PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Savage 14/114 Questions!

Pages : 1 [2]

Evlshnngns
12-10-2017, 11:59 PM
I bought a one piece with the hope of better alignment for my 12fv. It does limit finger room fiddling with shells. My model 11 came with a two piece, works great.

savageCA
12-11-2017, 01:05 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but can a shell ever hit the scope on its way out? Would a one piece base prevent that? (probably a really dumb question)

jpdown
12-11-2017, 12:29 PM
I use the Weaver Grand Slam two piece bases, S46 on rear and S405 on front. Or, the Burris Xtreme Tactical two piece bases. These are the only two piece base sets I've found that will allow proper scope eye relief on a Savage SA or LA receiver. Especially with the shorter tubed scopes. Burris Signature Zee rings with the inserts are the best I've found for use with Weaver-style base.

godale
12-12-2017, 06:38 AM
I am picky about eye adjustment so I have a 1 piece mount . I have one on a Stevens 270 too. None have interfered with the bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savageCA
01-13-2018, 02:06 AM
I got my Savage 14!

I noticed a few differences from what I expected. It does not have wrap-around checkering on the foregrip any more. Instead it has the more traditional side-only checkering. The stock is also a raw wood rather than a gloss lacquer finish. The barrel has a matte black finish rather than gloss blued.

Not problems as it still feels nice, but they must have changed it in recent history. I will post up a pic as soon as I get my scope mounted.

godale
01-13-2018, 10:29 AM
I have heard this ...and they are pricier too now . Last ones I saw in my area were the stainless ones which were being discontinued at the time . Post a picture when you can

bobbyj
01-14-2018, 06:43 PM
I have a Model 14 Classic LH in .243 Win. Bought it three years ago. It has the high-gloss, blued version (maybe, I can't really tell in this light).

It was the only one on the rack, and have never seen another LH one since. Savage still lists the 14 Classic, but not in LH anymore; otherwise, I think it would be listed on their website product offerings.

bobbyj.

savageCA
03-03-2018, 10:04 PM
Finally got around to taking some pics. I love it! Need to sight it in accurately still, but it's close.

Thanks for all your help guys. I ended up using the Bushnell 2.5-15 x 50 illuminated scope with Warne low rings on Weaver 2 piece bases with the extended front base to bring it towards the rear, exactly as you suggested. It fits nice and low with the Butler creek flip up caps. Also a blackhawk bipod, even though it doesn't really fit this style of rifle lol.

https://i.imgur.com/yQT8Paw.jpg

Evlshnngns
03-04-2018, 03:14 AM
Looks good!

wbm
03-04-2018, 07:35 AM
I'm also partial to the classic look of walnut rifle stocks. I've done several Savage builds over the years using Savage 14/114 stocks.

Stock looks great. Love the looks of the 14's.

Some of jpdown's work is now at my place. Thanks JP!

jpdown
03-04-2018, 11:30 AM
wbm, you've got her looking good!

wbm
03-04-2018, 12:53 PM
I already went with the .308!

308 is a good choice in the 14. How does it shoot?

Thanks JP. Went with a 6.5 Creedmoor. Sent pics to my son in Yellowstone. He is ready to take possession. Wonder why?:cool:

savageCA
03-04-2018, 01:36 PM
Stock looks great. Love the looks of the 14's.

Some of jpdown's work is now at my place. Thanks JP!

Very nice. I like the lustre and character of your stock. Mine is more of a satin oiled finish.

308 is a good choice in the 14. How does it shoot?

Thanks JP. Went with a 6.5 Creedmoor. Sent pics to my son in Yellowstone. He is ready to take possession. Wonder why?:cool:

It goes bang. Fits me well. Trigger feels good. I still need to spend the time to accurately sight it in at 100yds, so I can't comment on the precision quite yet. Still trying to figure out an ammo situation here in CA without spending $1.25 a round for the cheap stuff.

godale
03-10-2018, 09:29 AM
Finally got around to taking some pics. I love it! Need to sight it in accurately still, but it's close.

Thanks for all your help guys. I ended up using the Bushnell 2.5-15 x 50 illuminated scope with Warne low rings on Weaver 2 piece bases with the extended front base to bring it towards the rear, exactly as you suggested. It fits nice and low with the Butler creek flip up caps. Also a blackhawk bipod, even though it doesn't really fit this style of rifle lol.

https://i.imgur.com/yQT8Paw.jpg

What a good looking rifle ! Glad it’s working out for you . Not much talk here about the 114s and 14s