PDA

View Full Version : New guy, first build!

Pages : [1] 2

MisterGrubbs
07-25-2017, 10:27 PM
Hello all. I'm finally taking the plunge and jumping into things I don't know enough about. Just acquired a model ten, and is like to outline what's on it, what I plan to do, and what I will use it for. I'd love some input from y'all

Have
2003 Circa Savage 10 in .308
Rifle Basix trigger
Atlas Worx DBM with 10rd
Egw 20moa rail
Vortex precision rings
Vortex HST 6-24
New extractor and ejector with larger detent ball

Need : barrel and stock.

Very unsure on barrel. I'd love a bartlein, Krieger, or similar, but not sure I can afford 400 on a barrel right now. I am seriously considering clambering to 6.5 creedmore.

For a stock I am considering the boyds at one. Not sure your opinion, but it's adjustable and looks good to me. I believe once I get the stock and bed it, it should be good to go.

This will be my intro rifle into punching steel. It will also be my critter gitter (coyote and the like).

All feedback welcome. Sorry for long post

Ryan

Robinhood
07-25-2017, 11:12 PM
Ryan, sounds like you are about to get a little more serious about shooting. I think you have a good plan. The 6.5 has lots of data and support. Some disagree but a clean/flat action face and barrel nut, and a flat recoil lug are worth the investment. A lapped barrel will give you more shots before scrubbing. Keep it fun and take short steps as you learn.

MisterGrubbs
07-25-2017, 11:23 PM
Ryan, sounds like you are about to get a little more serious about shooting. I think you have a good plan. The 6.5 has lots of data and support. Some disagree but a clean/flat action face and barrel nut, and a flat recoil lug are worth the investment. A lapped barrel will give you more shots before scrubbing. Keep it fun and take short steps as you learn.

Already speaking Greek, although I am pretty sure I have the gist.

I'd like to assemble her and get her shooting. If she's not shooting as well as I had hoped, then I would venture into squaring and blueprinting.

With decent loads, aftermarket barrel, and bedded stock, I feel it should have no issue shooting close to 0.5 consistently all of my stock savages will shoot 1. Some have shot 3/4 or a hair better!

Texas10
07-25-2017, 11:38 PM
I think the first considerations should be based upon how much the finished gun will weigh. Are you going to be packing it around, up and down hills, or shooting from a hide? Bench or prone shooting only? Punching steel for the thrill of ringing the bell at distance or in competition?

These considerations will help you choose barrel length and profile, stock type and material, magazine or single feed. There are some fairly cheap Savage pre-fits available, and more here in the want ads if you don't mind a new or slightly used barrel that has been removed from an action by member. I have built complete guns from parts sold entirely here.

A firearm optimized for shooting game is rarely a firearm also optimized for shooting target. But that's not to say you can't build a rifle that can do both decently well.

For your consideration, the 6mmBR is by design an inherently accurate cartridge, and very efficient in returning velocity for powder burned, a benefit when component cost is a consideration. With many bullets to choose from that will take small game/varmints quite well but also punch steel out to 1000 yds. For example, the Hornday 105 BTHP can do everything you outline, is inexpensive and yet very deadly out of an 8 twist barrel. You can quite easily take a coyote at 750 to 800 yds with this load.

Just food for thought. YMMV.

MisterGrubbs
07-25-2017, 11:44 PM
Texas, it won't be a rifle I'm trekking through back country. I will be shooting steel for fun. I imagine I might take my hand at a comp some day, but no day soon.

I do not want a 15lb rifle. Hoping to keep it closer to 8-10. That's with the vortex and a 6-9 swivel Harris mounted. I have been considering 24" barrel. Heavy Palma is one I've been looking at, but I would imagine that's a 5# barrel.

Told ya, I'm a nooby

Note - I wouldn't be upset if it were a solid round for whitetail inside 300yd or so, thus the reason I've been eyeballing the 6.5 or 260

Ryan

RustyShackle
07-26-2017, 01:37 AM
If you're going as far as upgrading the bbl you might as well include an upgraded recoil lug and nut.

6.5 creed is pretty popular with a great following and there are a good many number of factory makes and weights of ammo.

You might also also browse the classifieds and see what comes up for sale.

MisterGrubbs
07-26-2017, 02:39 AM
If you're going as far as upgrading the bbl you might as well include an upgraded recoil lug and nut.

6.5 creed is pretty popular with a great following and there are a good many number of factory makes and weights of ammo.

You might also also browse the classifieds and see what comes up for sale.

Touche. I am really having a hard time on the barrel front. So many mixed reviews of the "low end" barrels such as eabco and Shaw scare the chit out of me.

Recoil lug and nut were on the list :)

SageRat Shooter
07-26-2017, 11:47 AM
http://northlandshooterssupply.com/match-grade-barrels/criterion-savage/

How about just a bit over $300.00 for a match grade, hand lapped barrel? I'm a big fan of my criterion barrels that I have, but Shilen I hear is just as good. You can get everything you need pretty much (go/no go gauges, barrel nut, recoil lug, and Barrel nut wrench. The barrel vise, I'm not sure about though.... I just finished putting my 260 rem together in the last month, and she will shoot .5 MOA if I do my part.

