWH as I'm sure it's a lot easier to carry around - every pound makes a big difference. Does it kick a lot more given the lower weight, or are there any downsides to the hollowed out parts?

I only have experience with Bushnell scopes - I have them on my other guns and they work great, but I'd be open to other options. It's just a little overwhelming because there are so many options!!! I have a 4-12 x 40 Banner on my pellet rifle and it's great. Adjustable focus, zoom, and elevation. I don't think it has any fancy coatings, but works fine for me. I probably want a similar version for the 14. Maybe with more zoom (18x?) for longer range shots down the line.

So, about that chambering. I've definitely heard great things about 6.5 Creedmor, and it sounds like it's becoming a very popular round. At .256" it is narrow and long, able to maintain speed and accuracy better compared to a .308 and with similar energy. Will the average joe really notice? I know I'll notice the extra cost (almost 2.5X the cost per round). Really worth it?

Thanks for your super quick replies - much appreciated.

godale
12-03-2017, 04:05 PM
If you go with a bushnell go with their elite series . You will be glad you did . Also I have a limber saver slip on pad and with 150 grain bullets I don’t really feel recoil from the rifle . I bought mine for 580 out the door in 05 can’t do that now

savageCA
12-03-2017, 06:53 PM
Based on my research, .30-06 and .308 are very similar rounds, so if you can't feel the recoil too much then that's reassuring.

Edit: Also, I heard this model was discontinued at some point some years back? And then it was also made available in a stainless barrel, and also available with a different stock finish. I think the current setup looks great. I have seen then online for $700 or so. Of course here in CA I have to spend another $40 or so to pick it up from the local shop.

godale
12-03-2017, 07:22 PM
Mine is the dbm I thought that was the one discontinued . Wish my 270 was one of them . I settled for the Stevens 200 instead

savageCA
12-03-2017, 07:25 PM
dbm?

I am liking the looks of this. http://bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-scopes/elite-4500/6-24x-40mm

I'll do some more research and come back with my final build before ordering, and then of course post up some pics when it's all done :)

godale
12-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Detachable box magazine . I prefer that over blind magazines . Or hinged floor plates

savageCA
12-04-2017, 12:36 AM
Ahh I see. It looks like it's still a dbm according to the site.

Robinhood
12-04-2017, 12:55 AM
I like the older Bushnell elites. I wish Sightron still made the Big Sky! What a scope compared to the Bushnell.

godale
12-04-2017, 08:18 AM
Curious what they run now o know it’s not under 600

savageCA
12-04-2017, 11:03 PM
Quick follow up question...
I am realizing that the different 10/110 series actually share a lot of the same parts. You're only getting a different stock or barrel. Are there any other benefits to the 14 that make it more valuable than say a 10?

Robinhood
12-04-2017, 11:41 PM
Savage only sells one model of the 14 here in the US. The American Classic. It is a wood stocked carbon steel rifle with a detachable magazine and a bottom bolt release. At one time the rifles were blued very nicely and they were top released. I think you might have been able to get one in stainless( or maybe that was a wood stocked 16).

With the exception of different trim like top or bottom bolt release with corresponding trigger guard, detachable mag/custom mag and magwell, barrel dimensions and bolt spring revisions etc... they are basically all the same. Short action 10, 11, 12, 14, 16. Long Action 110, 111, 112, 114, 116.

savageCA
12-05-2017, 03:04 AM
I do notice that on the 14 they say "barrel color: blued", while all the others say "barrel color: black". No idea if that means they're actually different or what. Not like it really matters.

godale
12-05-2017, 06:31 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171205/a03a0996c91615d1a41b444f8be6c73b.jpg

VAFISH
12-06-2017, 05:15 PM
.308 is a good all around chambering but, one other caliber you may want to consider is the .243. Little lighter recoil and little flatter shooting. Plenty of power for deer hunting, also useful for varmints like ground hogs.

savageCA
12-07-2017, 07:12 PM
Looks like another good option, but I already went with the .308! Now I get to jump through the hoops to actually get it here in CA.

It looks like I will also need a base and rings for whatever scope I end up with. Looking at Weaver for those bits.

Can't wait! :smile-new:

savageCA
12-10-2017, 10:11 PM
Any thoughts on 1 piece vs 2 piece bases?

I'm looking at the Weaver 2 piece steel base with Weaver steel grand slam rings. I actually like the idea of a 1 piece base better, but I've read it doesn't make a difference and could actually interfere with accessing the bolt area on some rifles.

I think I've settled on the Elite 4500 4-16X40 scope too. Seems like a solid scope without breaking the bank too bad.