PDA

View Full Version : Savage Special Ordering

Pages : [1] 2

lsuTigers
08-23-2017, 11:52 PM
Howdy y'all! First time poster and I've got some burning questions that y'all probably have the experience to answer. I'm planning on getting a Savage rifle mainly for deer but to also as a "general purpose shooter". I've flipped back and forth of what I want and I've come to the conclusion that savage doesn't offer exactly what I want. At the moment, I'm wanting an 114 American Classic, however in .25-06 Remington. That's not a factory offering. Would it be possible for them to get me that? If it is, what should I expect to pay for the work? Obviously the base rifle plus the work. Or would all of this be a fools errand and just get a synthetic version and replace with walnut? Sorry if this was a long winded post, I'm just trying to sort out as many details and ideas ahead of time as possible.

m12lrs
08-24-2017, 06:00 AM
simple

buy a 114 american classic as cheap as you can find. sell the factory barrel.

and rebarrel with a pre-fit barrel of the manufacturer of your choice. the proper contour will be the most.difficult.part.

lots of stocks out there to choose from

i would just prowl the pawn shops looking for a rifle with the action i was looking.for. lots of pawn shop prices are ridiculous but you can always negotiate.

JW
08-24-2017, 06:06 AM
Welcome to the forum!
A call to Savage would be your best route on the questions about them putting together a rifle for you
It would cost more no doubt
If you enjoy working on rifles, building a 25-06 to your liking is possible and fun
Jack

J.Baker
08-24-2017, 09:17 AM
Savage could make that for you no problem. You do however pay a premium for a special order as they have to have an employee walk your rifle through the plant to each production station. Generally speaking, expect to pay around MSRP price.

M12's suggestion is valid, but would probably cost you just as much (or more) in the long run. Pre-fit heavy barrels are common place, but I've yet to see anyone offering pre-fit sporter barrels other than the few cheap A&B's that Midway used to sell and the ones EABCO sells. As such you'd have to add in the cost of having the barrel turned to fit your stock ($60-100). If you want the finish to match (blued action + blued barrel) you also need to add in the cost of getting it blued so there's another $25-50. If you don't already have the needed tools (nut wrench, barrel vise and/or action wrench) figure on another $100 or so depending on who's tools you decide to get.

Your alternative idea idea of buying a synthetic stocked model and just upgrading the stock might be a little more expensive than you'd expect as well. Most of the factory listed synthetic stock models (Trophy Hunters) use the Axis-style magazine so you would probably want to upgrade to the better metal bottomed style. Figure about $100-120 for the parts to do that. A stock from Boyds will run you anywhere from $160 on up depending on what options you choose. You can get a really nice walnut stock with checkering from them, but you'll end up paying around $350-400 for it.

Cabela's or one of the other big-box stores might offer a synthetic stocked model that comes with the metal magazine hardware, and if so that would be the one to buy.

lsuTigers
08-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Would I need bottom metal for one of these stocks to throw a 111 trophy hunter xp into? https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1161450
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1476690

m12lrs
08-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Would I need bottom metal for one of these stocks to throw a 111 trophy hunter xp into? https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1161450
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1476690

just remember theses words on a stock "Drop In". you want to be sure that the stock is fully inletted for your barrel and action. that is unless you enjoy the long and tedious job of inletting a stock. trust me BTDT.

pillar bedding is another option i highly recommend. you can do it yourself if you are so inclined.

RP12
08-24-2017, 01:15 PM
If Savage makes it, he gets a warranty.

jpdown
08-24-2017, 01:56 PM
The stock you want is still available from Numrich https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1366490. A Savage 111 TH barreled action would be a drop-in-fit with this stock. You would need to purchase a metal LA, DBM frame assembly, bottom cap and the metal BBR trigger guard, plus a shorter front DBM action screw (All from Savage Arms Parts). Savage also makes a cheaper plastic LA DBM frame assembly used with the Savage 111 LWH that accepts the Axis-style plastic bottom magazine that is used with the TH plastic stock.

Another option would be to purchase a Savage 114 American Classic new or used. I believe it still comes with metal bottom parts. Sell the barrel as a new/used take-off. Then purchase an ER Shaw Savage Pre-fit barrel (E Arthur Brown). They have Savage factory contour barrels in 25-06. The ER Shaw barrels are as accurate as factory barrels and are usually easier to clean-up.

lsuTigers
08-24-2017, 03:44 PM
The stock you linked is a left handed one, but I get what you're saying though. If I went the second route, which caliber barrel would you think would be the easiest to resell? Where would be a good place to do so? I'd also need the tools to swap barrels correct?

Also, you wouldn't happen to have links to where l can find the exact bottom metal parts I would need? Or is it all on the savage website?

RC20
08-24-2017, 08:45 PM
30-06 is a good one. Maybe 270.

