PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum stock

Pages : [1] 2

jraney
12-01-2017, 01:18 AM
Has anybody ever seen a total aluminum stock? What are yalls thoughts on this? I have an idea for a stock made completely out of aluminum but would like to get others opinions.

MI223
12-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Lots of them. They are referred to as chassis. I have an xlr element others would be mcrees, mpa, krg. This is definitely not a new concept

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

holescreek
12-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Yup.
Model 10 FCP-K .308
https://media.fotki.com/2v2uyUn8FxAjwmD.jpg

Model 12FV .223
https://media.fotki.com/2v2uyUn4nxAjwmD.jpg

holescreek
12-01-2017, 11:27 AM
Mauser 7.62x54r

https://media.fotki.com/2v2uyUnQWxAjwmD.jpg

Mosin Nagant 7.62x54r

https://media.fotki.com/2v2uyUFQFxAjwmD.jpg

darkker
12-01-2017, 04:48 PM
MDT LSS.
Only real hang-up with that one is the relatively short fore-end, and the fact that it is COOOLD when hunting in the winter.:p

NicfromAlabama
12-01-2017, 09:05 PM
Nice rifles Holescreek. I have a Savage 10 FCP in a XLR Evolution chassis. I like it well enough. I just haven't had time to shoot it as much as I would like.

jraney
12-02-2017, 08:55 PM
Those are nice looking rifles. What I want is more of a traditional type stock like you would find on hunting rifle. I have an idea on how to make it just need the materials. Also was wondering if there was any other downsides to an all aluminum stock other than it being cold. Haha that did cross my mind as well.

holescreek
12-02-2017, 09:56 PM
Weight is one of the major differences but with enough whittling you can reduce it to a manageable level. A traditional shaped stock would be pretty heavy unless you could get it hollowed out somehow. If I wanted traditional features I'd just use wood. The majority of cutouts, holes and grooves you see aren't to make it look cool, they are for weight reduction.

I have other rifles with aluminum stocks too, these are just the bolt actions I've built recently. All are bench guns that I wouldn't want to carry very far in the field hunting but the extra weight does tame recoil fantastically.

A quick google search puts a cubic foot of oak at 50 pounds vs a cubic foot of aluminum at 168.5 pounds.

bowfishn
12-03-2017, 08:17 AM
Weight is one of the major differences but with enough whittling you can reduce it to a manageable level. A traditional shaped stock would be pretty heavy unless you could get it hollowed out somehow. If I wanted traditional features I'd just use wood. The majority of cutouts, holes and grooves you see aren't to make it look cool, they are for weight reduction.

I have other rifles with aluminum stocks too, these are just the bolt actions I've built recently. All are bench guns that I wouldn't want to carry very far in the field hunting but the extra weight does tame recoil fantastically.

A quick google search puts a cubic foot of oak at 50 pounds vs a cubic foot of aluminum at 168.5 pounds.
Yeah, a lot of people don't realize that Aluminum and some Granite are close to the same weight per Cubic Foot.

DrThunder88
12-03-2017, 11:44 AM
This thread got me thinking, "What if you could make an Axis stock out of Aluminum?" That's a big "if" because injection molding plastic is quite different than casting or machining aluminum, but I just wanted to get a feel for what the weight would end up being. From a previous thread I learned factory Axis stocks were only about 25oz, and for this thought experiment I assumed the whole stock was plastic instead of accounting for rubber and steel. By my calculations an aluminum version of a factory Axis stock would weigh a fraction of an ounce more than a Boyds Pro Varmint in any one of the colored laminates. And while that's definitely on the heavy side for a stock, it's not as unmanageable as it would seem.

JWW123
12-04-2017, 10:43 AM
there are pictures of all aluminum stocks on some of the other websites that do look somewhat like a regular stock ,most are used in benchrest shooting and yes they are heavy

holescreek
12-04-2017, 11:34 AM
I've never seen an axis stock but the receiver cutouts are pretty much the same between the 12FV and 10FCP. Making my own stocks let me add a magazine to the 12FV and a top bolt release to the 10.

jraney
12-05-2017, 05:51 PM
Well at first I thought about using a single block of aluminum and having it machines into a stock then I decided that would be way to expensive and I could just buy another stock for the same money or less. So I got to thinking. Called a place and I can buy a sheet of plate aluminum 1/8” thick. With this plate I would draw out my stock and weld it together. I have been thinking a lot about this and I think I could make it work. I know I would need some thicker material in the action part of the stock but the butt and forearm would be the 1/8” material. The forearm would have cross pieces to add rigidity and strength. What are yalls thoughts. I know some of this may sound far fetched but I want something different from what everyone else has.

darkker
12-06-2017, 01:11 PM
I suppose it comes down to what your definition of "heavy" is, and how that would cause the vapors.

The LSS is listed at 1.6 - 1.8#. That is the difference of a cute little sporter barrel, Vs one of the Savage bull contours. Not many people get twisted about that, but is worth discussing when it comes to a stock?
Per cubic foot, granite and aluminum are a similar weight; so what? Are planes made from granite? nor are the aluminum stocks the same amount of material of a wooden one.

I've been hunting with my 10FP for decades, that rifle weighs just over the 19# mark that the Marine sniper rifles weigh in at. I'm not a super-human, I don't walk 30 steps from a truck to a stand. To each his own, totally fine with that. But compared to an alternative stock, if the aluminum version is even 2# more; is that REALLY a killer for you? How many are actually hiking accross the Afghan mountains trying to save lives here?
SE Washington is a desert, last year Phoenix, AZ had more annual rainfall than we did. Walking a LOOOOOONG way for hunting is just part of the game. If 2# causes me to need a medivac, maybe I shouldn't have left the safety of my organic smoothies and lazyboy recliner. $0.02

Deadshot2
12-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Walking a LOOOOOONG way for hunting is just part of the game. If 2# causes me to need a medivac, maybe I shouldn't have left the safety of my organic smoothies and lazyboy recliner. $0.02

I've laughed for years when I hear (or read about) people complaining about an extra 2-3# in a rifle. Chances are if you took their back pack and the contents of their pockets, dumped them on a table and only put back the real essentials their "Load" would drop by 10# or more.

sharpshooter
12-06-2017, 03:58 PM
I know a coupla guys that made solid 1 piece bench rest stocks and shot them at the nationals. Neither one of them have any hair left.....

jraney
12-06-2017, 05:14 PM
I know a coupla guys that made solid 1 piece bench rest stocks and shot them at the nationals. Neither one of them have any hair left.....

What do you mean?

sharpshooter
12-06-2017, 11:37 PM
Meaning, that that they pulled their hair out trying to get them to shoot. Aluminum is not a good stock material because it is a conductor....of heat and harmonics.

darkker
12-07-2017, 07:29 AM
Well you better let the unlimited class benchrest shooters know that....
Imagine how good their groups could be had they known not to use aluminum in their rail guns:rolleyes:

holescreek
12-07-2017, 11:24 AM
All this time I've been blaming my flyers on everything except the stock. Add one mere to the list!