PDA

View Full Version : Starting a build

Pages : [1] 2

lungpuncher1
03-30-2017, 09:19 AM
I have purchased a 111 action that was a 270. Ive been doing my homework and i have my plans pretty well mapped out but one thing, caliber. Im stuck

Im a deer hunter first and foremost which has led me to lean towards a 7mm08, light recoil for my wife and a great deer killer. However something tells me to go big due to a likely western opportunity and go with a 7mm mag, 28 nosler or something similar, also just because I don't have a mag.

Can a 7mm08 be a western gun if needed? Not nessesarilly elk but mule deer, antelope 200-500 yard shots?

I am a reloader by the way.

hereinaz
03-30-2017, 09:43 AM
Hand loaded, I think a 7-08 could poke the right kind of hole at 500 done with the right bullet.

My 2 cents. Get a 7 mm rem mag for the long shots you may take. Use the light 120-140 grain bullets for deer no problem. Use the Berger 169 grain VLD for the longer shots because of increasing BC. Or, if you want to seriously go long, get a fast twist barrel for the 180 grain VLD and shoot only VLD bullets from Berger, Hornady, etc.
from it.

I would go with at least a 24 inch barrel. 25 or 26 if you can.

You can download it to 7-08 levels for your wife. Add a good recoil pad, and its a sweet shooting rifle. A muzzle brake and its a gentle giant.

Best of both worlds.

Or, get a 280 or 280 AI. It is right between 7-08 and 7mm. 28 Nosler sounds neat, but haven't really looked at it cause my 7 rem mag has me covered.

And, 7mm rem mag ammo is available everywhere. Hornady ELD factory ammo shoots real good. You can buy other good ammo too. I have one rifle that shot white box at MOA when I started breaking in the barrel.

I have the 7mm rem mag, and just got a 7-08 barrel for kids. Love the 7mm bullets that are available.

SageRat Shooter
03-30-2017, 09:44 AM
7MM-08, 6.5 Creedmoor, or like I'm doing (on the same action) a 260 Remington. It's a light kicker also, and has been used to take Elk and Moose. The 260 also carries roughly 87% of the down range energy that a 300 win mag using a 180+ grain bullet has, but the 260 only uses a 140 grain bullet to do it. And you reload, so you have no problem with ammo supply (off the shelf). 7mm-08 and 260 rem are pretty much the same performance wise.

Welcome to the Savage addiction!!

hereinaz
03-30-2017, 09:51 AM
7MM-08, 6.5 Creedmoor, or like I'm doing (on the same action) a 260 Remington. It's a light kicker also, and has been used to take Elk and Moose. The 260 also carries roughly 87% of the down range energy that a 300 win mag using a 180+ grain bullet has, but the 260 only uses a 140 grain bullet to do it. And you reload, so you have no problem with ammo supply (off the shelf). 7mm-08 and 260 rem are pretty much the same performance wise.

Welcome to the Savage addiction!!
Sage rat is right about the 6.5 millimeter bullet. I have a. 260, and I like it a lot. The EABCO barrel, i think from Shaw, and it shoots good. I don't think you could go wrong with the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 260 for deer or Antelope to 500. It is pretty much indistinguishable from a 7 millimeter bullet, but for the same weight Bullet, you get a higher BC in the vld.

I came to my conclusion above about the 7 millimeter bullet so I'll be selling my 260. Eventually.

big honkin jeep
03-30-2017, 09:57 AM
.270 is superior to the 7-08. Yeah it has a little more recoil but there is something magic about a 130gr bullet at 3200fps. Thunderbolts and Lightning in a brass case.
If you are worried about recoil give Hodgdons H4895 a try. It can be safely loaded down by as much as 60% of a max charge. Here's a link to some youth hunting load data. http://www.wwpowder.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf This data is not all the way at the bottom of the charge scale and provides significant recoil reduction with plenty of killing power and is probably close if not less than a .243 in recoil. The recoil drops off much more sharply than the velocity and with this powder you can adjust the recoil to your liking and still maintain good velocity. Downloading the .270 may just save you a nice chunk of change while retaining the best of the .270s capability. More than one way to skin a cat.