Any of the Varmint contour barrels sell.

Savage can put stuff together, it just has to be available.

In my case I wanted a 30-06 Varmint or bull barrel. they don't make one like that so no joy for me.

I could have put together anything I wanted in 308 from Varmint profile to bull as those are offered and wide range of stocks from Laminate to plastic (ughy)

lsuTigers
08-24-2017, 10:03 PM
So many options it's making my head spin! Lol! However the more I think about it, the more having savage swap barrels (if possible) starts to sound attractive. Obviously it'll cost more but it seems worth to have the warranty in case god forbid something went wrong. Plus I'm note sure about spending the money on tools I'll most likely never use again. Idk y'all

Hotolds442
08-24-2017, 11:04 PM
If I was buying a new long action rifle only to sell the factory barrel, it'd be either 6.5x284 Norma or 25/'06. Those two chamberings seem to fetch the most as new take-offs. Any of the magnums would be my next choice. You will get twice as much for them then you would for a common chambering that every barrel nut has laying around. Heavy, Stainless, fluting, and factory muzzle brake all add even more to the return on investment. Savage will not swap barrels for you. They will not sell you a barrel and take yours in return. They will not sell you a barrel. You either special order a rifle to your specifications, or build it yourself.
The 111 BTH is still chambered in 25/'06 for 2017 in 22" length. That means they have barrels, reamers, and go/no go gauges in your choice of chambering. They can screw one of those barrels on your custom ordered 114, apply a nice glossy bluing to all the metal parts, and you're done. Don't make it any more difficult than it needs to be. Order it and post pics when it arrives!

jpdown
08-25-2017, 12:00 AM
The stock you want is still available from Numrich https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1366490. A Savage 111 TH barreled action would be a drop-in-fit with this stock. You would need to purchase a metal LA, DBM frame assembly, bottom cap and the metal BBR trigger guard, plus a shorter front DBM action screw (All from Savage Arms Parts). Savage also makes a cheaper plastic LA DBM frame assembly used with the Savage 111 LWH that accepts the Axis-style plastic bottom magazine that is used with the TH plastic stock.

Another option would be to purchase a Savage 114 American Classic new or used. I believe it still comes with metal bottom parts. Sell the barrel as a new/used take-off. Then purchase an ER Shaw Savage Pre-fit barrel (E Arthur Brown). They have Savage factory contour barrels in 25-06. The ER Shaw barrels are as accurate as factory barrels and are usually easier to clean-up.

Sorry about that. I sent you a PM on another stock that would work if you purchased a Savage 111 TH XP in .25-06. Then you won't need tools to swap out the barrel. Just swap stocks and purchase the metal bottom parts direct from Savage Arms Parts by giving them a call. You will need a LA metal DBM frame assembly, LA magazine bottom cap and BBR trigger guard and the shorter, front DBM screw.

lsuTigers
08-25-2017, 12:04 AM
"You either special order a rifle to your specifications, or build it yourself.
The 111 BTH is still chambered in 25/'06 for 2017 in 22" length. That means they have barrels, reamers, and go/no go gauges in your choice of chambering. They can screw one of those barrels on your custom ordered 114, apply a nice glossy bluing to all the metal parts, and you're done."

Haha that's what I meant by having savage swap barrels, sorry if I was unclear. I wonder if they'd mind if I called to get an idea of how much it'd cost so I'd would know how much to set aside.

lsuTigers
08-25-2017, 12:08 AM
Hey sorry, I just saw that! Thank you, that'll give me another probably cheaper option!

hereinaz
08-25-2017, 05:03 PM
PMed you about a beautiful 25-06 I built. Stupid Savage bug... gotta get money to build the next one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lsuTigers
08-25-2017, 05:50 PM
A beautiful rifle no doubt, but a little more gun than what I want/need at the moment!

lsuTigers
08-29-2017, 12:26 AM
Another late night question popped into my head: Would it be worth glass bedding the action?

jpdown
08-29-2017, 02:07 PM
I always stress-free bed a Savage action and recoil lug in the stock I choose. Free float the barrel and action tang in the stock. Devcon plastic steel epoxy can be found at the local hardware store and it is easy to work with. Clean up excess with vinegar or acetone and Q-tips. I use Kiwi neutral polish as the release agent. Tape off stock to protect wood, keep edge lines clean, and to keep excess epoxy from sticking in areas you can't easily reach for clean up while the bedding cures. Score the excess epoxy with a sharp blade along tape edges and it will break off with removal of the tape to give a clean edge.

lsuTigers
09-12-2017, 05:13 PM
I have a new plan that'll hopefully work and be cheaper. Can I take a 111BTH HF and put it in this stock without any problems?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/52925/savage_111bth_25-06_hf_ths

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1366600