Good luck man, It will become an addiction!

strut64
07-26-2017, 12:22 PM
Be careful of using Palma weight barrel in a Boyd's AT-1 stock. Initial info was that the AT-1 would not take a heavy barrel. Talk to the people at Boyds first. other wise I think your on the right track. The Creedmore is highly thought of. Good luck.

MisterGrubbs
07-26-2017, 02:38 PM
All right, barrel has been ordered. 24" threaded ss Wilson arrel. I know there's not a lot of folks that have experience with them, so we shall see. Grabbed it from the guys at ragged hole. My min concern is the barrel at .700 and if I will have flyers after the barrel heats up

MisterGrubbs
07-27-2017, 07:01 PM
Where's the best and cheapest place to grab a recoil lug and nut?

RustyShackle
07-28-2017, 01:09 AM
Where's the best and cheapest place to grab a recoil lug and nut?

NSS would be a good place to start, there are a handful of guys producing a few variances of recoil lugs.

MisterGrubbs
07-28-2017, 01:22 AM
NSS would be a good place to start, there are a handful of guys producing a few variances of recoil lugs.

I had planned on buying new, but just for the sake of argument - is it necessary for any reason to buy new?

SageRat Shooter
07-28-2017, 09:58 AM
I had planned on buying new, but just for the sake of argument - is it necessary for any reason to buy new?

Only if you want the best precision you can get. The Savage Recoil lug is not a "precision" lug.... I also think the Savage barrel nuts aren't that great either. But unless you have the smooth barrel nut, you can reuse it.

RustyShackle
07-28-2017, 10:50 AM

Nope, you could buy used and it should work just fine, unless it has been damaged or altered by the previous owner.

MisterGrubbs
07-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Only if you want the best precision you can get. The Savage Recoil lug is not a "precision" lug.... I also think the Savage barrel nuts aren't that great either. But unless you have the smooth barrel nut, you can reuse it.

I do not have a smooth nut

What's the difference in lugs? I would assume(unless I'm crazy) that a flat piece of metal...is a flat piece of metal.

Ryan

SageRat Shooter
07-28-2017, 12:08 PM

What's the difference in lugs? I would assume(unless I'm crazy) that a flat piece of metal...is a flat piece of metal.

Ryan

it's a matter of quality... That's the only way I can describe it... If you order one when you order your barrel, you will be able to see what I'm talking about when you compare the one you have already and the one you order. Savage heats the barrel nut when they put it on originally, which results in a warping of the nut, therefore no longer "precisely" flat.

It's kind of like having your action face timed and trued as apposed to not doing it. I'm not a competition guy myself, but I wanted every last drop of accuracy I could get out of my build, just to shoot milk jugs, rabbits, foxes, PDs, coyotes, or any other varmint that may be in the fields out to 1000 yards.

You are "competing" There are dudes out there that can put 10 shots in the X ring @ 1000 yards in high winds.... If you want to WIN!! don't cut the corners on "precision"... it's a $27.00 item and the barrel nut is $28.00 (if ordered with the barrel).

Take it for what its worth.... My belief is: If I'm going to build something myself, "I'm going to do it right" to the best ability that my pocket book can tolerate... and an Extra $60 for a "Precision barrel nut and Recoil lug" isn't going to break the bank. Especially compared to the $1000.00+ you'll be spending on Optics alone...

RC20
07-28-2017, 01:19 PM
Ok, my opinion here is that all the blueprint is vastly overrated and more so for the Savage.

Ditto for the nut and recoil lug (though having one to replace a smooth nut is a good idea)

Now, if we were all Dale Tubbs, maybe. Those very tiny improvements can mean the difference between 1st and tenth, for .00000001 % of the population.

Are we that .0000000001? I sure am not.

My opinion is you can build a 1/4 MOA rifle out of a basic Savage.

I would build up a good solid Savage and what you have done so far is fine.

Get any of the Shilen or Criterion pre fit Savage barrels (NSS). Lothar Walther does not make a pre fit for 6.5 yet, if they did that would be my first choices as its the best finish I have seen, harder metal (longer life) and at $327.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/339.php

They do make the 260 Remington (6.5) and the 6.5 Norma but not Lapua or Creed yet.

Yes its going to cost you $400. I would not try to do with a Standard savage barrel.

RC20
07-28-2017, 01:25 PM
it's a matter of quality... That's the only way I can describe it... If you order one when you order your barrel, you will be able to see what I'm talking about when you compare the one you have already and the one you order. Savage heats the barrel nut when they put it on originally, which results in a warping of the nut, therefore no longer "precisely" flat

We need to quash that one immediately. Mr. Furious has been to the Savage plant, they do not heat the nut. Metallurgicaly heating it and letting it cool off in that configuration would cause it to loosen up. Its not an interference fit.

The hard remove (very hard on some) is due to remands of polishing material in the barrel threads.

RC20
07-28-2017, 01:37 PM

Ryan

The contention is that the factory lugs are stamped out and not flat.

I have mike a couple and they are as flat as I can measure (granted down to .0005 but that's ****ed good)

Back to what I contend. You can build at least a good 3/8 Savage (maybe a bit better) off a Savage action and nut and lug.

I would put my money into a better barrel.

That said, a Stainless barrel nut is a cool looking accessory. I like some bling, but I know when its bling and not required.