The 7-08 and the .308 are so close to each other to be nearly identical in most every way at practical hunting ranges with similar weight bullets. I bought into the 7-08 hype many years ago and quickly realized there wasn't enough difference to keep buying ammo and components for em both. I have been downloading the .308 for the grandkids nieces and nephews with H4895 and 125-130gr bullets for a while now and have gotten to where I prefer to shoot em myself. 8 and 9 year old relatives go through em like they're candy popping off 50 rounds in a range trip and wanting more with a big grin on their faces. Being able to stretch the budget with less powder is another plus.
Just thought I'd throw an alternative out there for you to consider.

Another alternative is the 25-06. Built one for my now adult son when he was 11 and liked it so much had to get one for myself. 4 grandkids later he still hunts with it every season. Those 110gr accubonds at 3200 get on out there and take care of business while being a puddy tat on the back end.

hereinaz
03-30-2017, 10:08 AM
.270 is superior to the 7-08. Yeah it has a little more recoil but there is something magic about a 130gr bullet at 3200fps. Thunderbolts and Lightning in a brass case.
If you are worried about recoil give Hodgdons H4895 a try. It can be safely loaded down by as much as 60% of a max charge. Here's a link to some youth hunting load data. http://www.wwpowder.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf This data is not all the way at the bottom of the charge scale and provides significant recoil reduction with plenty of killing power and is probably close if not less than a .243 in recoil. The recoil drops off much more sharply than the velocity and with this powder you can adjust the recoil to your liking and still maintain good velocity. Downloading the .270 may just save you a nice chunk of change while retaining the best of the .270s capability. More than one way to skin a cat.

The 7-08 and the .308 are so close to each other to be nearly identical in most every way at practical hunting ranges with similar weight bullets. I bought into the 7-08 hype many years ago and quickly realized there wasn't enough difference to keep buying ammo and components for em both. I have been downloading the .308 for the grandkids nieces and nephews with H4895 and 125-130gr bullets for a while now and have gotten to where I prefer to shoot em myself. 8 and 9 year old relatives go through em like they're candy popping off 50 rounds in a range trip and wanting more with a big grin on their faces. Being able to stretch the budget with less powder is another plus.
Just thought I'd throw an alternative out there for you to consider.

Another alternative is the 25-06. Built one for my now adult son when he was 11 and liked it so much had to get one for myself. 4 grandkids later he still hunts with it every season. Those 110gr accubonds at 3200 get on out there and take care of business while being a puddy tat on the back end.
Thunderbolts and Lightning in a brass case... [emoji2]

lungpuncher1
03-30-2017, 11:22 AM
I should have mentioned i have several 270s so i am not interested in another one or something too similar to a 270. I love my 270s but ready for a change.

I bought this gun strictly to build off of.

hereinaz
03-30-2017, 11:37 AM
This information from Applied Ballistics help solidify me on the 7 millimeter bullet.

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/ABDOC109_1_7mmPart1.pdf

SageRat Shooter
03-30-2017, 11:41 AM
Sounds to me like you want to go with the 7-08... It's a nice caliber too. Everybody is different in regards to what they prefer.

lungpuncher1
03-30-2017, 11:43 AM
Sounds to me like you wan to go with the 7-08... It's a nice caliber too. Everybody is different in regards to what they prefer.
I guess what keeps me from going 100% 7mag is i know in the back of my head my 270 will lay a mulie or antelope out within reasonable distances.

But then again everyone needs a magnum right? Haha

Also thanks for all the responses. Great info here.

hereinaz
03-30-2017, 11:51 AM
Go 7-08.

You won't have to change as many pieces parts for your build. It will be easier. Mag bolt heads have been scarce at suppliers.

If you get the bug for the mag later, it is a barrel and bolt head swap. Or, buy another 110 in magnum and its just the barrel.

The Savage bug will hit you, and you'll think why not...

lungpuncher1
03-30-2017, 11:55 AM
It's already hit me....haha. i think ill go 7mm08 and in the mean time be on the lookout for a mag action.

SageRat Shooter
03-30-2017, 12:01 PM
Here's something that will really make you happy then. Hornady now has a .277 ELD-X (145 grain) VLD bullet that shoots really well out of a standard 1-10 twist barrel... So you do actually have an upgrade for your .270 now if you want to extend your range a bit more... antelope at 500 yards is doable.

RC20
03-30-2017, 03:32 PM
If you want your wife to shoot it a 7mm mag is not the way to go.

308 (and I assume the 7-08) can be loaded down better than a magnum as case capacity is smaller.

Or get her own rifle, in that case I would go with the 6.5 Creed or Lapua (more Creed as its more available)

You should also research bullet choice for an Elk.

hereinaz
03-30-2017, 03:38 PM
I understand you can load a 7mm down to 7-08 level recoil and a 7-08 down to .243 recoil.

So, it all depends how far down. I understood that for wife it was full power 7-08, so a 7mm could be down loaded...

big honkin jeep
03-30-2017, 06:07 PM
I guess what keeps me from going 100% 7mag is i know in the back of my head my 270 will lay a mulie or antelope out within reasonable distances.

But then again everyone needs a magnum right? Haha

Also thanks for all the responses. Great info here.

Or most anything in North America and a whole lot of what roams the plains of Africa like a gold medal Kudu, 600# a 130gr Hornady interlock sure got it done, or gold medal Eland (target of opportunity)at 1900# a well placed 130gr Hornady interlock absolutely stoned him, Zebra, Gemsbok and the list goes on.
A whole lot of folks way underestimate the .270. It's a fine "out west" caliber and even suitable for some large tough African plains game.

If you just want something different hey give the 7-08 a try. After all it's a .270 mini me like the .308 is to the -06. As for me after reading all the hype I was a little let down as the recoil was more than expected and the trajectory wasn't what I expected. All in all it's a ".308 twin" with factory ammo being a little harder to find as well as typically more expensive. I went out of the 7-08 business and consolidated most of my short actions to .308 because of the versatility offered by modern components, and haven't looked back. As far as a magnum, well throw recoil sensitivity concerns out the window. and be careful with bullet selection as most magnum rifles may be a bit much for medium sized game.Yeah it can be loaded down but then you're right back to .270. Also you're going to need to swap to a magnum bolt head instead of just a straight barrel swap. Though not as much fun or as educational it may be more economical and behoove you in the long run to just sell or trade what you've got for what you want.
Good luck with your project.

RC20
03-30-2017, 07:23 PM
I understand you can load a 7mm down to 7-08 level recoil and a 7-08 down to .243 recoil.

So, it all depends how far down. I understood that for wife it was full power 7-08, so a 7mm could be down loaded...

Yes, I was talking about the 7mm mag. That's a real butt kicker. Some disagree, but having shot 338 and 375 HH, the 7mm was by far the nastiest kick, and I am no light weight.

Mine is now gone, I hunted with it. I never shot it any more than needed for sight in.

The one chance I got to use the range I blew it. Been better off with a 30-06.

Phranque
03-30-2017, 07:53 PM
The 7-08 and the .308 are so close to each other to be nearly identical in most every way at practical hunting ranges with similar weight bullets.

I shoot both 308 & 7-08, and the above is very true... You certainly won't be disappointed with a 7-08, but at normal hunting ranges, you won't be able to tell the difference (nor will the critter). If you think you may get the opportunity to stretch her legs out with some long-range targets, that's where the 7mm pill really starts to shine over the 30 cal. Below are a couple of range cards... mind you these are of target loads, not hunting loads, but they give you a good comparison.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t93/phranquey/range%20308_zpsxbtxekiv.jpg
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t93/phranquey/range%20708_zpsmpydfnbu.jpg

lungpuncher1
03-30-2017, 07:56 PM
I believe I'm going to roll with the 7mm08 and be on the look out for another action to build my magnum later.

Without starting another thread is there a way to convert a centerfeed 110 LA to a factory dbm? I really don't want a huge mag release. Just a low profile set up for hunting.

RC20
03-31-2017, 02:14 PM
Might be better off getting an older TBR blind mag 110/111 for the donner.

I would look on Gun Broker and get one in the cartridge family (375 HH hull) and you would be mostly setup.